Lather: fact and fiction

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
malocchio

both

Post by malocchio »

I have had great shaves with creams and a few soaps that did not produce a huge volume of lather or did produce a big cloud but very airy,and I still got a great shave.this is because they had good beard lubrication and did not dry out,they did their job and that's what it's all about. if the end result is a good,smooth zero problem shave,then the volume of the lather is irrevelant...
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I don't normally use lather to shave, but when I do I need the extra protection I get by using my brush to rub the cake for a very long time until I could make a barrel full of wet lather. Then I just rub it out on a wet face and make a thick, not voluminous lather. That give me the protection I need because I am not a careful shaver any more. It will not let me get a really close shave, so I add water to do the polishing. That's when I get my nicks. Normally, as I have stated many times here, I grease my face with
Vaseline and then rub in brushless shave cream. You can't see that there is anything on my face, but it lets me shave very carelessly and not nick myself. I never shave wtg, just shave atg and Xtg, then I polish--all the while adding no more Vaseline or brushless. After a rinse I don't need balm or aftershave but I use them anyway cause I like the smell.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sounds like a good thorough plan Pete. It's obviously working well for you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Quarterstick wrote:It is at 8:16. :lol:
Great!
Eric
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think the manufacturers of the canned shaving cream are responsible for perpetuating the image of a guy with half a can piled on his face. That doesn't mean I don't prefer it, not for any reason I can defend, except that it looks and feels "right" somehow. I'm probably just brainwashed, but I love it!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
OldSaw

Post by OldSaw »

brothers wrote:I think the manufacturers of the canned shaving cream are responsible for perpetuating the image of a guy with half a can piled on his face. That doesn't mean I don't prefer it, not for any reason I can defend, except that it looks and feels "right" somehow. I'm probably just brainwashed, but I love it!
Nothing wrong with "feels right". That's kind of what we're all after I think.
Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather

Dennis
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

Form follows function.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Reminds me of those instructions on the shampoo bottle stating that after shampooing we should lather up again. The more we use the more they sell, they must think we're all a bunch of lemmings.
Regards,
Squire
mikey

Post by mikey »

So, I've been lathering wrong all these years???

AxelH

Post by AxelH »

Not if you suffer from lycanthropy!
Lover of cold, hard steel.
harper

Post by harper »

How much lather is enough? Who knows? The purpose of lather is to lubricate the skin and permit the razor to cut whiskers and not skin.How much is too much? I don't think less is more applies here but that is subjective. I tend to use less but it is not more, it just seems to work better for me but may not for you.
brothers

Re:

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:Reminds me of those instructions on the shampoo bottle stating that after shampooing we should lather up again. The more we use the more they sell, they must think we're all a bunch of lemmings.
Most of us are, and a lot of folks have, are, and will be making a very nice living because of it. I just wish I could figure out what'd be a best seller that I could provide to all of the eager customers!
Gary