Cutting down large bars of soaps

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
m3m0ryleak

Cutting down large bars of soaps

Post by m3m0ryleak »

I was drooling over Phil's collection of Pre de Provence bath soaps and noted they weigh 250g :shock:. Knowing my propensity for dropping things (quiet in the peanut gallery), I don't doubt that more than one of my toes would end up with a bull's eye on it. Anyone have any luck cutting a bar in half cleanly?.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I have.

I use a good, heavy kitchen chef's knife and run the blade under hot tap water (I have very hot water as I keep the water heater turned up pretty high) until the blade is very hot. I then cut the soap immediately, while the blade is hot. I use a pot holder and push down on the blade and the handle simultaneously and evenly, and it cuts the soap cleanly every time.
Cheers,

Craig
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

I just take an SE blade which I have plenty of..cut in 1/4 pieces..or a small kitchen knife
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:I have.

I use a good, heavy kitchen chef's knife and run the blade under hot tap water (I have very hot water as I keep the water heater turned up pretty high) until the blade is very hot. I then cut the soap immediately, while the blade is hot. I use a pot holder and push down on the blade and the handle simultaneously and evenly, and it cuts the soap cleanly every time.
My grandmother likes Claus Porto Favorito but I'm afraid to give her those huge 12.3 ounce bars (maybe she would drop it in the shower?) so I end up having to hunt down the smaller bars which can be hard to find.

I suppose I could use your HotKnife/PotHolder technique and just cut down a couple of my 12.3 ounce bars and wrap them in tissue or something. I'm sure she wouldn't mind the soap not being in the original package.

Scott
changabang

Post by changabang »

Craig has the right idea: a large kitchen knife does just fine. I'm not sure about the necessity of applying heat. I get even better results using a kitchen cleaver. Use steady pressure (no axe-like swings!) over a cutting board, and you're done.
James Nicks
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

ScottB wrote: My grandmother likes Claus Porto Favorito but I'm afraid to give her those huge 12.3 ounce bars (maybe she would drop it in the shower?) so I end up having to hunt down the smaller bars which can be hard to find. I suppose I could use your HotKnife/PotHolder technique and just cut down a couple of my 12.3 ounce bars and wrap them in tissue or something. I'm sure she wouldn't mind the soap not being in the original package.
Scott
Well, that's exactly what I did with one of those giant bars of Claus Porto vetiver soaps. Managed to cut in into thirds using a large kitchen knife (Sabatier).

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.