Talc

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gordon, Same offer applies to you as well. Just let me know if you ever require more Stephans.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Much appreciated. I will probably be knocking on your door with this in the not too distant future.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I have a small talc addiction issue........

I really like the unscented Trumper talc, it goes with every scent. Unfortunately it's too expensive. I use clubman Shave Talc only on my beard after a shave, it's tinted so as not to show. I don't like the scent very much however.[/img]
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, Well done! ( chuckle ). I've used every one that you have pictured plus a whole lot more. I concur, the Trumpers Talc is one of my two favourites also, the other being Penhaligon's English Fern, but both have become too expensive to use as a daily talc, especially when you add in the high shipping costs these days. Depressingly, the old Mennen talc, that was inexpensive and readily available back then, smelled quite a bit like the Trumpers. And the nice, and not overly pricey, Bronnley English Fern Talc has, of course, been discontinued. I dunno. I may have some of the Taylor Sandalwood Talc thrown in when I order some other stuff, or I may just give up and go with the Stephens. In some areas, chasing the remaining 'good stuff' down, and paying the prices that are now being asked is just getting to be more grief and money than it's worth. I hate to say it, but there it is.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Gordon, I wasn't aware that Bronnley had discontinued their English Fern Talc. That's sad news, I had always wanted to try it. The English Fern talc is at the top of my list to aquire. I'm not familiar with the Stephen's, might you be able to tell me about it?
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, Oh, it's an old and inexpensive barbershop brand. It has to be mail ordered usually also but at least it doesn't cost much. Chris ( from Phil. ) was kind enough to send me some as he can buy it in person from his barber. It's marked at $5.50 for a 14oz. container ( like Johnson's Baby Powder comes in ). To me, it's not as 'baby powder-like' as the Borotalco and less expensive. A little more of a 'brisk' scent, although quite mild. For a 'cheap' talc it's pretty good. I used to, at least, be able to buy the C-M talcs locally, which knocked off the shipping costs. But that shop has now closed so I'm out of luck there as well. Another local shop now stocks a few of them, but none of the ones I really like...wouldn't ye know.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I'm unaware of an unscented Trumper's talc; the version I used had a mild floral scent that I actually liked. I've tried several times now to get a hold of some English Fern -- both Pens and Bronnley -- but stocking issues and bad shipping luck has left me fernless. From what I've read here, the Stephans sounds like a good go, and I like the unscented balla powder, but it's almost as pricey as the Trumper.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Trumper only offers one talc ( which is a bit surprising really...although T&H doesn't seem to have any at all ). The Trumpers does have a mild scent, but I think that Craig was just meaning to indicate that it was kind of neutral, not that it was truly without any scent at all. Years ago, before I'd ever tried the Trumper Talc, I remember asking Toby Weller-Poley what it smelled like and he admitted that he couldn't really describe it.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

My bad, I thought that the Trumper Talc said 'unscented' somewhere on the bottle, but it doesn't. It does have the lightest scent of any talc that I've used though. It's scent doesn't compete with my cologne.
Cheers,

Craig
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

The Trumper's scent was very pleasing -- didn't bother me at all, as most scented products ultimately do. Performance-wise, certainly no complaints. It would be one of two or three talcs I'd keep around if I could.
Ron
Jado

Post by Jado »

I like the TOBS talcs, myself. I'm especially fond of the Mr. Taylor's scent - it's a bit strong, though.
-James
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

James, Yeah, the Taylor talcs are also good, although even those have gotten a bit pricey. Still, they're less than other English top shelf specimens. Of them, I'm partial to the Sandalwood. I think I might want to try the Shaving Shop again sometime though.
Regards,
Gordon
Amphibious Tuna

Post by Amphibious Tuna »

Dead Post resurrection warning.
Was reading through some old post and caught this thread.

I know some of you are collectors of shave den items. I found this while looking for the Stephens Talc on line -- some interesting "Talc Items":

http://collectibles.rubylane.com/collec ... 33.13.html

Re the C&M talcs -- Stienmart seems to almost always have C&M talc along with a bunch of other C&M products and at reduced prices. I really like C&M Sandalwood best of all the sandalwood talcs I have used.

Unlike some of us hear, I fear not the Rose, and wear it in public a lot. I think Taylors Elegant Rose is the very best of the lot for a criisp rose scent that is not unmanly at all.
Peace. Bob
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, this saga continues....apparently. The Steinmarts here in Tampa occasionally have some C-M items but rarely talc. At long intervels the C-M Almond talc ( which I find useable ) appears but they've never had the actual men's talcs anytime that I've checked. As everything but the Stephan's ran out I was fortunate enough to get two cannisters of the WoW Lavender talc from a fellow SMF member. Too bad it's so hard to find as I think it is excellent; clean crisp masculine lavender scent, something like the old C&E version. Amazingly I also found still another buried tin of the Floris No 89 and lucked into two shakers of the Bronnley Lavender talc just recently at T J Maxx/Marshalls. While it's a bit more 'feminine' than the WoW, the scent is acceptable and the quality is, of course, high. So, once again, I'm set for a bit and have dodged the high priced bullet.
Regards,
Gordon