Fidelity? Is that you?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Guys, please, lets not hurt the feelings of our vendors.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I've got things pretty well narrowed down to a few favorites now:

Edwin Jagger DE87 razor with Treet Dura Sharp or Personna Hospital Use blades

Semogue badger brush with Art of Shaving or Valobra hard soap
Semogue boar brush with Cella soft shaving soap

Thayer's Witch Hazel Astringent (Original/Unscented, Peach, or Lemon) mixed with bit of lather and massaged into the skin.

I'm using some vintage blades right now.
Last night, I hand-stropped and loaded a Personna 74 into my razor and I was blown away by the shave. My beard isn't very thick, but it is coarse and benefits from a sharp blade. The 74 cut through it like there was nothing there. I almost didn't even hear or feel it cutting, and it was incredibly smooth. In spite of the sharpness, it wasn't at all aggressive. I got a very close and irritation-free shave with less effort.
I have a few Personna 74s, Wilkinson Sword Light Brigades and similar vintage, Gillette Swedes, and a few Schick DEs. (I'm also blessed with almost 200 NOS Schick Injector blades.)

Other razors that might see occasional use are the Feather All Stainless and the iKon Bulldog with safety bars. And I still hope to become more comfortable with Schick Injectors; after all, I learned to shave with a Type L.

- Murray
f308gt4

Post by f308gt4 »

My daily routine:

Proraso Aloe and Green Tea
Omega Syntex Brush
Gillette Fusion (oh my!!)
Proraso pre-post cream immediately after the shave
After a few minutes, use Eucerin Everyday Protective Lotion SPF30 for my face

This has been a wonderful combo for me, and I don't see a need to use anything else. Weekdays, I do 2 passes with the fusion, one with the grain, one across the grain. Gives me a baby butt smooth shave. On weekends, I just do one pass. One blade typically lasts me a month.

I used to use a gillette adjustable DE, but frankly, it required too much effort to get a good shave (at least 3 passes to be equivalent to the fusion). The syntex brush works really well with the proraso. I have a badger brush that pretty much sits unused now. Slowly but surely, I have used up my other shaving supplies, and just restock on the proraso products when needed.

This combo works well for me, and I don't see any need to waste money on other products. Makes for a boring forum presence, I know, but that's OK with me.
brothers

Post by brothers »

F30, I'm impressed! There was a time when I had a long-established and extremely simple regimen for shaving. I enjoyed it then, but then circumstances changed and I had to check out some other stuff, which I'm in the midst of doing now. It turns out that I've grown very fond of the rich variety (a banquet, according to Squire).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

How much I experiment with my set up is directly proportional to the amount of cash I have in the bank.

Its that simple.

When I am broke...like I am now...I stay quite satisfied with my set up.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Aztecface wrote:Alan, he's one of those odd chaps that likes Merkur's.
I like Merkers too...for a change of pace :!:
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

Four years into the journey, I've settled on the shaving tools that work best for me. My remaining shaving opportunities being finite, I tend to restrict myself to what provides me the greatest pleasure:

Razors: ikon OC Deluxe Bulldog, Gillette English NEW/iKon Bulldog handle
Blades: Super Iridium, Perma-Sharp Super
Brushes:Omega boars - Pro 49, 10066
Soaps: MWF, Euro Palmolive, DR Harris Almond
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive
Moisturizer: Rosehip seed oil

That's about it. I've got a bunch of other nice shaving options, but rarely use them.

I still very much enjoy reading of others' explorations, but no longer feel compelled to go on buying sprees (except when purchasing back-ups for my back-ups). Andrew's soap explorations of several years ago were among my favorites. I never did get around to trying Institut Karite......

Regards,
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”
drumana

Post by drumana »

gagarin wrote: Andrew's soap explorations of several years ago were among my favorites. I never did get around to trying Institut Karite......
Yeah, I went a little nuts, but I had fun and learned quite a bit. I have fond memories of those that I wound up leaving behind. Yet at the same time, I don't miss them.

But enough about women. Exploring shave soaps has been fun too. 8)
-Andrew-
drumana

Post by drumana »

Hey all - thought I'd resurrect this thread as I've been pondering how fickle my fidelity can be. QCS, good as it is, has hardly been in my rotation as of late. I've really been hooked on my TOBS shave cream and have been using it almost exclusively for almost two months now. And I've acquired the matching aftershave gel. This combo has been easy, effective and pleasurable - a winning combo for me. Also been using a $15 Omega boar brush despite the numerous Simpson brushes I have vying for attention.

