What do you gents use to carry spare change?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
scruffy

What do you gents use to carry spare change?

Post by scruffy »

I always find myself fumbling for change. The change is usually deep in my pockets. By the time I go to get it, all of the other things in my pockets have fallen out. I usually do not remember which pocket my change is in and I have to shift my hands from pocket to pocket.

I have tried film canisters - the top pops off in my pocket; tiny ziplock bags - they get holes and empty the change into my pocket; my pockets - I can not find the change; the zippered pocket on my wallet - the change slips out of the sides into my pocket; paper sleeves - rip and the change goes into my pocket .... you get the idea.

Most times I can not get to my change. I end up carrying home even more change.

Anybody have a solution that it is not maddening?
Ed
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Three places:
1. A pull-out drawer in my car (i.e. the unused ash tray)
2. My wife's change purse
3. Top of my dresser

I never carry change in my pocket (right-hand front pocket, btw) for more than a period while I am out -- all accumulated change goes into one of the three places noted above.

This probably doesn't help, but you did ask an open ended question. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ash tray, and then a bucket at home. I dump all my change and so does my wife, into the bucket. Each year, we roll it up and give it to our daughter as an extra birthday present. It is usually $240 or so, but one year we got it up to $370 for her.

I am thinking of doing this also with one dollar bills, but a bucket for wife and I to use to take a small weekend getaway each year around our anniversary. Heck, second thought, I want to but she doesn't!! Well, football weekend!
function

Post by function »

I'm with Wendell. I keep a little zippered pouch in the car full of quarters for parking meters, all other change goes in a piggy bank that gets emptied yearly and turned into amazon gift cards at the coinstar machine.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
matt321

Post by matt321 »

I was facinated with pocket-change coins when I was a kid. I liked to study the different sizes, designs, etc. I would hoard, count, and imagine what I could buy if I saved more.

Now I just toss them in a can as soon as I get home. I pay everything with a plastic charge card whenever possible so that helps keep away the change.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I like the bucket idea. I probably will empty it once in a while and give the proceeds to the church.
Ed
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

Last edited by marsos52 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I use something like this and carry it with me all the time:

http://www.menswallet.com/easychangepurse6223.html
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:I use something like this and carry it with me all the time:

I have seen these often, and actually quite like them. Looks like a very good option for in-pocket change management. :D
Wendell

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Here's mine; thick leather, USA made, not the cheap import. I've carried this for years and it's still going strong!

Regards,
David

Regards,
David
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Rufus wrote:I use something like this and carry it with me all the time:

I am 56 and remember seeing lots of men carrying these when I was a kid. I always thought they were elegant looking and and not frumpy old mannish. I think it's time I got one. Fishing out a handful of keys and change is a pain especially with people on line behind you and coins spilling out of your hand.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

DEBIT CARD... :wink:

I hate change...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Gene

Post by Gene »

When I get change I keep it in my left front pocket until I can deal with it. Then, I do one of two things:

1) Toss it in one of the two change buckets we keep at the house, or

2) If I am traveling I toss it ion the front pouch of my wheeled computer bag.

I usually have a couple of dollars in the computer bag, the change buckets get emptied every year or so.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

What change I do accumulate, I put in the car's cup holder. Comes in handy for parking or odd small purchases. The use of a debit card has reduced a lot of my accumulated change.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

You Americans don't know what real change is. Try carrying a several two dollar coins and dollar coins along with the rest.
Richard
Gene

Post by Gene »

rustyblade wrote:You Americans don't know what real change is. Try carrying a several two dollar coins and dollar coins along with the rest.
I know what you call them, too! I have some of them somewhere, left over from my last trip to Montreal.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

rustyblade wrote:You Americans don't know what real change is. Try carrying a several two dollar coins and dollar coins along with the rest.
Try carrying pound coins -- they are way heavier than loonies or toonies. I always end up with pockets full of them when we are in the UK.
Wendell

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

jww wrote:
Try carrying pound coins -- they are way heavier than loonies or toonies. I always end up with pockets full of them when we are in the UK.
True. I don't mind carrying the extra change around though. I would rather carry one and two dollar coins in my pocket than a wallet full of tatty one and two dollar bills. I wouldn't mind a five dollar coin as well. Coins can circulate nearly forever versus bills, so it does make sense.
Richard
river1

Post by river1 »

I use a Zip lock bag and keep it in the side pocket of the car. When I go into a store where change may be needed I put it I n my pocket. Either the bag or a few coins. Sometimes it is easier to give the bag to the retail cashier and let them get what is needed. Works like a charm and the stores appreciate getting the change.
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's mine. These gizmos last years before they deteriorate and need to be replaced. My dad used one and when I got to be about 8 or 10 I started carrying these. They're cheap and plentiful. And they work!

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444