Alpa 378 review

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
function

Alpa 378 review

Post by function »

Every so often I have something to add more than questions. This is another step in my exploration of menthol as a battle to the heat and humidity of my new home. My first purchases are those less mentioned here, and the second is Alpa 378.

Naturally I had to google the product because even the retailer did not have too much detail. I found the product to be of Czech origin, just like 20% or so of my wife, and green just like her eyes but I digress . . .
Alpa 378 contains Septonex. WTH is Septonex you ask? Well it is a 100+ year old disinfectant popular in Eastern European countries. At 100 years old I expect any bacteria still around could essentially gargle Septonex, swallow it and evacuate it without a thought. MRSA probably bathes in the stuff daily. However if you want the cuddly blanket of a disinfectant, you got it.

Now onto the performance. Packed in a small bottle with a decently large opening, you can get a good whiff of the stuff without actually dispensing it. My quick impressions are a slight disinfectant smell(not a bad one) followed quickly by a deep mossy and slightly woodsy smell. I did not pick up any citrus here, could be overpowered by the disinfectant smell.

Now the performance. A splash reveals some alcohol pretty quickly, letting you know if(where) you got a little too close, but fades quickly into a light to mild menthol cooling. The scent is just as described above but applied to the face. The disinfectant smell comes and goes quickly while the mossy smell lingers for maybe 10 minutes.

My thoughts in the end:

A pretty decent aftershave, menthol is good but it I would like even more. It is not very expensive, and it looks like it is dirt cheap when ordered in the Czech Republic. I actually don't think I would use it every day because I fall in the group of those who feel too much use of disinfectant/antibacterial product is bad but it is great for the post shower/shave in the late morning or early Saturday afternoon after walking the dog and noting it is already 90 and humid. The only thing that would make it better is more menthol, IMHO.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

I agree with your review. Picked up a few bottles from Bullgoose. Wanted to like to more than I do. But's it's okay. Medicinal, for sure. Not a bad astringent though after a shave. Very clean smelling. Don't think it's all that inexpensive since the bottle is so small. Cool little bottle.
function

Post by function »

billyboy wrote: Don't think it's all that inexpensive since the bottle is so small. Cool little bottle.
I'll agree there. It is not cheap, but at <$20 for 100ml, it is also not very expensive.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
WBK

Post by WBK »

Good stuff, one of my favs and reminds me of Moos. I bought a few bottles over the last couple of years, my only complaint being it pours too quickly. I ended up pouring them into an empty Mandom bottle I had which makes it much easier to dispense.