Fidelity? Is that you?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
drumana

Fidelity? Is that you?

Post by drumana »

Well, I don't know but I may have stumbled upon some type of fidelity. I lost interest in trying out new blades, razors, creams, soaps and aftershaves a long while ago and my urges to try new brushes are getting weaker and weaker. I think I've petered myself out. I feel at peace and content with what I have. Strange...
-Andrew-
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

And what have you settled on for your Fidelity? Inquiring minds want to know! :wink:
Jason

Post by bernards66 »

Andrew, Yes, that's how it goes ( for those who make it at all...sigh ). I've posted this before, to provide some dim hope for those in the grip of various shaving ADs....they can, over a considerable period of time and after much cash outlay...kind of wear themselves out. It happened to me a number of years ago, but I had already been at all this for a long time by then. Enjoy your well earned serenity ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
druphus

Post by druphus »

Baloosh wrote:And what have you settled on for your Fidelity? Inquiring minds want to know! :wink:
Let me guess, how about:

Edwin Jagger DE86 with Derby
Simpson Duke 3 best
shave cream: (somewhat mood dependent)
jojoba oil with EO (compliment the cream)
Regards,
Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I suppose I use mostly the same stuff, partly from habit, partly because they work, though not from any conscious decision. With the great banquet of shaving supplies out there limiting myself would be like eating the same meal every day.
Regards,
Squire
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

I have used the same brush, razor and soap since 1970. Well, sort of. Alas, my favorite soap became unavailable in 1982 and ultimately went out of production, so I have actually used two different hard soaps. Also, after thirty-five years, my brush went out of production, so I bought the last one available as twenty-year-old NOS, even though my 1970 brush was working just fine. I don't know if anyone on this list has been as constant, but one can see that however monomaniacal one may be, change happens.

Buzz
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i'm pretty decent I think......merkur razor, merkur blade, trumper rose soap and a tulip3 now which replaced my vulfix 2234 I think its been since early 2007 that i found my utopia :lol: :lol:

I buy the stuff people talk about here and i give it a whirl, but nothing, not one item has ever been good enough to use more than once simply because they never compare for one reason or another to what i already use

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I am there with you Andrew. Shaving is now much more a pleasure since I have all I need.

I laugh (silently) sometimes, reading all the messages fellow shavers here tell, acquiring stuff and more.
Jarmo
drumana

Post by drumana »

druphus wrote:
Baloosh wrote:And what have you settled on for your Fidelity? Inquiring minds want to know! :wink:
Let me guess, how about:

Simpson Duke 3 best
Andy, that's pretty close. You've just crushed my theory that nobody reads my SOTD posts :lol: Here is my kit:

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE86; Muhle R89 for backup and travel
Blade: Derby
Brushes: Simpson (namely the CH1 range, D3, X1, 56); Omega boar 11137 (gotta have a boar brush!)
shave soap/cream: QCS, Fitjar. (I have some others that I like enough to finish, but not enough to purchase again once they are gone)
aftershave: jojoba oil scented with EO of choice
cologne: none
-Andrew-
river1

Post by river1 »

Andrew, you are right and I have more of a rotation. More razors, soaps, and brushes are much less appealing. I would still like to try Creed GIT and
knize 10 but the AD's are more in control and should really cleAn out the den.
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I find myself on the same road for quite sometime with an added twist of returning to a cartridge with superlative results.

The desire to "jump on" and try the latest and greatest has faded more dramatically then I expected, my contentment grows daily as simple and great shaves are the norm.
Good shaving,

Gary
ateace

Post by ateace »

This is slowly happening for me. I still get a case of "me too" here and there, but it is less often now.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I went through a huge acquisition and discard phase 2008-2009 and now know what I want. You can count the products on one hand, if the hand happens to belong to Architeuthis dux.
Ron
drumana

Post by drumana »

Well, I joined SMF in April of 2007, so I had a good 3 or 4 years of playing the field. There's really not too much out there that peaks my interest anymore. Perhaps a Thater or Shavemac brush, or another Simpson for giggles, but even with these I don't have much motivation to actually follow through and get one.
-Andrew-
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Serenity as Gordon says indeed. Andrew you have a great set up. I've come full circle back to the classic English creams (mixed in with some soaps) and the Feather Stainless DE and a few blades. Lee Sabini has/is peeking my interest and when new things pop up (like the Feather SS) it gets tempting.

Max
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

drumana wrote:
druphus wrote:
Let me guess, how about:

Simpson Duke 3 best
Andy, that's pretty close. You've just crushed my theory that nobody reads my SOTD posts :lol: Here is my kit:

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE86; Muhle R89 for backup and travel
Blade: Derby
Brushes: Simpson (namely the CH1 range, D3, X1, 56); Omega boar 11137 (gotta have a boar brush!)
shave soap/cream: QCS, Fitjar. (I have some others that I like enough to finish, but not enough to purchase again once they are gone)
aftershave: jojoba oil scented with EO of choice
cologne: none
lol actually I love your SOTD posts. I've been wondering about where you get your EOs and which ones you have etc.

The cool part about SOTD is it cuts through the product hype and you see what people *really* use. Very interesting and educational.

Scott
river1

Post by river1 »

drumana wrote:Well, I joined SMF in April of 2007, so I had a good 3 or 4 years of playing the field. There's really not too much out there that peaks my interest anymore. Perhaps a Thater or Shavemac brush, or another Simpson for giggles, but even with these I don't have much motivation to actually follow through and get one.
Andrew, don't tell us that you still are missing a Shavemac in Your rotation? You have to keep going :roll:
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i only shaved with a slant a merkur or gillette blade and what ever soap i could find when started de shaving in the 70's

all the way till i found shave my face...i have since tried several razors and tried some blades and a few brushes..and a few high end soaps

now i am pretty mush back to my old routine,, no more slant ,,,but a futur and a barberpole for razors and stilll love my merkur blades

MWF is my main soap and trumpers too,, i settled with a emilllion and a 1/1 for ronney brushes

i feel no need to try any thing else

great shaves every day
marc
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Like many here I've been shaving for "a while". Like many I've come down to the point where I have my favorite rotation of razors, brush, soap, cream, and favorite blade. But I can't seem to get enough blades. There are so many out there to try and I do believe I have enough for several lifetimes, but I want more. Haven't bought any in a few years, but you can't obtain fidelity if you still are not satisfied with what you have. Sooooo maybe I'll never get there.

Congrats... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
drumana

Post by drumana »

ScottB wrote: lol actually I love your SOTD posts. I've been wondering about where you get your EOs and which ones you have etc.

The cool part about SOTD is it cuts through the product hype and you see what people *really* use. Very interesting and educational.

Scott
Scott - That's the same reason I like the SOTD section. Over time, you can see the fads come and go and get insight into what truly works for people.

Regarding the EO's - I get them at Whole Foods. They are pretty cheap (except for the sandalwood) and go a long ways. Also smell way better than colognes and fragrance oils, IMO.
-Andrew-