Stainless steel versus chrome plated razor?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
dmsmf

Stainless steel versus chrome plated razor?

Post by dmsmf »

A razor that will last a long time appeals to me. My chrome plated razor is already starting to show the negative effects of time and use. Can anyone recommend an affordable stainless steel razor that will last a long time?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi dmsmf -

The only stainless steel razors that I know of are expensive: The iKon for approx US $80.00 and the Feather All Stainless for approx US $160.00.

I have old nickel-plated Gillettes with their plating still intact, though some old nickel-plated razors that have seen a lot of use (over many years) or abuse eventually lose some plating.

Chrome plating should be even more durable. I would expect my Edwin Jagger razor, which has a very good chrome finish, to last indefinitely. I believe Merkur razors are also chrome-plated, albeit not with the same quality as the Edwin Jagger, but I haven't read reports of the plating failing on them either.

What kind of razor do you have?

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I'd go with nickel plating, unless you want to spend a lot on a stainless. Or maybe you can find a Lux razor. It's stainless, but relatively inexpensive.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gold plating, cheaper than alimony and will last a lifetime, well, mine anyway.
Regards,
Squire
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

While I have been enjoying my recently purchased iKon razor, I own many others including several Merkur chrome plated razors that I have for over ten years and have used them frequently. They appear the same today as they did when I first received them and show no signs of age or use.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

harper

Post by harper »

Good question but irrelevant to me: I am 80 years old; what the hell do I care how long a new razor is going to last. I don't even buy green bananas or soft ice cream anymore. But, if I did care, I would go with the stainless which should last indefinitely if properly taken care of ... i.e, kept clean. Sometimes life decisions do get easier.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

harper wrote:Good question but irrelevant to me: I am 80 years old; what the hell do I care how long a new razor is going to last. I don't even buy green bananas or soft ice cream anymore. But, if I did care, I would go with the stainless which should last indefinitely if properly taken care of ... i.e, kept clean. Sometimes life decisions do get easier.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - I'm crying!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
harper

Post by harper »

I hope with laughter.

cheers
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

You made me laugh too Harper!
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.