Thumbs up for Witch Hazel!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Sensitive_Skin

Thumbs up for Witch Hazel!

Post by Sensitive_Skin »

Just had my wife shave the back of my neck with a straight then applied the Witch Hazel. No irritation! I'm pretty pleased with this product, if only it didn't smell so industrial. Funny because it's supposed to be made of largely natural products...Must be all the alcohol!
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Try Thayers in rose or lavender. Many health / natural food stores carry the line. They smell fantastic with all the soothing properties.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Esoteric83 wrote:Try Thayers in rose or lavender. Many health / natural food stores carry the line. They smell fantastic with all the soothing properties.
+1 -- just about any Thayers scent works well. I have lemon/aloe and it's wonderful.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Good stuff!
Good shaving,

Gary
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

The Thayer's rose is very nice.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Sensitive_Skin

Post by Sensitive_Skin »

Yup, the one I got was "Original" which has alcohol in it. I think for a post-shave alcohol is good since it staves off any open cuts. It felt pretty mild to the skin. I wouldn't use a pre-shave or shaving soap/cream with any alcohol in it though.
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

The Thayer's Original is one of my favorites....mild and pleasant fragrance; 10% alcohol content.
Lynn
Blue As A Jewel

Re: Thumbs up for Witch Hazel!

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Sensitive_Skin wrote:Just had my wife shave the back of my neck with a straight then applied the Witch Hazel. No irritation! I'm pretty pleased with this product, if only it didn't smell so industrial. Funny because it's supposed to be made of largely natural products...Must be all the alcohol!
I'd be pretty pleased with the wife as well!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I prefer Humphreys regular WH to any other. Inexpensive, unstinky, and effective as an aftershave and before-bed cleanser. Doesn't leave my face feeling tacky, either. Their Citrus facial toner has now caught my eye.
Ron
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I really like the Thayer's Astringents (Original, Peach, and Lemon), which use 10% alcohol. This isn't enough alcohol to burn, however, and it feels very soothing to the skin. The Thayer's Toners have no alcohol, but they have propylene glycol (not all that bad) and methylparaben (under suspicion).

After my shaves, I leave a tiny, almost invisible residue of lather on my skin. Then I apply one of the Thayer's Astringents and rub it into the skin. It combines with the lather residue to form a cream whose effect is very soothing.

- Murray
ateace

Post by ateace »

Thayers Lemon with Aloe Vera.
Great stuff.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Thayer's Lavender with aloe, twice a day.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
hoffo

Post by hoffo »

I use the Thayers alcohol-free toners and can't recommend it enough!

Even the generic CVS-brand stuff works for me - I don't see it as an industrial scent, more of a "burned wood" or "smoky" scent.
Made with Macintosh!
Sensitive_Skin

Post by Sensitive_Skin »

The only thing I don't like about Thayers is:

1) The bottle's opening is too wide...You can't pore any onto the palm of your hand. You could use a cotton ball but that's kind of annoying.

2) The bottle is too small. I want a bigger one.

:)

"Tried" to douse some onto my palm this morning, instead I made a huge mess and put like 1/8th of the bottle onto my face. Wow did that sting! Sealed off the minor cut very nicely! Love this product but poor packaging.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Funny -- my Thayers bottle has a flip-top -- I always am able to get just the right amount for my ritual.
Wendell

gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

jww wrote:Funny -- my Thayers bottle has a flip-top -- I always am able to get just the right amount for my ritual.
so does mine but i got some small squirt bottles from sally beauty supply. works great
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I was just thinking -- with all the variations of witch hazel, it begs the question -- which hazel??? :wink:

BTW - great idea Gil - I do need to get something small to fit into my kit bag, and I can't believe that I have never thought about your idea. Thanks. :D
Wendell

gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

jww wrote:I was just thinking -- with all the variations of witch hazel, it begs the question -- which hazel??? :wink:

BTW - great idea Gil - I do need to get something small to fit into my kit bag, and I can't believe that I have never thought about your idea. Thanks. :D
yes,, i'm talking about the ones with a spritz (atomizer) top. i was thinking of using them on my expensive aftershave too. great way to not waste any.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Greenhouse

Post by Greenhouse »

Yes, there are a number of good scents. I agree that the original version has a bit of an industrial/chemical smell. I have several fragrances and try to match the witch hazel to the cream or soap I used (rose, lavender, etc.). However, even the original does a great job -- the smell fades quickly and is soon covered up by whatever after shave I apply.

- Greenhouse.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

jww wrote:
Esoteric83 wrote:Try Thayers in rose or lavender. Many health / natural food stores carry the line. They smell fantastic with all the soothing properties.
+1 -- just about any Thayers scent works well. I have lemon/aloe and it's wonderful.
Another vote for Thayers Lemon. To me it smells great, not witch hazel-y at all.

Dave