any recommendations for a good, steamproof shaving mirror?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
obsessis

any recommendations for a good, steamproof shaving mirror?

Post by obsessis »

I'm thinking about picking up a decent mirror to use in the shower, do you have any suggestions of one that is truly 'fogproof'?
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

My suggestion, use a cheap mirror and give it a quick swipe with some shaving soap before using. I just run my fingers across a puck of Williams Mug soap that I use in the shower (as a bath soap), apply to the mirror without lathering it up and then use the edge of my hand to squeegee the mirror off. Stays fog free for the entire shave and when done, I just rinse the mirror off and let air dry til next time. The mirrors I get are in a plastic frame, only cost $3 or so and get chucked out the door when they start to look a bit ratty. I wish there was a true fog free mirror but so far I've not found one that actually works anywhere near as well as my above suggestion.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

kaptain_zero wrote:My suggestion, use a cheap mirror and give it a quick swipe with some shaving soap before using. I just run my fingers across a puck of Williams Mug soap that I use in the shower (as a bath soap), apply to the mirror without lathering it up and then use the edge of my hand to squeegee the mirror off. Stays fog free for the entire shave and when done, I just rinse the mirror off and let air dry til next time. The mirrors I get are in a plastic frame, only cost $3 or so and get chucked out the door when they start to look a bit ratty. I wish there was a true fog free mirror but so far I've not found one that actually works anywhere near as well as my above suggestion.

Regards

Christian
Christian,

Somewhere I read that someone was doing basically the same thing with car wax. My understanding was that it did not have to be done everytime. Might be worth a try.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Somewhere I read that someone was doing basically the same thing with car wax. My understanding was that it did not have to be done everytime. Might be worth a try.
Yes, I suspect that would work fine as well... only difference I can think of is that droplets of water would bead up on the mirror whereas the thin film of soap makes the droplets spread out by breaking down the surface tension of the droplets. For simplicity, the soap is quick to do in the shower should the mirror start fogging up again... I'd hate to have to stop my shave to wax the mirror! :lol: Still... I'll give it a try on the magnifying side just to see if it does work better.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
FrancisDeSales

Post by FrancisDeSales »

Denatured Alcohol.

Apply to a damp cloth, cover entire mirror, allow to dry. Repeat weekly or as needed.
"The Catholic Church is like a thick steak, a glass of red wine, and a good cigar."
[GK Chesterton].