Avoiding brush damage...

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Fido

Avoiding brush damage...

Post by Fido »

This is a really interesting article in Shaving 101 about the way to use a shaving brush and well worth discussing:

http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/edu ... tment.html

I enjoy face lathering using circular/ scrubby motions, sometimes with quite a bit of pressure. But recently I also followed the advice of some manufacturers to use only the tips of the brush in light to and fro motions. The latter is a very effective and enjoyable way of lathering and also is likely to extend the life of a brush.

The Shaving 101 article examines this issue in depth and is well worth a look.
Last edited by Fido on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Fido, Yes, that was always the advice of the Simpson folks, and a little less forcefully of some other top shelf makers as well. Personally, that has always been my lathering style although my initial primary reason for adopting it was so as to not annoy my skin, not because of wear and tear on the brush. None the less, I am quite sure that mashing the brush down on the face and fiercely scrubbing around is not calculated to increase the useful life span of a shave brush. Of course, some of the old 'method shavers' said that they didn't care....and they were using ultra expensive brushes too ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

I used to mash the hell out of my brushes, my first 2 years of wet shaving I used cheap boars, and used to push down terribly hard with them, they were cheap and I really didn't care...

Oddly enough when I moved over to badger brushes, I stopped using so much pressure and concentrated on making sure I was using the tips of the bristles, I do however do the circular motions during the initial lather stage during each pass, but I do move on to the left to right paint brush strokes after.

I really didn't move to the paint brush technique to save any bristles, it just happened, I picked up my Vulfix 2197P and noticed I got the best out of the floppy little brush using it more like a paint brush....

Between my Duke, and the Vulfix, I don't think I have lost more than 4 hairs in over a year, granted I have only had the Duke since this summer.

I also noticed the Plisson EW benefits gratefully from the paintbrush technique on my face, not just for brush longevity but for my face as well :lol:
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

with out any reading or being advised on what is the best for using and getting the longest life from a shaving brush,, reading this makes me a happy guy..

painting or in other words to and fro, or back and forth motions in stead of swirling the brush to apply lather to the face and for loading the brush is how i have always done it

i do not swirl the brush until the brush kinda tells me too. when the brush hairs bloom with soap and feel more flexable then i may swirl the brush a bit..when lathering same thing..and i only do a swirl to help with flow thru

marc
brothers

Post by brothers »

This seems to be the pattern I use also, Marc.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
paddy

Post by paddy »

yea, the basic advice that comes with all simpson brushes comes is that you should try to use paint strokes rather than circular scrubbing, so it's hardly a revelation.

i personally ignore this advice and enjoy circular strokes on the first run round the face as i find it works the soap into the beard more and works up the lather a bit better, then i switch to painter strokes to smooth out and evenly distribute the lather on the face before the shave itself.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Paddy, that sums up my style as well starting with a light swirl. Those Method Shaving Manchurian guys from what I remember back in the day used to literally abuse those brushes to no end.

Max
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Im a brush abuser. I pump it up and down, swirl it around,,,,generally have a grand old time with my brush.

my first brush lasted over 15 years, My vulfix 2234 is still good after 4. I also dont seperate laundry...hahahaha all is good. I say do what feels right for you

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Um, since most shaving mugs and scuttles are round, I think most people swirl the brush in circles and press down on the soap or cream to build a lather. Doesn't seem like that is much different than making the same motions on the face.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

I also dont seperate laundry
people really do that??

hahah
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

My Scuttle even has a swirl on the bottom. Since I learned a lot watching the Mantic videos, I swirl at first then paint bruch to level and even everything out. I don't use a lot of pressure though but I'll have to play around with this. I already have been playing around with my bowl lathering technique. I've found that a little bit of pressure at first followed by barealy any to 'whip it up' has been working for me. About the most pressure I apply is when I load up the soap from the puck.
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

As I said I swirl at first. I like the Ayars/Sara lathering bowl but when it hits the face I enjoy that painting motion so I can use the center and the side hairs of a brush. Get all those hairs involved.

Max
mike

Post by mike »

My name is Mike and I am a brush abuser. I swirl, pump, and paint. My brushes are all over 5 years old and still perform as new. I am happy with my current routine and do not intend to change.
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Following this thread and topic with interest and experience. I lost my first brush, a C&E BBB when it simply developed the doughnut hole from what I gather was my improper lathering.

As the center of the knot of this brush started to give out the brush went floppy and basically unusable.

I am much more careful with my current group of brushes and as many know go brushless quite often.
Good shaving,

Gary
DEF

Post by DEF »

I regularly drive my brush out to the edge of town, shove it out of the car, and make it walk home in the snow and rain. It builds backbone.
Doug
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

DEF wrote:I regularly drive my brush out to the edge of town, shove it out of the car, and make it walk home in the snow and rain. It builds backbone.
You went easy on it...I chopped the knot out of mine. :lol:
Good shaving,

Gary
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've never given any thought to the trials and tribulations my brushes might be forced to endure while I inflict so much terrible abuse on them. Never had any complaints either. I think they like it. :wink:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Yes Doug, That 57 is a workhorse. Dropped him off in Boston, he made his way to New York & he still made his way back to Vermont. The 'Douglas' wants some DR Harris Almond soap in the morning I am informed. Can't wait.

Max
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Someone please refresh my memory, but don't the little instruction sheets that come with the boxed brush recommend the best way of using/not abusing it? Or maybe it just cautions on how to dry it. Never paid much attention to them anyway.
Ron
mike

Post by mike »

rsp1202 wrote:Someone please refresh my memory, but don't the little instruction sheets that come with the boxed brush recommend the best way of using/not abusing it? Or maybe it just cautions on how to dry it. Never paid much attention to them anyway.
Yes they do. Whether or not you abide by the terms of the instructions is entirely up to you. I choose not to--but i'm a risk taker. I even remove the tag from matresses.
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~