Matress Recommendations Please

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
stagger

Matress Recommendations Please

Post by stagger »

We are in the market for a new matress. Need one that'll stand up to the abuse of a couple heavyweights, lol. Thanks in advance for any recommendations y'all can give.
Mark
Regards,
Mark -
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I liked the Stearns & Foster (owned by Sealy) I had; standard innerspring type with plenty of different comfort levels to choose from, and very well built. Never cared for the foam, etc., space-age stuff that's being sold nowadays.

Now, if you ever need a referral for a good sofa that sleeps well, give a holler. I've spent lots of time on those. <Clive chuckle>
Ron
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

chuckle??? rotfl is more like it :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

We are a Simmons Beautyrest family. All our beds are Beautyrests and we are very, very happy with them. We did buy one springair which has since left our home with our middle son. It's a good bed, but not, in my opinion, near as comfortable as the Simmons is.

We always buy firm, BTW -- extra-firm is brutal.

Wherever you buy make sure they have a return/exchange policy - because you cannot tell how good a bed is in a store -- you have to sleep on it for a few nights to determine that.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

honestly..if you want true comfort and control...SleepNumber...my parents have had theirs for over 10yrs..everything is covered under 20yr warranty..me n my wife have had ours for 3-4yrs..never had an issue..5-100 are the setting..5 being very soft..100 being very stiff..then you can go up n down with the 2 types of remotes..wired and wireless..these aernt cheap but not much more than a pricey non adjustable mattress when compared I would say

ST
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I'll never buy anything but a Tempur-Pedic mattress again.
Cheers,

Craig
malocchio

safety

Post by malocchio »

here in california all mattresses are sprayed with a toxic fire retardant...the outgasses from the retardant are inhaled by you everytime you sleep....I bought a nice talalay organic pure rubber mattress.it is covered in a blend of organic cotton and wool...wool will not ignite ,only slowly smolder,so it makes the mattress exempt from the toxic fire retardant....the pure rubber is great to sleep on,comes in different levels of support and will last 20-30 years....I have had back problems for awhile,and this mattress really helped me...the average non organic king size mattress has an average of 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. of retardant sprayed on it,this was a big push by the petro-chemical giants to pass the law here ...many pockets were "lined"...an alternate organic mattress would be a dunlop....
OldSaw

Post by OldSaw »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:I'll never buy anything but a Tempur-Pedic mattress again.
We just got one of these recently and so far I love it. Then again, I am rather a light weight.

I hear Tempurpedic may not be optimal for heavier types. The Sleep Number seems to rank pretty high in that demographic. Find a hotel that has a Sleep Number bed and spend the night on it.
Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather

Dennis
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

Tempur-Pedic or the sleep member are the best beds hands down
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

We had a Stearnes and Foster, loved it, and when daughter got an apartment, we got her a new bedroom suite, in queen, and gave her ourr Stearnes and Foster which was then 8 years old. We got a Tempur Pedic to replace it as we had used the Tempur foam topper for a few years. Got the CLOUD bed and love it, although to be honest, the lower priced regular bed would have been just as well and you could use the foam topper on that even and come out cheaper.

One place has a combo tempur one side, sleep number on the other half.

I like the idea of finding a hotel with Sleep Number and spending the night to test it out, great idea.
Last edited by Sam on Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

Not sure of your geography, or all of the locations for their stores, but my last 3 mattresses have been from Denver Mattress Company. http://www.furniturerow.com/DenverMattressCo/

I've been through 3 in about 10 years only because my Ex kept one, I got another Full for myself, and then I upgraded to a Queen. Got the "Doctor's Choice" about 5 years ago and haven't had any problems yet. Best of all, they're about as inexpensive as you can get.

For the record, I'm tipping the scales at over 320.
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:I'll never buy anything but a Tempur-Pedic mattress again.
+1
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

changabang

Post by changabang »

I just found out today my neighbor sleeps on a Tempur Pedic he paid four grrr for. That's ridiculously out of my league. I'm living with, but not entirely satisfied with, my four hundred $$ Beautyrest. Formerly I slept on a latex foam mattress that developed a furrow in the middle and was way too hot to sleep on in the summer.
James Nicks
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Forgot to mention -- you probably want a new box spring as well.

I have two issues with TempurPedic matresses:
1. They are way too warm for me.
2. I feel like I am being swallowed up - and can't get the notion of drowning in foam out of my head.
3. The scent of the product gives me a sinus headache.

Yes -- seriously. I have slept on TP twice -- and have found both times that I simply can't sleep soundly because of these issues. Silly, I know, but there you have it.

