blades you use now that Super Iridiums are hard to get

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
mustang66

blades you use now that Super Iridiums are hard to get

Post by mustang66 »

Hi All,

Just wanted to know what blades you guys are now using that you cant get the super iridiums. I am all out of my DE blades and unfortunately did not order any iridiums before this out of stock issue.

What blades do you guys recommend now?

I have a Gillette Tech

Thanks
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

That is a very subjective request since we are all Eccentric Preferential Wet Shaving Enthusisasts.

Blades are always a YMMV.There are several that come to mind but what works for me may not work for you. I see a sampler pack in your future.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Oscar is right that preferences in blades vary wildly. What one of us likes you may well not.

I like Treet blades:
Dura Sharp (the latest version, yellow box with red lettering, carbon steel with PTFE coating) and
Platinum Super Stainless.

The latter are moderately priced blades, while for former (which I prefer, anyway) are fairly low-priced. I find both blades sharp and smooth.

Again, I would emphasize that this is my preference. It may not be yours.

- Murray
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Murray,

Thanks for your advice, Treet Platinum Super Stainless is a blade I can get very easy locally in small packs and packs of a 100, so I may get a box and give these a go.

Have you used the Crystal, how do the treets compare for you?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeah, there is precious little in the way of real consensus re: DE blades. As you can see from the above, many of us have gotten to the point where we are cautious about even making recommendations. The Iridiums were one of the few blades that there was a more or less consensus on. The Crystal/Israeli Personnas are another. While not that many members rave about them and proclaim them to be the best blade going ( although there are a few who do ), almost all agree that they are decent and very consistant blades. Personally, if I was forced to use anything that is definately currently made/available it would probably come down to the Crystals.
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I haven't used Crystals for a long time, but I think the Treet Dura Sharps and the Platinum Super Stainless are sharper. If you can get some of the Treets easily, as you say, they're definitely worth trying. If you can get Crystals, try them too.

The Treets, like most blades, have their supporters and their detractors. The Crystals have more universal acceptance.

- Murray
dawgvet

Post by dawgvet »

I find the 7 O'clock Gillette yellow box to be darn close as these and Irridiums have been my go-to blades for the past several months.
Regards,
Jedidiah
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

You should get a sampler with more than one manufacturer's blades in it.

I agree with others here about two things: blade preference is indeed subjective, and that Israeli Blues are a brand not much-maligned in the forums. They're one of my favorites. And that means nothing for anybody else. See paragraph #1, above! :)
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Mitsimonsta

Post by Mitsimonsta »

Blade selection now has more to do with the particular shaver than anything else. Their skin and beard combination, as well as experience and shaving skills will have the biggest effect on a particular razor/blade combination. Lather and prep will also play a part.

One school of thought is that the milder the razor, then the sharper the blade should be. Many are getting good results from Techs with Feathers, and also the Crystals/Israeli Personnas.

I would also look for a sample pack. Get a wide variety of blades and test them.
Joel

Currently DE86, NOS Bleue Extra, Muhle Pure Badger and TOBS Sandalwood.
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Thanks for the recommendations, I have a Gillette Tech so I may try the feathers, I did try these once in my old Merkur Futur but they cut my face up, needless to say most blades did in that razor.

I may give the feathers one more go in the more gentler tech and see how I go, if not will go for the crystals.

May even try and order some Gillette Yellows from west coast.
Mitsimonsta

Post by Mitsimonsta »

mustang66 wrote:May even try and order some Gillette Yellows from west coast.
Just realised you are local to me. Will see if I can sort you out with some samples. PM incoming.
Joel

ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

Mitsimonsta wrote:Blade selection now has more to do with the particular shaver than anything else. Their skin and beard combination, as well as experience and shaving skills will have the biggest effect on a particular razor/blade combination. Lather and prep will also play a part.

One school of thought is that the milder the razor, then the sharper the blade should be. Many are getting good results from Techs with Feathers, and also the Crystals/Israeli Personnas.

I would also look for a sample pack. Get a wide variety of blades and test them.
Probably the best explanation I have ever read. I couldn't agree more.

I quit offering suggestions a while back because of this. I have a very light beard and blades that work for me suck for someone with super heavy and thick beard. What works for them dont work for me. I use Feathers and Iridiums personally. I was able to obtain 500 Iridiums so I am set for a while and Feathers are always available through Pauldog for a phenomenal price.
Mitsimonsta

Post by Mitsimonsta »

ATLpr8head wrote:Probably the best explanation I have ever read. I couldn't agree more.
I started on Derbys, and my skills were not that great to start with, and my lather was also pretty pathetic as I tried to pick up the skills I needed.

