Shaving the Neck

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
tmoney

Shaving the Neck

Post by tmoney »

Okay, so I made the switch to straight razor shaving about a month ago from DE razor... and the results have been nice, but they have come at a price. My neck. My neck right on my throat, just cannot handle an up pass from a straight razor. Lots of skipping, lots of nicks, cuts and lots of unpleasant, unwanted stops. I dont have this problem with DE Razor, but it is getting worse and worse with my straight. Any solutions?

and FYI: the grain of my hair on my throat grows diagonally (direction from ear to shoulder) and I am using a feather straight razor with the disposable blades and I am using Col. Conk shave soap.

Thanks, Yall.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The Feather straight is viciously sharp, but should never skip or tug or stop unless the angle is wildly wrong. I'd try shaving with it flat on the skin and no pressure at all if I were you, and if it still misbehaves it might be time to try something else. At best the Feather will thin the skin and make you a bit sore unless you can keep to a very light touch with it.
Do other razors give you the same problem?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
tmoney

Post by tmoney »

I havent tried with other straight razors, but with the safety razors, there is no issue.
Tim Zowada

Post by Tim Zowada »

The Feather clamp system forces you to use an angle far more obtuse than you would with a regular straight razor. That leads to razor burn and other nasties, unless you are very careful.

I suggest you try a traditional straight razor. Use as shallow an angle as possible. The spine, of the blade, should nearly touch your skin. I think you will find things much improved.

Tim Z.
tmoney

Post by tmoney »

thanks, Tim. i hope I can try that soon.
tmoney

still shaving

Post by tmoney »

Still shaving with my feather AC and im seeing little change. Could it be that my skin is too sensitive for the blade itself?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Suggest you re-read the replies above. To re-iterate, the Feather straight blades are destructive of facial skin. I have managed to use a Feather daily for an extended period (nearly two years) but gave up when a week of slightly hurried shaves when away from home in 2006 proved to me that the situation was precarious. The fact I managed to go so long might be due to the fact that I have extensive experience with straight razors, especially given that I don't have particularly tough skin. Or, I might have just been lucky!
If you want to be a straight shaver you should do it the proper way with a single blade you gradually learn to maintain yourself. There are no shortcuts to shaving nirvana! We will help you get there if you wish.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

I can't use the Feather daily. Its a once-a-week thing for me (with a Pro blade) but that one shave is very good. The rest of the time it is a conventional straight that I've honed and stropped and so obviously not nearly as sharp as the Feather.