We don't buy cheap beds pre se --- our BeautyRests are typically around the $2K price point per set.
Wendell

OldSaw

Post by OldSaw »

jww wrote:Forgot to mention -- you probably want a new box spring as well.

I have two issues with TempurPedic matresses:
1. They are way too warm for me.
2. I feel like I am being swallowed up - and can't get the notion of drowning in foam out of my head.
3. The scent of the product gives me a sinus headache.

Yes -- seriously. I have slept on TP twice -- and have found both times that I simply can't sleep soundly because of these issues. Silly, I know, but there you have it.

We don't buy cheap beds pre se --- our BeautyRests are typically around the $2K price point per set.
Because of those concerns, I believe that is why they have a 90 day satisfaction guarantee. While they are the most popular mattress, they're not for everyone. I only paid around $2000 for mine, complete with foundation and frame. I found the thicker more expensive ones to be too soft and gave me some of the above symptoms. The scent has not bothered me and I was expecting it to.
Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather

Dennis
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

wendall when i first sleep in a TempurPedic type bed..

i experierced the same things you stated in your posts too..

the warmth and the feeling of being smothered by foam soon went away.

as did the scent of the new bed...

then i found sleep heaven...

if just a adjustment period, and it doesnt take long for these issues to pass
marc
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Dennis has an excellent idea in trying before buying.

My now-wife has a queen-size Sleep Number bed. I slept on the "slab" side, she slept on the "marshmallow" side. All great -- except for the canyon between the two halves. I didn't find it conducive to cuddling in any form (gah, I can't believe I'm writing that in an Internet forum). Anyway, if you think the two of you will prefer wildly different settings, you might want to try that out first. Our SN bed has been relegated to the guest room. Our "regular" mattress is a Sealy futon mattress (platform bed/adjustable birch slats).

Another source of good mattresses for not a lot of money is IKEA. They have a variety of mattress types and price ranges. You might have to add the cost of delivery and disposal of your old mattress (often bundled in to other stores' prices), but it can be a good deal.

Here's a Web site I found enlightening, if not the final word: http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

marsos52 wrote:wendall when i first sleep in a TempurPedic type bed..

i experierced the same things you stated in your posts too..

the warmth and the feeling of being smothered by foam soon went away.

as did the scent of the new bed...

then i found sleep heaven...

if just a adjustment period, and it doesnt take long for these issues to pass
marc
There is some talk that the odors may even be toxic or be the source of respiratory problems for some folk. Given my history of trouble with bronchitis I don't think I even want to go there.

I have found sleep nirvana with our BeautyRests though.
Wendell

Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

If you have not figured out by reading these posts, like a de blade beds are really a YMMV item. The TempurPedic bed is a great example, people seem to love 'em or hate 'em (I am firmly in the hate 'em camp). Never mind the myriad of options that are available on beds these days.

Here are a few things you may want to consider:

- Do yourself a favor and get a box spring. Make sure it is a real box spring and not a "foundation" that is just a hollow box. It makes a difference in comfort and the wear of your bed.

- Spend as much time on it as you can. Lay down, bounce, roll, whatever. It may be hard to get a feel in the store, but you do not want to get something that you will end up not liking because you only sat on the edge in the store.

- When you try it in the store, listen to it. If it makes all kinds of noise you can image how it will be to sleep on. It is also a good indicator of cheap inner workings.

- Sleep on it trials sound good in theory, but there is a down side. Where do you think the beds that get sent back end up? They are resold as new. I do not like the idea paying full price for a bed someone else slept on and did who knows what else to for up to 90 days. This is not speculation by the way.

- See if there are any local/regional producers and then try to find out as much about them as you can. These often produce some of the best quality beds.

- Having said that, the national brands (Simmons, Sealy, Sterns and Foster) tend to produce some pretty good stuff and are widely available. I would avoid Serta though as they were purchased a few years back. Quality and customer service have both tanked since then.

- Understand what the warranties really mean. Take some time to read the fine print, as many are pro-rated and have specific limitations.

- As with most things, expensive does not mean better. The “top of the line” may just have a bunch of bells and whistles, but really not add a lot to the quality and personal comfort you experience.

- Know what you like, soft or firm. Understand soft beds will get softer and leave body impressions the longer you have them. They “conform” to your body which is a fancy way of saying you will sink in a bit. I happen to like this and it is comfortable to me. Firm beds will not really get softer, so don’t expect them to soften up.

- Get the best you can afford. I believe you spend a lot of time on a bed so this is not the place to cut corners.

I know this does not give you a specific recommendation to buy a particular type, but since YMMV it would not really help you. I hope this helps and good luck.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I choose a mattress by saying bounce on it Sweetie and pick out the one you like.
Regards,
Squire