Removing old bristles

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
churchilllafemme

Removing old bristles

Post by churchilllafemme »

I have a brush handle from which I want to remove the old bristles, so that I can replace them with a new silvertip or super knot. However, I'm not really a handyman and don't have a dremel or even a power drill. I had read that one shaver here had used channel lock pliers to yank out old bristles, then used a drill with a dremel bit to get the last of them out. Does anyone have any other suggestions for getting the residual bristles out without a power drill? If I were going to be doing this regularly, I'd buy a drill, but I probably am going to do just the one brush. Any ideas would be appreciated.
_______
John
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

Depends on the brush, if its one that wasn't hand tied and is just a plug, good luck with that you're going to need a drill or a lot of patience and an ice pick to get all the epoxy out.

These are the steps I use before I bust the drill out,
Tape the entire handle with duct tape, making sure to go completely go around the collar and fold in the pieces of tape with my thumbnail.

A pair of scissors or sheers and trim the bristle down as far as possible

After that comes the drill :lol:
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Or you could just send the handle in to Rudy Vey or Bernd at Shavemac... unless you see yourself as doing a number of these restorations/repairs
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Or band saw the handle in half lengthwise, chisel out what doesn't belong, epoxy the two halves back together . . . wait a minute, you don't have a band saw . . . never mind.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sodapopjones wrote:Depends on the brush, if its one that wasn't hand tied and is just a plug, good luck with that you're going to need a drill or a lot of patience and an ice pick to get all the epoxy out.

These are the steps I use before I bust the drill out,
Tape the entire handle with duct tape, making sure to go completely go around the collar and fold in the pieces of tape with my thumbnail.

A pair of scissors or sheers and trim the bristle down as far as possible

After that comes the drill :lol:
This is the only way I know of. Maybe it's time to get a drill and don't forget to get some bits to go with it!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
druphus

Post by druphus »

Squire wrote:Or band saw the handle in half lengthwise, chisel out what doesn't belong, epoxy the two halves back together . . . wait a minute, you don't have a band saw . . . never mind.
:lol: We should turn you loose on a wood-working forum Squire! :lol:

Do they make Feather band saws?
Regards,
Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

If they did I'm sure it would cut.
Regards,
Squire