Which almond cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
mustang66

Which almond cream

Post by mustang66 »

Hi All,

I recently just finished a pot of taylors almond, I really enjoyed this cream and got a much nicer and smoother shave out of it than I got from the Taylor Rose or the Taylors lemon/lime which I was not a fan of at all.

What other nice almond creams are there, I was looking at either the truefitt and hill or the trumpers almond. How do these compare?

Thanks
tweedcab

Post by tweedcab »

A look to the Italian creams might prove useful. Cella and Valobra are very fine creams. D.R. Harris also has a very fine offering. Personally, if you are looking for top notch performance and enjoy an almond scent, Cella, would be my first choice in a cream.
drumana

Post by drumana »

I recommend Cella as well. To my nose, the scent isn't as strong or 'foody' smelling as some of the others (T&H, C.R. Salter, TOBS...). It's still noticeably an almond scent, but it hits me as a mild soapy almond, not too sweet. It performs great for me, maybe even the best.
-Andrew-
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I highly recommend the T&H almond cream, it's excellent. Of course, Trumpers almond is excellent as well. The T&H provides a tad closer cut and I prefer the scent over other almond creams.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Hmm....the part of your post that especially interests me is the business about getting some other kind of shave from the Taylors Rose and Lemon/Lime creams. I can understand preferring one scent over another but I don't understand why the shave itself would be different. That's certainly not been my experiance and the creams are pretty much identical except for the scent. As far as Almond creams go, all the top shelf English purveyors are fairly similiar; Taylors, T&H, Trumpers, and D R Harris, and they're all excellent. There are slight differences but generally if one likes one of them any of the others would also meet with approval. To me, the scents don't vary that much either which is why, with Almond, I'll go with the Taylors as oft as not ( it being markedly less expensive ). At the moment, my one pot of Almond cream is from D R Harris and it is excellent.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Hi Gordon,

For me I found the almond gave a much better comfortable shave, I felt there was more cushion and the almond was significantly more comfortable. The rose was not bad, but the almond in my opinion was significantly better.

For me the lemon/lime was not good at all, the cream seemed very hard and old in the pot I had, the shave I got was not good, maybe it was a bad pot. But for me the almond was a standout from the 3 creams
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeah, the condition/age of the creams mixed with whatever your water and lathering style is must be the explanation because, trust me, the creams themselves, per se, barely differ at all. But the condition of the pots one gets can vary considerably and this can effect how the cream/lather is experianced. And, of course, some gents have skin reactions to certain scenting ingrediants but that doesn't seem to be the issue here.
Regards,
Gordon
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Acca Kappa 1869 alla mandorla (tube).Has lanolin and shea butter and a great almond scent.For me light years away in skin care and scent of the TOBS almond.
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Thanks guys, I am going to order some of this Cella cream also to try, I like the proraso too, seems the italians make some decent creams and soaps, I will give that a try, price is right too.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Coates was the best of the lot in my view, followed by Harris, the three T's in no particular order, then Salter. The C&E Sweet Almond was so different that it has to be rated on a different axis.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

My favourite isn't available any longer -- C&E Sweet Almond Oil --- I luckily still have a couple of nib tubs stored in a cool dark place and an open one with about 40% still left. It's a cherished treasure that I have been nursing for a long time now. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Tell me if you get desperate, Wendell.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
paddy

Post by paddy »

agreed. crabtree and evelyn sweet almond oil cream is absolutely top notch.

funny, i finished my second last tub of it just last week. just got one pot left, so will need to eek that out.

of those almond creams still readily available, i am partial to both truefitt and trumper.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

drmoss_ca wrote:Tell me if you get desperate, Wendell.

Chris
As they say in The North, "Us Men Together!", but remember to speak it with a mancunian accent - kind of like this .....

Uuss men two-gethah!
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

mustang if you liked Taylors then Truefitt or Trumpers should serve well.
Regards,
Squire
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

I have been using Cyril Salter Almond for a week or so and, for me it is great. Wonderful almond scent and fantastic lather. It provides me with a most comfortable and close shave. I highly recommend. Plus, my wife loves it.

Ed
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

I really like the C&E Sweet Almond cream, and have a stash of it that I picked up some time ago as soon as the rumors started it was going to be discontinued. I keep an open tub and use it now and then just to remember what an extraordinary shave it provides. The scent really can't be compared to anything else. Too bad they got rid of it.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Can someone please post the list of ingredients for C&E SAO, really curious to what they may have put in it to make it different to the other almond creams on the market.

For almond I am using TOBS new formula at the moment.

I had a puck of C&E's SAO shaving soap and did enjoy the floral almond scent.
Good shaving,

Gary
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sorry -- I don't have any boxes -- keep them stored without the box. :oops:
Wendell

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, The old original C&E Almond shave cream had pretty much the same ingrediants list as Trumpers etc. and was plainly a Creighton made cream.
Regards,
Gordon