How many shaves do you get out of a feather blade

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I have always been thinking instead of how many shaves my face can take.

First day is good except overly sharp stubble when it grows back. Second day is so and so but still quite allright, and the third day in a row is like what are these reddish bumbleses I find under my chin? What is this itch and irritation?

Anyways it is nice to hear from your others experience that Feather blades are not quality long lasting blades like my Iridiums or the Swedes that I have still a few too. Them just sharp and overly so and I feel free to keep my opinion like this.
Jarmo
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

CJS wrote:If I hand-strop it before every shave, I can stretch a Feather to 5 shaves
Chris.....

What is hand stropping? Sounds dangerous. :roll: :roll:

Concerning the shaves, 4 to 5.

Thanks,

Ed
Silky Glide

Post by Silky Glide »

I usually toss any blade after three shaves except for Iridiums - I get four shaves out of them.
Dale

Post by Dale »

The last time I used a Feather blade was in the Feather SS DE and the blade went 50 shaves. Obviously, I do not have a blade destroying beard. :) When I finally tossed the blade, it still did not feel totally used up.
Regards,
Dale
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

Not sure what the deal is here, I have rough scruff and can get a dozen smooth shaves out of a Feather on my old Tech. Maybe its because Ive gotten used to a str8 and the DEs seem ultra sharp by comparison.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

LookingGlass wrote:
CJS wrote:If I hand-strop it before every shave, I can stretch a Feather to 5 shaves
Chris.....

What is hand stropping? Sounds dangerous. :roll: :roll:

Concerning the shaves, 4 to 5.

Thanks,

Ed
Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT ... annel_page

Some do it. Some don't. Some say it helps extend the life of the razor blade, some say it helps dull a razor blade like the Feather. Some even use cork for this process. I'm not sure if it works as I've never tried it. But you asked, and this is what I found. Didn't want to search all the threads since i know this has been discussed "SEVERAL" times on this forum.

v/r
Oscar
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
brothers

Post by brothers »

Dave Irving! Good material.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

It can range anywhere from 2-6 shaves for me, it all depends on the blade, when those feathers go south they go south in a hurry and they will knick you bad... Other blades like us personna, trigs, I can keep on shaving even when they are dull and wont knick me.

Ive had good luck at extending blade life by flipping it when dull, but with the feather ive learned its not worth pushing it!!

I just watched that video, i might have to try that, I have rough hands so should work pretty good.
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I have also exclusively used Feathers for some time now. I normally get 4 shaves from one blade.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
numcks

Post by numcks »

Usually 5.
Cheers,
Mike
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I began using Feathers over a year ago in response to the ever shifting availability of just about all other blades on the planet. I’d find one I liked – and voila! - it was no longer available.

I get exactly 7 shaves from one. Five or six is probably optimal, but 7 are necessary for my OCD, so I can change the blade on the same day weekly. I find that a Feather on Day 7 is not as smooth as Day 1 or 2, but is smoother than any blade on Day 1 that I occasionally load to remind myself why I continue to use the Feathers exclusively. I will admit that I dial back a tad when using them, but have never experienced the irritation over time that some have experienced.

Steve
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

OK...speaking of dialing down...I typically shave with my Feather blades in a Merkur Futur set on 4 with good results.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
melyus
Vendor

Post by melyus »

5 is really good number to change the feather for me.
infotech

Post by infotech »

Two.
James
bordeaaj

Post by bordeaaj »

SteveK wrote:I get exactly 7 shaves from one. Five or six is probably optimal, but 7 are necessary for my OCD, so I can change the blade on the same day weekly. I find that a Feather on Day 7 is not as smooth as Day 1 or 2, but is smoother than any blade on Day 1 that I occasionally load to remind myself why I continue to use the Feathers exclusively.
+1...no OCD here but I've used used Feathers daily for the last 5 or 6 years and change blades every weekend regardless of razor, be it modern Merkur or vintage Gillette. Over the years I've worked my way through several blade samplers and, like SteveK, have also found a week old Feather is usually smoother than a new, unused blade from many (if not most) other brands. I've never had trouble with Feathers starting out rough or going south in any more of a hurry than any other blade. In fact, my experience suggests the opposite...most other brands start out substantially south to begin with and the Feathers never reach the level of degradation other blades get to in a real hurry. And I can't remember the last time I was nicked with a Feather at any time during it's life span. (knock on wood)
Last edited by bordeaaj on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 12 times in total.
lradke

Post by lradke »

I can get 3 shaves...then it is way too dull. I only use them rarely...usually for special occasions where I want a really smooth shave.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Dale wrote:The last time I used a Feather blade was in the Feather SS DE and the blade went 50 shaves. Obviously, I do not have a blade destroying beard. :) When I finally tossed the blade, it still did not feel totally used up.
Wow- and I thought I could streatch a blade untill it screamed...or at least until I did. I manage 14 or so with feathers I am sure due to the enhanced hydration of shower shaving.

Alan
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

I'm glad I read this thread.

I've seen a lot of threads lately on SMF University, and the General boards about how certain oils and soaps are giving really rough shaves on the first try. I find the same happens to me, but I usually change my blade when I get new stuff (and new blades). I've been stretching blades to 9 or 10 shaves with no real problems until I switch out.

Then I bleed like a stuck hog.

Seems I push down harder and harder as the blade gets duller and duller, by the time I roll around to a new blade I take off everything down to the bone.

I've adjusted my shave technique based on this thread alone and I haven't bled out in 2 weeks. AND I'm still getting just as close a shave.

So, anyway, just my two cents, thanks for another great rule of thumb for great shaves! (And make damn sure to revisit your shave technique before you try any new products!)
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

3 good shaves from a Feather blade for me. The 4th and 5th are tolerable. Shave number 6 and I feel some serious pulling.
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

I just tried the hand stropping, I immediately noticed a smoother shave! Im going to have to play around with this definitely..
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"