Does anyone here do boxing for fitness or in the ring

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
mustang66

Does anyone here do boxing for fitness or in the ring

Post by mustang66 »

Hi All,

Just took up boxing at the age of 35 after doing other martial arts for many years. I have no desire to box in the ring, but for fitness is great, and I am enjoying learning how to box.

Just wanted to know if anyone else here does this also?
joe mcclaine

Re: Does anyone here do boxing for fitness or in the ring

Post by joe mcclaine »

mustang66 wrote:Hi All,

Just took up boxing at the age of 35 after doing other martial arts for many years. I have no desire to box in the ring, but for fitness is great, and I am enjoying learning how to box.

Just wanted to know if anyone else here does this also?
Not yet, but . . .

Did a bit of boxing as a teenager then Judo for a couple of years, then karate for 20+ years.

when I gave up karate (the students are just too namby pamby nowadays) I went back to Judo for about a year, then tried Capoeira and Wing Chun and even Seven Stars Praying Mantis.

Judo and Capoiera were far too tough on my old knees and the Wing Chun / Mantis (with the greatest respect to practitioners) were just more 'systems' without any real 'martial' content.

I have a very good boxing club very close to me and I've been down for a 'look see' and my youngest even gave it a go for a month or two.

I am very tempted to take it up (like you) just for fitness with the very real advantage of practicing a proven martial art. I haven't taken the next step of actually doing a bit but I reckon I will - soon.
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

You should definitely take it up, the fitness and conditioning you get out of it is great. Like you I have done a few martial arts, also did wing chun, very strange art, judo and brazillian jiu jitsu too hard on my knees.

Did taekwondo for 5 years, but thats more kicking and more focus on patterns and kata, not a real world style that you could use to defend yourself.

Boxing is the best by far, already learned so much, its weird to realise that you never really did punch properly, so I am learning alot for my money its the best martial art there is.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My philosophy is to stay out of reach of anyone who might want to hit me.
Regards,
Squire
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Getting hit is not nice, so yeah for me at the moment its just hitting the focus pads and bags learning technique etc, have no plans to get my head knocked off :)
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Smith and Wesson 3-5-7... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oscar I knew you were going to say that.
Regards,
Squire
Gene

Post by Gene »

Squire wrote:My philosophy is to stay out of reach of anyone who might want to hit me.
My philosophy, too. That's why I studied Kendo for a few years. Kendo is the martial art of Japanese sword fighting. Not as aerobic as boxing, to be sure, but I always liked the idea of using a 4 foot stick on somebody coming at me!

Thinking of getting back into it.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

mustang66 wrote:You should definitely take it up, the fitness and conditioning you get out of it is great.
Taken another step.

Emailed head coach to see if they'll accept me training without the 'competition' aspect.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Racso_MS wrote:Smith and Wesson 3-5-7... :D
Naw, a Colt 1911 or a Glock chambered for a .45 ACP.... 8)

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

desertbadger wrote:

Regards,
David
If I'm going to shoot a .45, I'll use the 1911. If I'm going to use a 4 foot stick, I'll use a baseball bat. Love the sound it makes when it strikes bone. If I'm going to use a rifle, I'll use the M14, although I've acquired a liking of the M1 Garand and the 1903 Springfield. Oh what a world.

I realize none of the above will get you in any sort of physical condition, but if utilized correctly, you won't have to run or break a knuckle on someones head. I've broken three knuckles in fights and it is a very painfull experience. Ergo the pistols, rifles, and I forgot my Winchester 1200 Shotgun. :D
(Racso) Oscar...
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Would getting hit in the face not make enjoying shaving more difficult? Just saying...
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Black Belt wrote:Would getting hit in the face not make enjoying shaving more difficult? Just saying...
ABSOLUTELY
(Racso) Oscar...
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Joe, definitely take up the boxing, I had my workout today with my trainer, worked hard but was great learning alot.

Yes getting hit in the face is not good for shaving :)
function

Post by function »

Racso_MS wrote:
desertbadger wrote:

Regards,
David
If I'm going to shoot a .45, I'll use the 1911.
My cousin is currently in training to be a PA state trooper and used the Glock chambered in .45 and is very happy with it. Personally I love the feel of a 1911 despite being younger than many here and having no military service. Something about picking up a 1911 for the first time, when it was brand new and right out of the box, putting 6 rounds in 2 holes at 20ft just made me fall in love. I love the S&W 357 we keep around the house as well, something about the 6" barrel and no recoil makes it loads of fun, and comforting to know I have something adequate around if I ever want to hunt small cars.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

You guys in the USA are lucky, our gun laws here are way too strict, but if I could Id love to have a glock 9mm :)
function

Post by function »

mustang66 wrote:You guys in the USA are lucky, our gun laws here are way too strict, but if I could Id love to have a glock 9mm :)
If you pop by, I'm sure there are lots of gents who would be happy to let you try 5 or 6 handguns you'd like even more, myself included.
Nick

Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

function wrote:
mustang66 wrote:You guys in the USA are lucky, our gun laws here are way too strict, but if I could Id love to have a glock 9mm :)
If you pop by, I'm sure there are lots of gents who would be happy to let you try 5 or 6 handguns you'd like even more, myself included.
I keep revolvers around for the wife, just in case. The S&W .38 and S&W .357 have never gone snap or click unlike some semi-automatic weapons I've used. And the .357 gets everyones attention with the big frame and grips I have on it. I personnally like the Ruger 41 and 44. Kicks like a Kentucky mule but what a blast.

A 12 gauge shotgun also garners a lot or respect. Never found anyone that didn't know what the sound of a 12 gauge makes when you rack in a round. Everyone gets on the ground.
(Racso) Oscar...
function

Post by function »

Racso_MS wrote:
A 12 gauge shotgun also garners a lot or respect. Never found anyone that didn't know what the sound of a 12 gauge makes when you rack in a round. Everyone gets on the ground.
Exactly, and loaded with bird shot it is relatively safe as an in-home weapon, not enough velocity in the shot to pass through walls and do collateral damage, but enough power and spray to dispatch an unwelcome guest without aiming too much.
Nick

mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Function,

Next time in the USA, I may have to meet up with a few of you guys then :)