Penhaligons has broken my lavender heart

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
never2close

Penhaligons has broken my lavender heart

Post by never2close »

I just received Penhaligons' announcement about their final two fragrances in the Anthology Series, and Esprit de Lavande was not mentioned.
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Sh!t.

Then again maybe it's a good thing, since I almost certainly would have forked over the big bucks for this one.
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Really!? That's strange as it was, IMO, the best of the entire original series. What a shame. What are going to be the final two?
Regards,
Gordon
never2close

Post by never2close »

bernards66 wrote:Really!? That's strange as it was, IMO, the best of the entire original series. What a shame. What are going to be the final two?
Regards,
Gordon
Esprit do Roi, and Eau Sans Pareil.
Craig_From_Cincy

I would like to know more about Esprit do Roi, Pen's website is rather lacking in detail regarding this scent. Is anyone familiar with it?
Cheers,

Craig
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Craig_From_Cincy

From Pen's website:
Originally created in 1983, Esprit du Roi returns as a lush woody citrus, heady with swirling scented foliage. Fresh tomato leaf, mint and raspberry leaf are combined with rich florals, warm woods and potent musks to create this masterpiece of contrasts.
Sounds like a modern scent that has been further modernized. Pass.
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, It was/is. And so was the other one. I just can't see this at all, personally. I had both those scents in the original forms and wound up unloading both of them. With the Espirit de Lavende I was hunting down the last available sample vials....sigh.
Regards,
Gordon
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

This is odd. I was under the impression that this was supposed to be re-released as well. I was unsure of the time though.
Regards,
Jani
never2close

Post by never2close »

Aztecface wrote:This is odd. I was under the impression that this was supposed to be re-released as well. I was unsure of the time though.
According to Penhaligons the time has come, and regrettably now passed.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

It's just incredible! Out of all those discontinued scents, the only ONE they choose not to re-release is the best of the whole lot. I still can't believe it.
Regards,
Gordon
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

bernards66 wrote:It's just incredible! Out of all those discontinued scents, the only ONE they choose not to re-release is the best of the whole lot. I still can't believe it.
Regards,
Gordon
I'm calling the Gordon curse, everything you like is doomed it seems :).

I hope this one still comes to fruition, who's to say there can't be an Anthology II? If first round is successful can bet there will be more. How many discontinued Pen's scents are there that could possibly reborn? Do they have a lot of old ones?

At least I still have my Eau de Verveine, never tried the original but the re-offer from the new series is still one of my favorites.
Rob
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Rob, Who knows? The Espirite de Lavende is the only one that apparently is not going to be re-released from their 'English Classics' line, which was sold in the '90s and early 2000s. But beyond that? Sheila Pickles got all of the still existing formula and day books in William Penhaligon's own hand when she bought the name from T&H in the 1970s. Exactly whatall is in those books VERY few people have ever seen. One time on eBay there was offered a bottle of Penhaligon's aftershave that I guess was from the '30s or '40s based on the address on the label that I know has never been offered since Pickles bought the firm. How many more scent formulas like that may be in those old formula books is anyone's guess. Penhaligon's is now, ultimately, owned by a SF based holding company and I've no idea who actually has those old books in their possession today.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

All of us interested in the return of Espirite de Lavende should write Penhaligon's and let them know of our desire for this scent. Seriously, how else does a firm know that there is demand for bringing back a discontinued product unless consumers let them know tha they want to buy it? If you are interested in writting Penhaligon's, send a polite email respectfully asking for the return of Espirite de Lavende to:

Brian Kurtz
Sales & Marketing Director, Penhaligon's USA
bkurtz@penhaligons.com

I'm writing, who is with me?
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, Well, that's right and anyone interested SHOULD write them, as you say, how else would they know? For me, while I would really like to see them bring it back ( in it's original form, NOT reformulated ) it wouldn't be right for me to write them because, in truth, I wouldn't be personally willing to spend what they now charge even if the did bring it back. But for anyone who would, by all means drop them a line. Who knows?...it might make the difference.
Regards,
Gordon
never2close

Post by never2close »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:All of us interested in the return of Espirite de Lavende should write Penhaligon's and let them know of our desire for this scent. Seriously, how else does a firm know that there is demand for bringing back a discontinued product unless consumers let them know tha they want to buy it? If you are interested in writting Penhaligon's, send a polite email respectfully asking for the return of Espirite de Lavende to:

Brian Kurtz
Sales & Marketing Director, Penhaligon's USA
bkurtz@penhaligons.com

I'm writing, who is with me?
I have thrown my considerable weight behind your effort. I have so little to live for and the exclusion of Esprit de Lavande has forced me to reconsider my golden years. Gods speed with your campaign.
never2close

Post by never2close »

I received a response from Brian Kurtz and it is official, no Esprit de Lavande in the foreseeable future. It is a cruel cruel world we live in............
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

You know... there are other great Lavender's out there.
Regards,
Jani
never2close

Post by never2close »

I am seriously screwed. Determined to smell Esprit de Lavande I found a 2 ml sample for sale. It arrived today and it is quite nice. Now what do I do?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Enjoy the sample while you can? Seriously, what else can you do? Despite what some may try and tell you, Penhaligon's Espirit de Lavande was unique...there is no other lavender water around that is that similiar to it. It was my favourite of all the lavender waters I've ever tried. The original Yardley Lavender for Gentlemen was also excellent, but quite light and I never got to try the old lavender water that many years ago Floris specifically made for men. Hell, at least you got to try it.
Regards,
Gordon