Henckels Friodur

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

EastTexasMan wrote:I have a Henkels Platinum that takes a great edge.What is the difference between my Platinum and the Friodur?

Paul
I've got a Platinum as well and was wondering the same.

Scott
Seraphim

Post by Seraphim »

A Friodur is a cryogenically treated stainless razor. The Platinum is a carbon razor.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I understand honing s stainless razor requires a bit more honing due to the nature of the steel. Regarding finishing hones, would a Friodur respond better to an Escher or to Shapton 16/30K glass hones, presuming those are the only two available choices?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

Gary, I really think people tend to over hone stainless razors. They are not as difficult as made out.

I've used both Escher and Shapton 16000 hones with good results, but I think the real trick is ten to twelve laps on a CrOx pasted paddle to finish.
John
TstebinsB

Post by TstebinsB »

Hawkeye5 wrote:Gary, I really think people tend to over hone stainless razors. They are not as difficult as made out.
I agree. Less is more on a Friodur. The edge will crumble pretty quickly.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I took the advice to take it easy on honing, and not overdo it. A month ago I honed all of the razors, including the Friodur and the Hess stainless blades. They took new edges effortlessly, and the shaves are the best yet.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TstebinsB

Post by TstebinsB »

Here's another Friodur 250th.

brothers

Post by brothers »

Telly, these are exquisite. Thanks for the eye candy. None of my business, of course, but how do you manage to find these beauties? :lol:
Gary

TstebinsB

Post by TstebinsB »

I have friends in Japan who help me source stuff. 8)
SejanusTO

Post by SejanusTO »

Telly is simply a miracle worker, time and time again.

(I think it's magic personally.) ;)
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm just checking back in to leave a note that the Fiodur, 3 1/2 months and several shaves ago, since it was honed for the first time, is finding it's groove. Always a smooth and dependable shaver. Another one I was very fortunate to find. Now I know why they're so popular.
Gary

Obie

Post by Obie »

Gentlemen,
I have only one NOS Friodur, a 7/8 square point, and, after only one shave, find it a sweet shave.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up, 4 months since my last mention of this great razor. It's been about 6 or 7 weeks since it was last honed. Now, about 3 shaves post honing, with pre shave stropping, it's as smooth and silky as ever. It's a keeper! By my reckoning, I'll get another 5 shaves from it before it's set to be rehoned on May 1st. I don't think 8 shaves between visits to the hones is unreasonable.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If you hone a straight every eight shaves you can't plan on handing it on to the next generation, and, there may be something wrong with the honing!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
pinklather

Post by pinklather »

TstebinsB wrote:
EastTexasMan wrote:I have a Henkels Platinum that takes a great edge.What is the difference between my Platinum and the Friodur?

Paul
I've never heard of the Platinum. Do you have a photo?
Platinum is just an HC steel Henckels. A rather nice one, I might add.

When a friend asked how I liked a recent friodur acquisition, I said its boring. In all the right ways. You do your part, you get nice edge, nice shave. Every time. 'Not fussy to hone, not fussy to shave with or maintain.

'They aren't the lightest blade, but could be even more heavy.

I was surprised by Chris' statement they're extra hollow. They didn't look that hollow, but that made me break out the dial calipers and he's absolutely right. Measured approx. 1/8" above the bevel, my 6/8 is .006" thick.

I have the pleasure of test shaving an 8/8, recently scaled by gssixgun. 'Maybe the nicest complement of blade to scales I've seen - in dark horn. 'Can't wait to try it.
http://straightrazorplace.com/custom-bu ... -spec.html

Photo of Platinum
dosco

Post by dosco »

pinklather

Post by pinklather »

discussion was about Friodurs. The photo is of a Platinum, in response to the question of having a photo of a Platinum.