Kent Hair Combs

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
rickshah

Kent Hair Combs

Post by rickshah »

Hey Folks,

A few weeks ago I purchased a small Kent hair comb. Honestly I was more curious about the Kent combs than anything else, I didn't actually expect it to perform any differently than a 99 cent comb you could purchase at the corner drug store. In this case though, I was pleasantly surprised. The comb feels substantial in the hand, and more importantly it glides effortlessly and comfortably through my hair, every time. Maybe it has something to do with the way the teeth are polished, but I'm finding that the Kent never seems to 'catch' on my hair or scalp the way cheapie drug store combs do.

All-in-all, I'm pretty happy with my $8 purchase.

Thanks,
Rick
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

Rick,

I'm on my second moustache comb from Kent. They're quite useful and the hand ground edges on the teeth allow it to glide smoothly through the thickest hair.

I'm on my second one because I keep losing them, and I finally gave up looking for the first this time. (It's only about 3 inches long and keeps popping out of my pocket.)

I agree, Great combs!
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I consider myself fortunate that I haven't had to use a comb -- well ever, actually. You see, I have a mass of curly/wavy hair that never responded well to combs -- or brushes for that matter. As I have <<ahem>> matured in years, I have worn my hair relatively short - which is tamed quite easily by running my fingers through my scalp. Makes it easy that I don't have to worry about stashing a comb or brush in my kit bag when traveling.

I do admit that I own a medium sized skeleton brush which gets to go through my hair after every shower at home - just because.

My dad used a high-end comb - but I can't recall what make it was. He picked it up from his favourite barber when I was about 8 years old or so -- and he used if faithfully until he passed away. He washed it by hand once a week to keep it clean. Fastidious, was my father. Even as a life-long factory worker, he always looked good.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Nothing better than pulling out a quality comb to straighten yourself out a little. My current Kent pocket comb has been with me for several years and been a great companion.

A great investment in my mind.
Good shaving,

Gary
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, I have a Kent comb as well and it is a fine product. I keep it for at-home use as no one stocks them locally and therefore I'm not wishing to lose or break it. On my person I carry the classic Ace pocket comb.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

On my person I carry the classic Ace pocket comb.
to quell the c cat, can you tell the difference between the ace and the kent? Rick seemed to think that there was a nice difference between his kent and a lesser(?) version.

i dont use a comb but if there is a difference a kent comb could make for a nice gift

thanks in advance

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've had my Kent #64 for years. That's the longer home version, but if I used a pocket comb I'd stick with the brand; there's just no comparison. Quality is tops, and it plows through tangles without a stumble.
Ron
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

My son's family got me a small Kent pocket comb for Christmas. Very nice! Looks good and feels good in my hair. Have wanted one for a very long time; a wonderful surprise!
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

I have a large size Kent that I use daily at home, and a small pocket version that's kept in my glove compartment in car. Nice combs! I especially like the fact the pocket comb comes in a nice leather sleeve (at least mine did), a nice touch, should be the norm for all good combs.

I can also recommend the Kent hairbrushes, I have a black-bristle military model, I don't use it daily, but think it's great when I use it. 8)
Last edited by i_shaved_something on Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I have three Kent combs, a 9T my shave den, a 6T in our upstairs bathroom and a 7T in my shave kit. They are the best combs that I've ever used and last for many years.
Cheers,

Craig
i_shaved_something

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:...and last for many years.
Do they wear out eventually? I never thought about life span of a comb, esp one made of hard material. I assumed they'd last forever...
Rob
Craig_From_Cincy

i_shaved_something wrote:
Craig_From_Cincy wrote:...and last for many years.
Do they wear out eventually? I never thought about life span of a comb, esp one made of hard material. I assumed they'd last forever...
The cheapie combs that I've had in the past start losing teeth after a while, but my Kent's have kept all of theirs.
Cheers,

Craig
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I see that Kent is now using number/letter model designations instead of just numbers. My #64 is circa late '80s/early '90s, so they do last. Which pocket combs are you guys using?
http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopdisplayp ... l&sppp=100
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, It depends on exactly what you mean. Both the Kent and the Ace combs effectively do their jobs and in my experiance both hold up very well. There are plenty of 'cheap' combs around but I do not put the Ace in that catagory. It remains a good basic product, kind of like Parker T Ball jotter ball point pens. The Kent comb feels different however. Because of it's more rounded teeth it DOES just glide through the hair...very smooth.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

it DOES just glide through the hair...very smooth.
Ok, question answered :lol: :lol: :lol:

many thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
i_shaved_something

rsp1202 wrote:I see that Kent is now using number/letter model designations instead of just numbers. My #64 is circa late '80s/early '90s, so they do last. Which pocket combs are you guys using?
http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopdisplayp ... l&sppp=100
The 'NU 22 CASE' is the one I have.
Rob
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

All this talk made me realize I shouldn't have to put up with a scratch comb that's starting to lose it's teeth.

My 8" Coarse/Fine 9T Kent came in the mail today.
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
i_shaved_something

funkthulhu wrote:All this talk made me realize I shouldn't have to put up with a scratch comb that's starting to lose it's teeth.

That's the spirit 8)
Rob
Craig_From_Cincy

funkthulhu wrote:All this talk made me realize I shouldn't have to put up with a scratch comb that's starting to lose it's teeth.

Congrats Erik, let us know how you like it.
Cheers,

Craig
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

May we hear of some US vendors, money order friendly?