What kind of Dopp/Ditty/Toiletry Bag do you use/like?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

What kind of Dopp/Ditty/Toiletry Bag do you use/like?

Post by texasPI »

I am looking to update my Dopp kit which I've had since highschool which is made of nylon and is quite beat up! I would like to go with a leather replacement. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks,

Erik
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

erik, i went to the shoebox.com and got an eagle brand hanging toiletry bag. has separate compartments to hold things dry, such as cotton pads, and had a lot of room and zippered compartments and can hang from a shower or clothes rod.

id also recommend the llbean one. sometimes free shipping or they have sales. i would have gotten llbean but shoebox gave me a really low price at the time.

that said, there are some nice ones at qedusa.com and at the gentlemens shop (they may still have a 50% off sale)

sam
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Thanks Sam. I've seen the llbean one but not the Eagle one. WIll look into it.

Erik
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Erik, ebags have an assortment of dopp kits including the original Dopp brand. Look here http://www.ebags.com/travel_accessories ... 01+2006731 .
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Hi;

Well, during the holidays, I found what seems to be my best shave kit. While in Sears, I found a small Craftsman tool bag. It's black, zip top with carry handles, and made of a heavy canvas-looking polyester. It has a red stripe and the name "Craftsman" stitched on the side. Size is about 12" long, 8" wide, and about 10" tall, but the top kind of folds over if its not packed full. This is big enough for me to carry all my "tools", but not so big to be cumbersome. If I were really concerned about space, it might not work, but so far it works great. It is not as up-town as some other kits, but is eminently functional. Cost $9.00 and my kids think its funny to carry my shaving stuff in a tool bag.

BobS
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

BobS I have severla Craftsman bags sitting in my garage which I'm not using that might fit the bill. Thanks for the idea.

Chris: I have seen one very similar to the one you pictured on the gentleman's webiste. I think I came across a Bosca one while trolling the web but now can't remeber where. Thought I had bookmarked it but apparently not. That one is surely beautiful and it's what I'm looking for. I think I've seen people refer to these as Dr's bags.

Thanks Again,

Erik
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Forgot to mention that I've also seen a Coach one that I like alot.

Erik
PaulSiegel

Post by PaulSiegel »

i just won a traditonal Dopp kit in black leather on ebay. when it gets here ill write it up.

Paul
"There is more refreshment and stimulation in a nap, even of the briefest, than in all the alcohol ever distilled."

-Ovid
Maynard

Post by Maynard »

I bought this Dopp kit from ebags. I like it b/c it's small (it's the "junior" one). I only put my shaving stuff in it (I have another bag for all the other stuff).

Maynard
StereoStapp

Post by StereoStapp »

I am using a Trumpers rollup in an almost orange pigskin with hunter green lining which I like. The color is very strong but still tasteful.

I also have the Dovo set with a pair of Micarta razors which is extremely nice. The rollup is great for a Feather razor for travel and the Dovo is well, just beautiful.
The day should begin with a shave and a doppio espresso
threeputt

Post by threeputt »

I too have the Trumper rollup wetpack, but in chestnut leather. It is very nice, but not as roomy as a dopp kit such as Chris' Bosca. I usually end up carrying the rollup along with an older leather dopp that my Dad got for me years ago with Marlboro miles or something like that.

Jeff
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Got a few dopp-kits; besides Trumpers roll-up wet pack, i use this one most of the time:

It's from an Italian leather brand of Florence; besides collecting shaving brushes and cigar paraphernalia this is my third collecting habit: leathergoods of the finest quality, in this case from Italian origin; however, the most beautiful imo are leather goods from Swaine, Adeney and Brigg in London; heirloom products, but very expensive and a lot more difficult to obtain then my current articles from "Il Ponte "
("The Bridge"), Florence, Italy. (BTW, this one currently sells for about $215,-)

Peter
RVL Saratoga

Post by RVL Saratoga »

Peter,

No gentleman's kit is complete without a Brigg brolly (I have one in whangee crook.) Never got into their leather goods, however.

I used to love Coach goods. My Coach jacket wallet is over ten years old, and still in beautiful condition. I also have two Coach briefcases that have developed a nice aged patina. However, their newer offerings tend towards the flimsy and trendy, IMHO.

Regards,
Robert