Thumbs up for Witch Hazel!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Sensitive_Skin

Post by Sensitive_Skin »

My understanding is that the fragranced Witch Hazel's don't have alcohol in them, which kind of defeats the purpose of them being an astringent/anti-septic.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

Sensitive_Skin wrote:My understanding is that the fragranced Witch Hazel's don't have alcohol in them, which kind of defeats the purpose of them being an astringent/anti-septic.
i don't think witch hazel is an aniseptic and have not seen the product advertised as such. it is definately an astringent.

ps. i once had a burn from using a lanolin balm. witch hazel was the only thing that eliminated the burn sensation.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
brothers

Post by brothers »

My favorite Thayer's is SuperHazel Medicated. I also have Lavender and Rose, which are really mild, if that's your bag, and they have mild fragrances too.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kirasdad

Post by Kirasdad »

Thalay Sagar wrote:Thayer's Lavender with aloe, twice a day.

+1 I use it in the morning after shaving, and once at night before bed as a light cleanser/toner.
Peace,
Andrew

Those who danced were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
hoffo

Post by hoffo »

CMur12 wrote:The Thayer's Toners have no alcohol, but they have propylene glycol (not all that bad) and methylparaben (under suspicion).
I have the "regular" scent alcohol-free toner and it says that it's paraben-free... ingredient list doesn't mention methylparaben.
Made with Macintosh!
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

rsp1202 wrote:I prefer Humphreys regular WH to any other. Inexpensive, unstinky, and effective as an aftershave and before-bed cleanser. Doesn't leave my face feeling tacky, either. Their Citrus facial toner has now caught my eye.
The citrus Humphrey's has been my post shave ritual for awhile. Especially on my quest to work through the remainder of my "free" Merkur blades. Thankfully they're all gone except the one in the kitchen I only use for slashing my home made bread loaves before going in the oven.

This morning I got back to my 7 o'clock yellows and feel much better.
Tom
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

Sensitive_Skin wrote:My understanding is that the fragranced Witch Hazel's don't have alcohol in them, which kind of defeats the purpose of them being an astringent/anti-septic.
S_S I think I know what your saying but the way you wrote might mean the opposite. If I'm reading you right, the alcohol content in the unscented WH's defeats the purpose of using WH in lieu of alcohol aftershave. That's my understanding and experience with witch hazel, it doesn't dry out your skin or burn the face as much as alcohol.

The way you wrote kind of implies something else.
Tom
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

hoffo wrote:
CMur12 wrote:The Thayer's Toners have no alcohol, but they have propylene glycol (not all that bad) and methylparaben (under suspicion).
I have the "regular" scent alcohol-free toner and it says that it's paraben-free... ingredient list doesn't mention methylparaben.
They may have reformulated it. I bought a Thayer's Rose Toner 3 - 4 years ago and methylparaben figured rather prominently in the ingredients list.

- Murray
Sensitive_Skin

Post by Sensitive_Skin »

Just checked which mine is...It's the "Aftershave" astringent. Definitely has alcohol in it but no paraben's. I'm trying to replace all my Proraso products because they're loaded with Parabens. I know that the research is subjective but I'd rather go with a product that has less chemicals in it.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Love the Thayer's Lavender. I also like the Lemon but for some reason it foams up when I use it. Can't figure that one out.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

CMur12 wrote:
hoffo wrote:
They may have reformulated it. I bought a Thayer's Rose Toner 3 - 4 years ago and methylparaben figured rather prominently in the ingredients list.

- Murray
Stopped by Whole Foods in Omaha today. Looked at the Thayer's Rose and it says no parabens.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

John Parker wrote:
CMur12 wrote:
hoffo wrote: I have the "regular" scent alcohol-free toner and it says that it's paraben-free... ingredient list doesn't mention methylparaben.

- Murray
Stopped by Whole Foods in Omaha today. Looked at the Thayer's Rose and it says no parabens.
I would say that this is good news (though I personally prefer the Astringents).

I still have that original bottle of Rose Toner, and it still says methylparaben. :)

- Murray
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i have a rose scented bottle of thayer's toner, alcohol free and it definately says "no parabens". it's close to 2 years old now.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

While I would prefer to buy locally, I can never find Thayer's in any stores. It is available at Drugstore.com, and is currently on sale. Plus there is a 20% off code on their site.
Tom
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I use Thayer's aftershave almost everyday. It is slightly higher in alcohol than their other witch hazels (around 20%, I believe) and very mild on the skin. Minimal aloe scent which is gone in an instant, clearing the way for EDT.
I use the Thayer's original witch hazel every night before bed as a toner, applying with a cotton ball or cotton pad. It is the only facial "cleanser" I use, and my skin looks and feels better than it ever did with anything else.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
glazer1972

Post by glazer1972 »

I use the cheap bottle that I got at Walmart occasionally.
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Yet another vote for Thayer's. For me, a good shave isn't complete without a splash of Thayer's afterwards.
Cheers,

Craig