a great shave with trac II

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
JRTASTER

a great shave with trac II

Post by JRTASTER »

well, since i started shaving in 1955-56, there weren't many razors/blades/accesories that escaped my attention.
dad taught me with a gillette de and noxema foam. later i flirted with soap and brush and whatever gillette innovation was in vogue at the time.
i remember polishing my gilette de razor for footlocker inspections during basic training in the vietnam era.
it wasn't til about five years ago, however, that i returned seriously to 'wet shaving,' as it's now called, encouraged by a supervisor at my job after i complained loudly about lousy results from whatever i was using at the time.
i duly invested in a mercur hd and various and sundry soaps and creams(encouraged by posts on this venerable board) and guided by the really generous advice of the posters here.
semi-retirement found me wallowing on the dark side,however, having invested in a norelco electric razor which gave me quick but really crummy shaves. (my part-time job no longer requires that semi-military grooming standard of yore).
my recent return once again to wet shaving was joyous, tho earler on i suffered from some razor rash in the neck area using the merku hd. i decided to experiment. reading here led me to try a bump-fighter handle with a merkur trac II-type cartridge. today's shave was with t&h lavender cream and a saville row brush and the result was truly great. i finished off with moore's bump-fighter and razor rash cream (jury still out on this item).
but it was the trac II experience, i think, that made the difference,with only one tiny weeper. for those who find the d/e blade a tad aggresive, you might want to give it a try. i sure was pleased.
thanks for bearing with me on this rambling and arduous novelette.
jr/john
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

I think i would start off with the trac II or I would really try the bic metals. I started shaving on a trac II when i was 13 until I was 18 with noxzema foam (good stuff actually for a can), then I made the switch to DE trying out the bic metals first, and never looked back. Id find an old gillette superspeed and give it another shot it really takes at least a month to get the technique down.
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

I like the results I get from the Trac II. I like the the feel of a fixed head razor and I use the NOS cartridges that do not have that annoying lube strip. While DEs are my preferred razor I find time for the Trac II now and then, especially when I want a quick and good shave.
Rich
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I like the Trac for its low irritibility, but have found the Sensor to be the better all-around shaver, for me. I've adjusted my technique to where the latter is nearly as benign. Unfortunately, I prefer the Gillette cartridges to the generics. Their ridiculously high cost puts me between another rock and hard place (as with injectors and NOS blades), so switching to a DE becomes almost a necessity. I suppose that three-blade Schick goomeister might be another option, but shudder at the thought.
Ron
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

sorry, guys: NOS = ????
brothers

Post by brothers »

New Old Stock.

In my case, I've got my original Trac II from when it was new. I recently dug it out and shaved several days with it. The shaves are dependably good. My only problem is that after using it for about 3 days I invariably develop at least one bump, which only happens with the T II and never with a DE or SR. It has something to do with the closeness of the shave being cut so close to or below the level of the skin.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

gary, thanks for the definition info
actually i had read your posts re: bumps/ingrowns with the trac II and it caused me pause. i reserve the right to modify my glowing trac II comments should problems arise. after a week or so, however, shaving with tobs jermyn st., t&h lavender and trumpers coconut, no problems to report.
am looking for trac II's without the lube strip, as i seem to remember back when trac II was new, those are the ones i preferred!! jr/john
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Here are Personnas without the lubrastrip:
http://www.razorsdirect.com/catalog/ite ... 881223.htm
You can find the Gillettes without strip on eBay.
Ron
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

excellent, ron...many thanks!!! john
Gene

Post by Gene »

John, you have a private message
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

brothers wrote:. . . In my case, I've got my original Trac II from when it was new. I recently dug it out and shaved several days with it. The shaves are dependably good. . .
That brings up a good point: My Trac, which is also original, is so close in size and weight to my favorite injector that I've had no trouble switching back and forth between the two. Those handles are an excellent fit and never slip, so I don't necessarily miss a heavier weight, fancy metals and knurlings.
Ron
harper

Post by harper »

I am happy to see that so many people here have good things to say about the TRAC11 because there has been a lot of abuse heaped on this razor in this forum. As a consultant and not with Gillette I helped introduce TRAC11 in Canada and it was a huge success, a lot of that success coming as a result of spill over comment and advertising in the US. In fact, Canadians who travelled to the US bought these razors, brought them back and gave extra ones to their friends. By the time --about a year later -- TRAC11 came to Canada it was already partially accepted by a good many shavers. It was a huge success in Canada and elsewhere and spawned many other cartridge razors by Gillette and others.

In looking back on razors and blades a lot of people (I am one) look at TRAC11 as being nearly as important in making shaving easier and better for most men as the original Gillette razor and blade. Personally I thought the TRAC11 was a remarkable razor and I used one for years. Over time I bought and used other Gillette products which were not really better I thought than the original TRAC11 although the Sensor was a very good razor and is still used by many men. I think that was true until the development of the recent Power Fusion razor and blades which give me the best shaves I have ever had.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

harper,
thanks for that insight. i used the trac II when it was first introduced but like others moved along as gillette introduced "improvements."
i jumped off that treadmill years ago and am enjoying re-visiting the true classics.
now my problem is finding a continuing supply of reasonably-priced trac II cartridges. a couple of members here have offered some helpful suggestions to that end!
jr/john
harper

Post by harper »

JRTASTE: I wish I could help but I have no idea other than to suggest E-Bay for more TRAC11 blades. I notice some people seem to get skin irritation with TRAC 11 and other multi-blade razors but I used one for years and use mult-blade razors 95% of the time now and have never had that problem. When I first heard of it I thought the people who said it developed were people who had skin problems to begin with but since so many complain there clearly is some reason for it. Perhaps, as has been suggested, it is the fact that two or more blades ... not to mention five ... put more metal to the skin that tradition DE blades. On the other hand, I use far more strokes with a DE blade than with a cartridge so about as much or more blade is crossing my skin so ...

Fortunately, I don't easily get skin irritation and I am grateful for that.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

American Safety Razor (Personna), Merkur, and (I think) Dorco all make Trac II cartridges. Long before they were both bought by Energizer, Schick and Wilkinson also made them.

The Personnas are probably the most cost effective for new stock.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have two suggestions. For fresh new ones, go to WalMart. Otherwise, you will find them all over ebay, as many as you want. As far as I know, that's about it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

After buying a NOS Trac II handle a couple of weeks back, I was pleased to see my local Morrisons stocking what I suspect are Personna Trac II cartridges. 10 for £2.04. These also fit the Atra.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

am bidding on some non-lube nos trac II blades on ebay. and several of you have turned me on to other sites where gillettes and amer safety razor versions are available. being a half-empty kind of guy i am pessimistic that these blades will be available forever, so forgive me while i hoard them! jr/john
Tucker

made in Poland

Post by Tucker »

I noticed at Wal-Mart today that the Gillette brand Trac II blades are now made in Poland. Previously they were made in Mexico, and I was not a big fan. Has anyone tried the Polish ones yet?
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The Seeker wrote:After buying a NOS Trac II handle a couple of weeks back, I was pleased to see my local Morrisons stocking what I suspect are Personna Trac II cartridges. 10 for £2.04. These also fit the Atra.
If you use that kind in the Atra, the pivoting may be somewhat restricted, because of the protruding "rails" that fit the Trac II.