My EJ89L broke!

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Reverend Jim

My EJ89L broke!

Post by Reverend Jim »

My razor broke and left the threads from the head in the handle. I've had it for 13 months. Does any one know the length of the warranty? I'm bummed but I did get a good shave from an old Krona that I had.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

did you over tighten it?
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
druphus

Post by druphus »

If you drop these guys they break at the top of threads, unless they have a plastic handle, and then the handle shatters first.

Sort of like fine crystal, so don't drop them on marble, granite, terrazzo, or hard title.

The heads are pretty much plated "pot metal" as it used to be called. Once you figure this out, you understand how fragile they are.

I don't think there is a warranty.

I've heard that muhle will replace the head on their razors; however, I would not have the guts to try.

If you want a tough razor you can drop, look elsewhere.
Last edited by druphus on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Andy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ah!...see! I always recommend vintage Gillettes myself. You would not believe the abuse my original long handled adjustable absorbed and just kept on tickin'. Not trying to be mean, I am sorry about your loss.
Regards,
Gordon
LookingGlass

Re: My EJ89L broke!

Post by LookingGlass »

Reverend Jim wrote:My razor broke and left the threads from the head in the handle. I've had it for 13 months. Does any one know the length of the warranty? I'm bummed but I did get a good shave from an old Krona that I had.
Jim,

How did your razor break? Did you accidently drop the razor? If so, it is your responsibility to replace the razor. However, if you believe it is a product defect then, by all means, contact EJ. Look at where the threaded portion broke, if you see any corrosion, there could have been a small crack or defect during the manufacturing process.

Again, please let us know how the break occurred. Many of us have EJ89s and will be interested if you believe it is a product defect.

Thanks,
Ed
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

I did not drop the razor. I tightened the razor the same amount as I always did only this time it broke. It does look like pot metal in there and I am going to pull out the magnifying glass and check it out as Ed recommended. I did send an email to the vendor asking for warranty information----I'll let you know what I find out.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Reverend Jim wrote:I did not drop the razor. I tightened the razor the same amount as I always did only this time it broke. It does look like pot metal in there and I am going to pull out the magnifying glass and check it out as Ed recommended. I did send an email to the vendor asking for warranty information----I'll let you know what I find out.
Thanks.....

And please let us know the results of your inquiry. Good luck!!

Ed
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

I looked at it under a jewelers loupe and the metal looks very porous. I have a picture here and you can see what I mean.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

yes, it doesn't look good to me. probably all the razors are like this.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

bernards66 wrote:Ah!...see! I always recommend vintage Gillettes myself. You would not believe the abuse my original long handled adjustable absorbed and just kept on tickin'. Not trying to be mean, I am sorry about your loss.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, in all fairness vintage Gillettes have their own vulnerabilities, namely the stamped, none-too-thick bottom plate and associated bent/misaligned safety bars. New purchasers of vintage Gillettes on eBay are always warned to make sure the safety bars are aligned.

I am a happy user of an Edwin Jagger DE87 and this is the first time I have seen reference to the problem presented by the original poster, though another contributor to the thread has heard of it, too. This may be something that EJ and Muhle will need to address.

- Murray
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Murray, Well, any razor can be messed up if treated badly enough, but in general, up until at least the early 1970s, Gillette DEs were very well made and could take some pretty rough useage. I can't tell you how many times I dropped that old adjustable, just tossed it into back packs and what have you. I agree that this is the first time I've heard of any possible QC issues with those E-Js and if there is actually any weakness, or whatever, in their construction, hopefully they will straighten it out because almost everyone seems to agree that they are very good shavers.
Regards,
Gordon
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

Thank you for you comments and observations Gordon. They are helpful and useful as always.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

My guess is that it was a defective sample. The only way to know if the metal wasn't normal is to break open another one or to ask EJ about it.
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

Even though it doesn't say so on their website, I believe E J razors have a lifetime warranty. If I remember correctly, Sam had one replaced no charge about a year ago.

Regards,

Rick
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

The vendor said to contact EJ and I have done that. I'll let you guys know what happens. I included the picture in the email. That should scare 'em! :o
druphus

Post by druphus »

Reverend Jim wrote:The vendor said to contact EJ and I have done that. I'll let you guys know what happens. I included the picture in the email. That should scare 'em! :o
Good luck to you Jim. Could you share the EJ contact information and let us know how it all works out?
Regards,
Andy
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

I'll be happy to Andy! So far it has just been th "Contact Us" on their website.
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

UPDATE:

Suzanne Kilcommons with E.J. contacted me this morning by email. She said that my razor had a lifetime warranty and the head would be replaced. She asked if the little broken piece of thread was in the handle and if so to send that to them so that they could extract it. I told her that it had been easy to remove with a little thumb pressure so now I don't have to send anything in and they are shipping me a new head. How's that for service? :D :D
druphus

Post by druphus »

Wow, great outcome! I've read that muhle does the same with its razors.
Regards,
Andy
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Glad to hear that for you. And good for EJ.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy