Fedoras

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
SRD

Fedoras

Post by SRD »

Since the Iridium panic thread got sidetracked a bit with some talk of fedoras I thought I would post a thread with a couple of photos of a couple of my fedoras. Another really bad habit.

This one I received yesterday. The color is Silvermist and is made on the design of an old Adams Majestic by Art Fawcett. The felt is fabulous and the ribbon work superb.

[/img]Image

This is another Art Fawcett creation in the color Granite. Again notice the gorgeous ribbon work.

Here they are together just to give you an idea of the difference in color.

[/img]Image

So let's see some of yours. I have a lot of them including Stetson, Mallory, and Knox from the 1940's as well as modern day Stetson and Akubra.
Dave
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

:shock:

I haven't owned a fedora since I purchase one as an 18 yr old from a men's boutique on the Sparks Street Mall in Ottawa. Loved that hat -- my folks thought it a bit gangster for me.

Beautiful hats!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

Can't get enough of these hats.

So far I have 9, if you count the all weather models and the pork-pie.

Just wish it were cooler more of the year so my sweaty fat head could wear them year 'round.
SRD

Post by SRD »

[quote="funkthulhu"]Can't get enough of these hats.

So far I have 9, if you count the all weather models and the pork-pie.

Just wish it were cooler more of the year so my sweaty fat head could wear them year 'round.[/quote]

Got get a couple of Panamas. Perfect for the summer.
Dave
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Akubra

Stetson:

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Guess it's time to retire my Homburg.
Regards,
Squire
SRD

Post by SRD »

Squire wrote:Guess it's time to retire my Homburg.
I wouldn't. The Homburg is hard to beat as a lid for really dressy formal type occasions.
Dave
AZShaver

Post by AZShaver »

Squire wrote:Guess it's time to retire my Homburg.
Nonsense, why be a slave to popular fashion?
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Why indeed.
Regards,
Squire
dawgvet

You just had to do it...

Post by dawgvet »

Oh boy, you just had to start a thread on one of my other obsessions, didn't you. I have to say I am very much envious of your Fawcett fedoras. I have been admiring them for several years on www.thefedoralounge.com . Mighty fine place to learn about hats there. SRD, in your avatar, you wouldn;t be persuing another one of my passions, the wily southern appalachian trout, would you? Here is a pic of my current daily driver, a Akubra Camp Draft, a copy of the older Stetson Open Road
Now if this thread veers off onto bamboo flyrods, I'm sunk!
Good taste, gents.
Jedidiah
Bamboo flyrods, clear creeks, and old Jeeps
"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Far as I'm concerned bamboo and Southern Trout are natural thread drift.
Regards,
Squire
dawgvet

Post by dawgvet »

I couldn't agree more but my wife may be horrified to know that there are that many others who share the same combination of obsessions as I.
Regards,
Jedidiah
SRD

Re: You just had to do it...

Post by SRD »

dawgvet wrote:Oh boy, you just had to start a thread on one of my other obsessions, didn't you. I have to say I am very much envious of your Fawcett fedoras. I have been admiring them for several years on www.thefedoralounge.com . Mighty fine place to learn about hats there. SRD, in your avatar, you wouldn;t be persuing another one of my passions, the wily southern appalachian trout, would you? Here is a pic of my current daily driver, a Akubra Camp Draft, a copy of the older Stetson Open Road
Now if this thread veers off onto bamboo flyrods, I'm sunk!
Good taste, gents.
Jedidiah
Oh yes I would. :lol: That is over at the fabled Hazel Creek that Harry Middleton so beautifully described in his book On The Spine of Time. That bamboo fly rod is a 4wt Payne 102 taper built by AJ Thramer. I love the Open Open and have one in my small collection. Looks very similar to yours. The only Akubra that I have is the Banjo Patterson. Akubra really makes a fine hat.
Dave
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well I'll be, years back that picture could have been me on the same creek with a Thramer/Garrison 209c.
Regards,
Squire
Dexterous

Post by Dexterous »

dawgvet wrote:I couldn't agree more but my wife may be horrified to know that there are that many others who share the same combination of obsessions as I.
Regards,
Jedidiah
We are on the way to becoming an diagnosable syndrome. We'll be in the medical journals soon. Enjoy the notoriety, such as it is.
Detroit - You wouldn't last a week here.
My Blog - shaving product reviews and more
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

all those fedora's are beautiful..

i wish my tilleys where that style

its nice to hats are still alive

marc
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

None of my 3 fedora's are quite that nice.
- A Dark brown Pendleton crush-able safari brim which is nice for daily wear in cooler months or travel.
- A no-name natural color straw fedora which is great in the summertime. Picked it up for way less than it's worth.
- A cheap browns and greys plaid fedora from Target that is almost embarrassing compared to my others and really embarrassing compared to those pictured here.

Wearing the Pendleton today and loving it.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
dawgvet

Post by dawgvet »

Wow, I never knew we had so many wet-shaving, fedora-wearing, cane wavers. I don't feel quite so eclectic, bummer :D Oh, well, it is nice to know I'll have company in the asylum.
Regards, Gents
Jedidiah
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

New AD for me. Sold the akubra. Brim too big and fawn is not a color for me. Ordered a Bailey Barr hat from delmonicohatters in dark grey. 2 inch brim and a luxwool hat. 82.00. Thinking of buckaroo hatters or falcon park hattery for a custom. Falcon seems to be cheaper at 150 but buckaroo is a 45 minute drive and I can see a bunch in person
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Not a big fan of Fedora Hats like you Sam and Dave but do think they are the right look for guys like you two.

I still prefer the Homberg and on ocassion I wear a bowler. These are dress hats only. My everyday hat is a Tilley T4 cotton duck hat for the warmer months and the Tilley T2 Winter Hat for the colder months.

I also see on the Tilley website that they do have a couple Fedoras among their men's hats. Check them out.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum