Rooney Travel Brush Aquisition

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
ZethLent

Rooney Travel Brush Aquisition

Post by ZethLent »

I have had quite a nice time with fidelity in my shaving routine for the last several months or so. I started and finished an entire tablet of Institute Karite shave soap with out any intrusions of other products (I did mix it a few times with some QED Bay Rum soap). I have only used my Semogue 2000 and the Omega Boar (the same style that Gil always raves about), and some Sundays I use my CH3. FYI I just started a new tablet of Tabac and am two weeks in it without any indiscretions.

BUT, my duties at work have predicted that I will be travelling quite a bit over the next few months and that was all the push I needed to go out and buy a travel brush. I didn't have a small brush that would dry fast(er?). I would be able to have ready for any other travel needs in the future. You see, it is unquestionably a 'needed' addition to my dopp kit.

I just ordered it so I can't comment more than it is on the way but, I got the Rooney Travel Brush with the faux tortoise accents. It is my first Rooney and I have long awaited the 'need' / 'urge' to buy one.

In reading his thread, I commend Mr. Snodgrass and his commitment in 2011 to narrow down his routine, but as many have cautioned him, and I add my voice to that group, the acquisition disorders we all seem to suffer from are indeed cyclical, and I hope I haven't just jumped back out there.

Nevertheless, I hope it is a winner and will report when I know more.

Last edited by ZethLent on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
笑う門に福来る。
Dale

Post by Dale »

What a cool brush!
Regards,
Dale
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Dale wrote:What a cool brush!
I second that, very clever.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

While I agree it is slick, I discovered, that for me, the best travel solution is to acquire a large empty pill bottle from a pharmacy (I have never paid for one of these yet, btw) and drill some holes in the top. Then I take whatever brush I fancy along on my journeys. ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
paddy

Post by paddy »

very nice. please let us know how it performs.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
function

Post by function »

jww wrote:While I agree it is slick, I discovered, that for me, the best travel solution is to acquire a large empty pill bottle from a pharmacy (I have never paid for one of these yet, btw) and drill some holes in the top.
My wife worked at the student pharmacy where we went to college for almost four years, and I never found out until after we graduated that she had access to pill bottles with our university logo on them. C'est la vie.

That Rooney is a nice looking brush though, I am very happy with the Rooney I picked up on the S/T board. Enjoy it.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
changabang

Post by changabang »

Nice brush, Zeth Lent.

AD's may indeed be cyclical, but so far this calendar year, I haven't ordered anything shaving related, well, maybe that Rooney 1-1, which is why I know your brush is a good one.

My AD so far this year, thanks to Doc Moss and others, has centered around bath soaps, of all things. I'll settle for that, as they are much cheaper than razor-related paraphernalia. :lol:

And they lift my spirit, in this otherwise winter of our discontent.
James Nicks
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Come, come, Wendell. You know very well that this isn't a rational move on his part. Why he as much as admitted that it was just a convenient and 'rational' sounding excuse to indulge his SBAD. Pill bottles indeed...pshaw! I use zip lock baggies but he clearly had another agenda ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
drumana

Post by drumana »

Very cool brush. Rooney puts out a good product. Nice purchase!
-Andrew-
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

The brush has arrived!!

I did a cleaning tonight and will let it dry and I will use it tomorrow. Boy is it a tiny brush!
I am used to face lathering with the two boar and the CH3. I haven't touched the Kimson in close to six months.
This is the smallest brush I have ever owned. It should be an interesting shave.

And here is a new shot of my five brushes.

笑う門に福来る。
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Very nice looking brush... I'm curious, how heavy it is? The Simpsons Major while a cool brush, is heavy - I'm wondering if this has a similar heft?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

That Semogue 2000 looks mighty nice --- forget about the Rooney travel! 8)
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

thay big omega is the class act but the rooney is very pretty
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:Very nice looking brush... I'm curious, how heavy it is? The Simpsons Major while a cool brush, is heavy - I'm wondering if this has a similar heft?

I thought it was very light. Lighter than I was expecting. And although I had done a rough sketch of the brush to see the actual size, it was still smaller than what I thought it would be. The knot is said to be 22mm. This is actually the same size as the kimson and TGN on the far right. But in use the Kimson feels double in size.

I tried using it without the bottom section screwed on and it was just too small. The bottom screwed on makes its reach much more comfortable.

I did use it this morning with some QED Bay Rum shave soap and the shave was stellar. A real fine little brush. I will be very happy to have this in my travel dopp kit for many years to come.

I would like to comment on the feel of the badger hair but I am at a bit of a loss for words. There just wasn't enough hair there for me to be either astounded or turned off. And comparing it to some of my other brushes and former brushes, the ratio of hair in this one is very small. Nonetheless I was pleased with the latherability and lather produced and I think that is all that will matter when I use this brush.
笑う門に福来る。