How many shaves do you get out of a feather blade

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
mustang66

How many shaves do you get out of a feather blade

Post by mustang66 »

Hi All,

How many shaves do you get out of a feather blade?
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Mustang,

This is a Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) issue for just about anyone on this forum. Now for me, if I keep the razor about 1/4 inch off my face while shaving with a Feather, I can go maybe a week. If I'm daring and go about 1/8 inch off my face, I can only go 4 or 5 days tops (you know how whiskers dull the blade). Now if the blade actually touches my skin, I just go to the emergency room for a blood transplant.

Actually I rarely use a Feather, but when I do, I normally get 3 or 4 shaves with it. Again, YMMV. Sharpness does not always equate to a good shave.

Have a good one mate.

v/r
Oscar
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
druphus

Post by druphus »

Sometimes only 3. When they go bad it happens quick, and just change the blade immediately or its weeper-city.
Regards,
Andy
Gene

Post by Gene »

Pretty much the same for me. I can get 3 decent shaves. The fourth is fair, and I once got 5 out of one blade, but I could just feel it wanting to hurt me.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Ken

Post by Ken »

Racso_MS wrote:Mustang,

This is a Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) issue for just about anyone on this forum. Now for me, if I keep the razor about 1/4 inch off my face while shaving with a Feather, I can go maybe a week.
I'm having difficulty visualizing this. If the blade is 1/4 inch away from your face, what are you cutting besides air? Can you explain?

Ken
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

What Andy said, or even only two.....when I experimented with them. But I don't use them as they invariably irritate my skin.
Regards.
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

2 shaves. i can feel them go bad during a stroke of the blade
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

same here,, feathers give me only 2 good shavss,, if i try for three it is
risky,

they are just not worth the money.. for what you get from them..
not to mention what happens with long term use

merkurs for me
marc
paddy

Post by paddy »

around 4 or so.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Around four for me too. When they go bad, it becomes real obvious real quick.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Ken wrote:
Racso_MS wrote:Mustang,

This is a Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) issue for just about anyone on this forum. Now for me, if I keep the razor about 1/4 inch off my face while shaving with a Feather, I can go maybe a week.
I'm having difficulty visualizing this. If the blade is 1/4 inch away from your face, what are you cutting besides air? Can you explain?

Ken
Ken,

Just playing around. Some say the Feathers are so sharp you don't have to actually touch your face with the blade to shave. My 3 to 4 shaves with the blade is more accurate.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
SRD

Post by SRD »

I would say 3 on the average though when they go THEY GO. I have changed in the middle of a shave.
Dave
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Generally 3 - they go south pretty quickly thereafter....
Last edited by Blue As A Jewel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Usually 3 max 4 --- but have been lucky the odd time and squeezed a 5th shave out of one or two.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bordeaaj

Post by bordeaaj »

I've primarily used Feathers for about 5 years or so and I change them out about once a week, no problem. My beard is only of average density, however...I'm no "grizzly" by any means. Like any blade from any of my sampler packs, Feathers lose their edge quickly, but to me a brand new Merkur feels and shaves like a week old Feather...and a Merkur with 3 shaves on it feels even worse. But, I can still get a smooth shave using any of them (and have many times)... :D
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I think the most shaves I've had from a Feather blade would be about 3. They get really rough after that and sometimes are rough right from the start. I do get a good blade from a pack once in a while and it gives great shaves.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Since I have grown a beard and mousache I now get about a week from a Feather, or any blade useing grease instead of soap. I can set my Fatboy to 5 for pass 2 and 7 for polishing with a Feather without irritation (I have used 9 for an Irridium Super).
Ouchmychin (Pete)
CJS

Post by CJS »

If I hand-strop it before every shave, I can stretch a Feather to 5 shaves
-Chris

"I'm sorry, I thought this was America!"
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

My small amount of experience with it says that you'll get more shaves from a slant bar than with standard razors.
John N.

Post by John N. »

Pauldog wrote:My small amount of experience with it says that you'll get more shaves from a slant bar than with standard razors.
Interesting. Perhaps because it is easier on the edge to slice through a whisker than to "push" through it.
J.
John N.