What has remained the same is my Muhle R89 with Derby blade combination.

It is what it is. Things change, no?
-Andrew-
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

"How many orthodox priests does it take to change a lightbulb?"
Answer-"CHANGE?"

I have settled into a few favourites with the caveat of known substitute standards should reformulation or end of production occur.

This has wormed itself into other aspects of my life. I love Lagavulin scotch but will readily try others with Laphraiog as my SS.
I've discovered by accident my face goes well with those almost comical bowties so few men wear.
I acquired a vintage single string dress bowtie with instructions on tieing the thing. Last night I'm watching BULLDOG DRUMMOND with Ronald Coleman- noticed their white tie dress included- single string bowties and
felt this rediculous smugness :oops:

Anyone wonder why some of us no longer post our daily shave :-s
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

drumana wrote:Hey all - thought I'd resurrect this thread as I've been pondering how fickle my fidelity can be. QCS, good as it is, has hardly been in my rotation as of late. I've really been hooked on my TOBS shave cream and have been using it almost exclusively for almost two months now. And I've acquired the matching aftershave gel. This combo has been easy, effective and pleasurable - a winning combo for me. Also been using a $15 Omega boar brush despite the numerous Simpson brushes I have vying for attention.

How is that stuff? Almost never heard it mentioned.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
drumana

Post by drumana »

LouisIII wrote:
drumana wrote:Hey all - thought I'd resurrect this thread as I've been pondering how fickle my fidelity can be. QCS, good as it is, has hardly been in my rotation as of late. I've really been hooked on my TOBS shave cream and have been using it almost exclusively for almost two months now. And I've acquired the matching aftershave gel. This combo has been easy, effective and pleasurable - a winning combo for me. Also been using a $15 Omega boar brush despite the numerous Simpson brushes I have vying for attention.

How is that stuff? Almost never heard it mentioned.

Curious that it's not mentioned much, because it's a great aftershave. Dead match with the shave cream in terms of scent (Sandalwood). Just a little dollop does the job. It goes on thick and sticky and just when you think, "Good lord what is the deal with this stuff" it soaks in completely leaving no stickyness or greasy residue whatsoever, just a nice matte finish. I bought it on a whim but have really been pleasantly surprised with this one.
-Andrew-
drumana

Post by drumana »

Hi there, gents!

I've been away from the forum for several months - personal life and work life have been very busy (all good stuff).

Anyhooo, I've paired down my shave kit considerably, moving more into the realm of what this thread was originally about - fidelity. I have, believe it or not, sold off all of my Simpson brushes but one. Here's my current kit, and I couldn't be happier with it:

Razor: Muhle R89

Blade: After running out of my stock of Derby blades I wound up buying Bluebirds as a replacement. I prefer them to the Derby blades as they are slightly sharper, yet still mild and user friendly.

Brush: Monogrammed Rudy Vey custom Chubby 1.5 with TGN 24mm two band knot set at a 50mm loft. I also have a Vulfix and Semogue boar, as well as my last remaining Simpson (CH1 two band). These latter brushes get little to no use at this point.

Cream/Soap: Kiss My Face unscented. Also have TOBS Sandalwood and a puck of QED cedarwood/pine shave soap, which might finally get some more use in the colder months.

Aftershave: Bulldog aftershave balm. Also, jojoba oil as needed.

There it is. I've been enjoying my shave experience even more with this minimal shave kit.

Edit: Forgot - I also have some TOBS Sandalwood aftershave gel, which I'll probably use more as the colder weather sets in. I still love the scent of TOBS Sandalwood :-)
-Andrew-
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I've been enjoying my shave experience even more with this minimal shave kit.

73 thumbs up to this sentiment.

clive

p.s. nice to see you out and about. i have to look into those custom brushes....my simpson chubby is malting like crazy
de gustibus non est disputandum
drumana

Post by drumana »

Thanks, Clive.

Rudy Vey makes a fine brush at a very decent price. The TGN two band knot is superb - firm backbone with zero scritch on the face.
-Andrew-