Fidelity? Is that you?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
drumana

Post by drumana »

river1 wrote: Andrew, don't tell us that you still are missing a Shavemac in Your rotation? You have to keep going :roll:
Haha... Yeah, haven't tried a Shavemac yet but I probably will at some point. I do like the looks of them and they have a fantastic reputation among the discerning community of the shave forums. Still, I'm quite content with my Simpson brushes at the moment.
-Andrew-
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Andrew, Which Whole Foods? I frequent the Dedham Whole Foods but did not know about their EO stock. I'm always at the Fish counter.

Max
drumana

Post by drumana »

The EO's are by the section with shaving stuff, deodorants, perfumes/colognes, massage oils, etc...
-Andrew-
brothers

Post by brothers »

About a year and a half ago, a member JimR made a statement about when someone finds "the clearing at the end of the path" I believe he said. That seems like a good choice of words.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I've been using the same razor, blade, and brush for over 6 months. Soaps have been a small rotation of 4-5, and I'll probably get that number down lower. A lot of unused shave soaps are being used up in the shower*, I imagine using Trumper rose shave soap to wash my undercarriage with would upset some people here. It does a great job at that btw.

*there is nothing wrong with these soaps for shaving with (except Taylor lavender and Plisson soap bother my face) I just don't use them and can't be bothered to sell them.
Richard
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

^^^^^^^^^^^^:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

I've been using the same Trumper's Razor, Omega brush and rotating between a Trumper's Sandalwood soap and a vintage Harris Almond soap for over 8 months. Rotation between a few different blades though. I don't know what to do with the rest. My most used cologne this summer happens to be Penhaligon's Douro.
Regards,
Jani
sffone

Post by sffone »

I've been wet-shaving for 40+ years, and I still enjoying trying different blades, soaps, razors, etc., though I have some "basics" that I always go back to. Presently, I'm into making brushes so that I can experiment with different handle styles, materials, and knots.
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

rustyblade wrote: I imagine using Trumper rose shave soap to wash my undercarriage with would upset some people here. It does a great job at that btw.
oh the humanity!

:)
Scott
brothers

Post by brothers »

Soap is just soap! :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

sffone wrote:I've been wet-shaving for 40+ years, and I still enjoying trying different blades, soaps, razors, etc., though I have some "basics" that I always go back to. Presently, I'm into making brushes so that I can experiment with different handle styles, materials, and knots.
SFFONE,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

COME OFTEN, STAY LONG AND ENJOY... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hi sffone, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

sffone wrote:I've been wet-shaving for 40+ years, and I still enjoying trying different blades, soaps, razors, etc., though I have some "basics" that I always go back to. Presently, I'm into making brushes so that I can experiment with different handle styles, materials, and knots.
Welcome to SMF.

Making brushes? Wow you will fit right in here. That is alot of wetshaving experience.

Scott
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

M6Classic wrote:I have used the same brush, razor and soap since 1970. Well, sort of. Alas, my favorite soap became unavailable in 1982 and ultimately went out of production, so I have actually used two different hard soaps. Also, after thirty-five years, my brush went out of production, so I bought the last one available as twenty-year-old NOS, even though my 1970 brush was working just fine. I don't know if anyone on this list has been as constant, but one can see that however monomaniacal one may be, change happens.

Buzz

So, What is your longstanding brush,razor and soap selection? Any particular blade?

Alan :?:
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Alan, he's one of those odd chaps that likes Merkur's.
Regards,
Jani
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

alcx77 wrote: So, What is your longstanding brush,razor and soap selection? Any particular blade?

Alan :?:
I am sure most list members are well aware of my habits and will forgive me if I run through it again...

Actually, I am pretty indifferent to blades, I buy whatever blade is in stock at Colonial Drug when I need them and I have never noticed a better shave with any particular blade. Presently I have Merkurs.

My razor is a 1970 Merkur travel set re-badged for Hoffritz. It is contained in a 1.5" square, hammered metal case lined with blue velvet. The razor breaks down to two nesting pieces for the handle and a two piece head. It has served me well.

My brush is a #24 Plisson HMW set in plexiglass. Vintage 1977-82, bought NOS in 2005 or 2006 when Plisson announced these brushes were discontinued, it has a 32 mm calibre knot. It is apparent that even Plisson can no longer procure that brilliant white high mountain badger. This brush replaced a perfectly serviceable twin I had used from 1970 to 2005.

Since about 1982 I have made lather from Trumpers sandalwood hard soap. From 1970 to 1982 I used Floris No. 89 exclusively until it became unavailable. The currently available Floris No. 89 hard soap is pathetic.

Buzz
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

I could be, but why? I have slowed down. One does a lot of experimenting with the different styles and flavors of it all so certainly some things don't need to be repeated. But after that variety is the spice of life!
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

M6Classic wrote:I am sure most list members are well aware of my habits and will forgive me if I run through it again...

Actually, I am pretty indifferent to blades, I buy whatever blade is in stock at Colonial Drug when I need them and I have never noticed a better shave with any particular blade. Presently I have Merkurs.

My razor is a 1970 Merkur travel set re-badged for Hoffritz. It is contained in a 1.5" square, hammered metal case lined with blue velvet. The razor breaks down to two nesting pieces for the handle and a two piece head. It has served me well.

My brush is a #24 Plisson HMW set in plexiglass. Vintage 1977-82, bought NOS in 2005 or 2006 when Plisson announced these brushes were discontinued, it has a 32 mm calibre knot. It is apparent that even Plisson can no longer procure that brilliant white high mountain badger. This brush replaced a perfectly serviceable twin I had used from 1970 to 2005.

Since about 1982 I have made lather from Trumpers sandalwood hard soap. From 1970 to 1982 I used Floris No. 89 exclusively until it became unavailable. The currently available Floris No. 89 hard soap is pathetic.

Buzz
For 40 years that was my identical story, except I had no brush and my lather was in a can from the same drug or grocery store where I got my blades. I enjoyed shaving VERY much, just about every day. If I hadn't ever discovered the forums, I'd still have been a happy guy.

The only dark periods of time were when the electric shaver temporarily ate my brain, and I was just plodding along from day to day. Many many times, usually on the weekends when time was more ample, I'd roll out the Schick Krona and some nice lather and have a wonderful shave that made me happy for the rest of the day.
Gary

Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

I, too, have settled for what is working for me: Gillette LHSA, Dorco 301s, and a Savile Row brush (I forget the number; I suppose I need to turn in my wetshaving card for that :oops: ).

The only real variables will be the Yardley Black Label when it finally runs out and the cream/soap. Right now I'm using a tube of Palmolive purchased on a recent trip abroad. I like it a lot. I haven't looked into the expense of replacing it when it's used up.

Sure, there's other stuff out there. Lots of it. Some of it might even be better than what I'm using now. But I'm satisfied with what I'm using and I remain unconvinced that a whole lot of buying and trying really is worth what I suspect would be an incremental improvement. That's actually a philosophy I've taken in many other areas of life: good enough is, quite often, good enough.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

BTW, shave soap makes a wonderful thick lather when used to shampoo the hair.
Richard