SUMMER TIME SHAVING...

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
marsos52

SUMMER TIME SHAVING...

Post by marsos52 »

wondering if others feel that shaving in the warmer and hotter weather
makes a difference to you as compared to winter time..

each season change i notice my shaves change..for years i have not been able to explain the difference..

this year i have paid closer attention and i now know that the warmer and hotter weather gives me a smoother and more comfortable and even a bit closer shave..

maybe its the heat opens the pores of the skin better or more ...
not quite sure,,

so chime in please with how you feel your shaves change in different seasons or weather...

marc
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Hmmm -- I certainly find that I have favourite products in the warmer weather -- Proraso and Limes in particular. But I am not sure that I find the shaving any better, or easier. I will say, that my face has a harder time in the warm weather as I sweat profusely - and I do mean profusely. As a result, I find that after a shave, if I am outside, my face can feel tender and irritated quickly from rubbing the sweat off my skin. Probably more of an issue with irritation than an issue with sensitive skin, 'cos I even find that problem in the winter --- labouring up a sweat after a shave, that is. For that reason, I like to do my exerting work before I shave.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gaj90027

Post by gaj90027 »

I absolutely have preferred products for each season but I don't notice much of a difference in my shave from season to season.

Wendell, from one sweaty guy to another :P have you considered shaving at night once it cools down? By the time morning rolls around my face is fully healed, still stubble free and not as sensitive to the rubbing of sweat off my face.
Garry's Sample Shop - http://sampleshop.blogspot.com
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Re: SUMMER TIME SHAVING...

Post by Odio Barbillas »

marsos52 wrote:maybe its the heat opens the pores of the skin better or more ...
not quite sure,,
marc
Marc, rest assured of one thing:

http://askville.amazon.com/pores-face-o ... Id=6939979
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

More lime in the Summer, perhaps, not much else changes.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Marc, No difference for me, but then again, we don't have that extreme a seasonal change here, although we do get some 'cold snaps' in the winter and there is not much in the way of effective central heat. The summers are long and very hot and humid with the AC running constantly. As Squire noted, the only change for me is more lime and lavender shave goods and cologne in summer and more Spanish Leather when it's cooler.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Another sweaty guy here Wendell. I have similar issues in the summer.
Cheers,

Craig
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

gaj90027 wrote:...

Wendell, from one sweaty guy to another :P have you considered shaving at night once it cools down? By the time morning rolls around my face is fully healed, still stubble free and not as sensitive to the rubbing of sweat off my face.
Yup -- been there, done that -- lots and lots. I often shave in the evening --- but if I am exerting myself in any way --- then I try to not shave until my activities are done. It's the only way to eliminate the problem.
Wendell

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

The big problem for me is shaving in the winter - I have really sensitive skin, so a few minutes outside with no lotion or something soothing applied beforehand and my face is chapping off. Thus my winter shave routine usually includes some sort of heavy - both the product itself and my application - balm as opposed to splash.

I, too, sweat profusely, but in the summertime this ends up kind of nice on the golf course or out and about - if a splash scent has faded, it tends to revitalize even after I get instead and dry off.
Regards,
Mike
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

Lime and menthol. Actually enjoy a TSD soap Iced Mojito on really hot days.
Shawn
Karstedt

Post by Karstedt »

I hear you guys on the sweating. I have to cool down a little after my shower regardless of weather just so I don't start rinsing the lather off while shaving with sweat from my forehead.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Summer is easy, winter is tougher for shaving. The only downside is that I really think my fave Musgo Real splash is too strong in scent with perspiration, so it is left to rest for colder times.
Jarmo
Kirasdad

Post by Kirasdad »

While I do not sweat like a farm animal :lol: ; I do make certain changes in my summer shaving routine. I tend to use lighter scented creams and soaps, and I favor a little menthol in my aftershave. Currently my favorite summer shave is Prairie Creations Lime soap w/ added menthol, followed by either Floid Soave or Booster's Lime aftershave. Both give me a nice cooling feeling as I head out to face another sticky, humid day here in NYC.
Peace,
Andrew

Those who danced were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Karstedt wrote:I hear you guys on the sweating. I have to cool down a little after my shower regardless of weather just so I don't start rinsing the lather off while shaving with sweat from my forehead.
Yup -- that's me as well. Hate the summer for that one reason. That and all the bugs.
Wendell

scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I use brushless shaving creams frequently during the summer with cold water. I can not stand touching my face with a brush when the temperature in my apartment is over 90 degrees.
Ed
harper

Post by harper »

In the winter I will use coconut shave cream periodically because I perceive that it might be more oily ane will not make my face oily as much as it would in summer but this is likely just a superstition of some sort.

Other than that, much the same throughout the year.