Caswell-Massey New York's New Location

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
2clfrwrds

Caswell-Massey New York's New Location

Post by 2clfrwrds »

The flagship Caswell-Massey shop on Lexington is no more. When I visited the new location today, the cashier told me their old landlord had other plans for the space, and C-M lost their lease after more than 80 years.

The new location is interesting: a converted church at the corner of West 20th and 6th.

The former church houses a lot of boutiques, and C-M is reduced to 5 racks of shelves on the second floor. Although they've crammed in as many products as they could, the full range is not available. There are still quite a few aftershave splashes and balms, colognes, and talcs. Many of the women's lines are available too.

My opinion: If I were in the neighborhood, I'd stop in, but unless you're a big fan of C-M products, it may not be worth a special trip anymore.

--Glenn
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Too bad, C&M has some great products and history, sad to see this American brand floundering. Wish someone would take this one back and re-establish it, we could do with a few more success story's on this side of the pond.
Good shaving,

Gary
Tommynick

Post by Tommynick »

This used to be the Limelight Disco. I spent many a drunken night there in the mid 80s. Sorry to see c&M lose their lease. The Charlotte store has closed and been replaced by an Art of Shaving store. Sad
brothers

Post by brothers »

I dunno, maybe there are other retail spaces available for rent in NYC, don't you suppose?

I've never had the pleasure of visiting NYC, but I'd love nothing more than a tourist trip there. When I was telling my wife that, she reminded me that she's always wanted to see Vermont and New Hampshire, etc., so that gave me hope that I can put something together that will make both of us happy.

If I should go to NYC, I probably wouldn't be visiting Caswell Massey, but I'm sure I could find Pasteur's and the other one that I can't remember the name of right now, start with a C and has 2 words? Anyway, I guess that sums it up.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Good plan, Gary. There's a Pasteur's less than 3 blocks from Central Park. You could dissipate Mrs. Brothers' irritation ("We're in New York, and you spend 45 minutes in a drug store the size of our dining room!") with a cozy horse-drawn carriage ride through the park.

--Glenn
brothers

Post by brothers »

That's good advice. I can't wait. :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Bob

Post by Bob »

Tommynick wrote:This used to be the Limelight Disco. I spent many a drunken night there in the mid 80s. Sorry to see c&M lose their lease. The Charlotte store has closed and been replaced by an Art of Shaving store. Sad
I think the Limelight was the first place I ever bought $5.00 beers. I hope the girls from the Fashion Institute of Technology were impressed, but I doubt it.

We lost our C-M store here in Pittsburgh years ago. They closed down without ever giving me any notice, and I was a loyal customer for many years. They are a shadow of their former self.
--Bob--
brothers

Post by brothers »

There is a shop in our city that a year ago, sold Trumpers. When I started shopping for Christmas this year, I went by there, asked about Trumpers, and they said, that Trumper's didn't sell, so we had a big closeout sale and now we carry all of the Caswell Massey shaving products. I was hacked off that I didn't know about the closeout sale! What the ****!
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Cambridge Chemists is the place you're thinking of. And it's still worth a visit for sure, but even it is not what it was until a couple of years ago....they were forced to relocate also, you see. Jeez!...I used to pass that church on 20th & 6th every day!....and it was still actually a church then, I think ( late '70s ). What a weird place for such an old, classic, and at one time, famous American brand to wind up....sad.
Regards,
Gordon