Now, in my mind, Derby's are rubbish blades compared to the experiences I have had lately with the Dark Blue Cardboard Platinums from Gillette, the NOS GBE's, and the other blades I have been running lately.

I am going to go back and force myself to run my original starting lineup (Derby, Proraso) and see if my skills have improved a blade that I felt was quite rough.
ATLpr8head wrote:I quit offering suggestions a while back because of this. I have a very light beard and blades that work for me suck for someone with super heavy and thick beard. What works for them dont work for me. I use Feathers and Iridiums personally. I was able to obtain 500 Iridiums so I am set for a while and Feathers are always available through Pauldog for a phenomenal price.
Absolutely. I like to make sure that the person asking for ideas of blades to try are aware that it is themselves who is the biggest variable in the whole situation. I know people with oily skin like myself have a hard time with Col Conk, but that is experience - and I also know how to get around it and get an excellent shave.

My last shave, I totally tore myself up on Dorco 301's as they were so smooth that I could not feel the blade against my skin at all. And that's where the pressure crept in, and whammo - instantly I was regretting the blade choice. 10 seconds of thought made me realise it was actually my own fault, not the blades.

Out here in Australia, we don't have many vendors of DE gear. There is one that is quite good but is very expensive. The alternative is to order from the same places you do, and with our current Aussie-US Dollar rate it is very attractive. However, you will usually wait 2 weeks for your order to arrive. It is very much a choice of circumstance. We like to help each other out too, swap products and samples as the cost of buying samples from overseas is pretty high.

As I have a fairly large spread of blades - and some that are hard to get and almost impossible to get. I have offered mustang66 a large sampler of blades at a small price since he is in Australia. I think there was something like 121 blades in a range of 5 and 10 packs.

He has indicated that some Yellows might be appropriate once mine arrive - I have an order placed on Friday which hopefully will be here soon. Hopefully I can help him out. No point in buying a $3 pack of blade and it costing you $6-$6.50 to get it posted.
Joel

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

mustang what blades are available to you?
Regards,
Squire
Julius_Rodman

Re: blades you use now that Super Iridiums are hard to get

Post by Julius_Rodman »

Feathers....

--------------

Kent
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Squire, here we can get the Feathers, merkur, treet, crystal, IP's, derby, lord. No one really locally has ever had the Iridiums or Gillette Yellows which were the blades I was looking too.

I could order the Gillette yellows from west coast.

As Mitsimonsta said its around 2 weeks delivery which is fine, but the shipping can really add up after a while. Mitsimonsta has offered me a sampler pack which I will get.

The feathers are probably one of the easier blades to get locally and these may well suit my Gillette Tech. However in the futur I used to have the Feathers messed me up.

The derbys to me at least seem harsh and felt dull not as sharp as I wanted particularly in the Gillette tech.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Other than mail order I would get the Treet Dura Sharps in the white/yellow striped box.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Treet Dura Sharps are among my backups for when the Super Iridiums run out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Mitsimonsta

Post by Mitsimonsta »

Squire wrote:Other than mail order I would get the Treet Dura Sharps in the white/yellow striped box.
Those are certainly on my list to purchase. However I need to add more products with it, and only try to order one package a month from one vendor. I am yet to order from Bullgoose and he has the Treets at a reasonable price, along with the Indian Wilks which I think I want to be able to put a nice number into my hoard.

I must say that I am a big fan of your blade reviews Squire. I have a few packs of blades that you have not reviewed as yet, and would be more than pleased to send them to you for your inspection and opinion. I have Rapira Super Stainless, SuperMax Super Stainless, SuperMax Super Platinum, SuperMax Blue Diamond, Gillette Platinum (Dark Blue cardboard box) and Gillette Superthins (Vietnamese). I'd love to see a comparison of the Gillette Platinum bevel & hone against the NOS Bleue Extras which I would also be happy to supply totally gratis.

I realise that the GBE's are out of production and that you only deal with in-production blades, but I believe that the Gillette Platinums are very close to the GBE's, plus the GBE's are available in reasonable numbers from some vendors for now.

Please let me know and I will get them off to you straight away.
Joel

Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

brothers wrote:The Treet Dura Sharps are among my backups for when the Super Iridiums run out.
Lessee, I have about 6 or 7 Super Iridiums left, and about 15 Polsilvers.

At the rate I've been using them, that should be good for about 2-3 more years. Too many Treet DuraSharps to use up, among othes.

One word of caution: these Treet carbon steel blades are a love 'em or hate 'em affair. They work for some, but not for everyone. In the Review section over at B&B, opinion runs a little over 60% favorable, the rest not so favorable. They may not be quite as sharp as an Iridium, and not as long-lasting, but soooo nice while they last.