Mowers - Toro, Honda, Troy Bilt

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Mowers - Toro, Honda, Troy Bilt

Post by Sam »

Thinking of the Toro Recycler 20333 (blade clutch system is a plus and personal pace walking) and the comparable Honda and Troy Bilt.

Relatively flat yard, couple of trees, and a pool in back, but side yard has some slopiing, but not severe. Usually mulch it, bag it maybe 4 times a year. Thinking that rear wheel drive would be better. Have had both and the rear wheel (Honda before) lasted well, and the front wheel (Craftsman I am replacing now) really never pulled that great and, well, unimpressive.

The Toro (20333 and 20332) were 7 and 8 in Consumer Reports and the same-priced Honda was #6, but it did not have the blade clutch and well, that is a handy feature (always moving a hose, picking up something, or when emptying the bag, start and stop avoided) and Toro has a better reliability record
function

Post by function »

Had no problems with years of my Toro. Now I have no yard and no mower. Soon will have a small yard and may go electric.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have always been a less expensive mower guy. I own a Murray self-propelled, and it has served me extremely well for some time. I have only had to replace the drive belt once in 10 years, and that was last year. Easy-peasy job, it was.

My neighbor had a Honda for the last 15 years -- it died on him, and he replaced it with an electric. Our yards are about 150 feet deep, with the home on a rise with a few trees. Neither of us have any issues.

Have always wanted a Toro, but have never been able to justify the cost -- so long as a much less expensive mower has done the trick and not broken down. ymmv, obviously.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

And Wendell, I would go that route, but being a corner lot, I want something that will not stop and with the little incline I have, Id say 7% on the side, I need power. Takes me an hour to cut the yard with a mulching mower, and I need the bagger at times. I have gone cheap and well, 3 to 4 years it craps out. I know it is a case of YMMV but I looked at consumer reports and knocked out anything over $400. I can get a Troybilt for about $280 but the Toros and that one Honda look good at just $120 more, and that blade brake clutch (the mower keeps idling but does not turn off if you have to stop mowing and walk away - my Craftsman, when you release the cutting mechanism, you have to crank it again.)
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I remember the WHA had a team called the Toronto Toros, and the Toronto Maple Leaf guys used to call them the Toronto Lawn Mowers!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have to give credit to Toro for the self propelled mulching model we've had for a long time. It's one of those that is guaranteed to start on the first or second pull. I've sharpened the blade and changed the oil every year and the spark plug maybe every other year. I did have to have it in the shop a year ago when a piece of debris was causing the gas pickup to close so it wouldn't stay running. Even after sitting unused for months between November and April or May, it still starts on one pull, rarely two or more. I'm impressed with the Toro.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Best mower I ever had was a Snapper.
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Best mower I ever had was a college kid named Chip.
Regards,
Squire
Velomane

Post by Velomane »

Best mower I ever had was a college kid's brother named Ernie.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Best mower I ever had was the college kid's other brother named Robbie.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am guessing you gents all must mean one of these three younger characters ......

Image.

Loved that show -- Fred McMurray was the original kookie dad -- Steve Martin apparently took some of his traits for George Banks from McMurray's Steven Douglas character from My Three Sons.

Well, maybe not the psycho-grocery melt-down scene ...... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYIHLUxzRr8

Seriously, Sam -- I do see your point --- I again say that from my limited experience (based on my neighbor) the Toro looks like the way to go.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

I'm on my second Honda self-propelled mower. I like it quite well. It's the easiest to start mower I've ever owned. It has dual blades which makes for very fine clippings whether bagging or using the mulching plug.

The only issue I have is that the transmission on the first one starting slipping after three years. I gave it to my son. He "likes" the extra effort requirement.

It starts on the first pull of the rope. Always. Its even so easy to start that my wifemate frequently does the mowing!

I bought the last one at HD. I really should have spent the extra $25 and bought it from the locally owned shop. My bad.
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I bought the toro this year after reading its rating at consumer reports. absolutely hated it and took it right back........and that 'doesnt stop running' feature isnt worth didlly squat. Furthermore, the toro stops cutting when the grass grows more than a few inches, seriously useless..... I went and bought a husqvarna mulcher 6021P for about $200 and it rocks!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously unbelievable mower and so easy to move around. One of the problems with self propelled is that they are A: heavy and B: hard to swing around obstacles etc For reference i mow 10+ acres, so finding the right products was numero importo :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Clive, PM me with more. That personal pace was intuitive to use but you are right, it is a heavy machine. My grass was a little wet and I could feel that it was not catching all that much on the yard. It was more like self-propelled assist and not all that much. On the driveway, yes, it will pull me forward. The personal pace part was nicer that one or two fixed speeds.

Yes, Id be interested on your take of a regular "push" mower, being lighter, but sometimes, maybe 5 times a year, I need a bad to catch the clippings and I worry that it will get heavy. I did like the ability to empty the bag without having to have the whole engine shut down and recrank it.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I bought a Honda mower in 1991 and it started on the first pull every time until 2003 when I got a service in. I still have the mower sitting in the garden shed and it still looks very good.

I also have a Toro snowblower which has given me nothing but trouble every year.

If the need arises again I will purchase a Honda over a Toro regardless of what CR says... (and I'm not talking about the shave guru...)
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
changabang

Post by changabang »

On the other hand, I've had nothing but trouble with Hondas. Imho, stick with the Toro. You can't kill a Briggs & Stratton engine, and they're really reliable, being less finicky. Plus the Toro is cheaper.
James Nicks
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I am using the Toro. Used it last night, the cut was so so but grass a bit wet. I can keep it up to 30 days and return it to Home Depot. May get a price quote at Sears to fix the old one while I am at it.
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

I have a 4 year old Lawnboy which I find to be excellent. I have a large lot and it has never skipped a beat. The key is maintenance, if you keep on top of these machines they should go a while. I understand that Lawnboy and Toro are now the same firm and both a great products.

Honda also makes a solid machine - my brother has had one in service for 22 years and has never skipped a beat... or was that my other brother Daryl??? :D
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
changabang

Post by changabang »

It always comes down to a YMMV thing, doesn't it? If you rely on the ratings, Consumer Reports (et al), may be on the mark, or they may not be. See Wendell's post. They'd probably never recommend a Murray, and yet he's had good luck with one.
James Nicks
function

Post by function »

jtpca wrote:I have a 4 year old Lawnboy which I find to be excellent.
I think LawnBoy = Toro now. The good old days of the 2-cycle LawnBoy engine that ran forever have gone the way of leaded gas and longer engine life, asbestos brake pads and no warped rotors, the dodo bird etc.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.