Switched from cartridge to DE, and never going back!

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Dapper Dad

Switched from cartridge to DE, and never going back!

Post by Dapper Dad »

Let me start off by saying that it is a priviledge to be posting with you gentlemen. I have been lurking/practicing for three weeks and without this forum I can certainly say I would not be wetshaving with a DE razor.

It has without a doubt changed my quality of life. Any fellow newbies reading this should take the plunge. Odds are you will be glad you did.

I am not your typical target market for this type of shaving. I have 2 daughters still in diapers at home. I work 50 hours a week and my wife has a similar schedule. Time and sleep are at a premium. I previously shaved everyday, as fast as possible. I do a lot of chores everyday as fast as possible. It's not always fun, but that's life. I'm young enough that I was taught and grew up on cartridge style razors. In short I didn't know what I was missing.

For myself, making the switch has turned an everyday chore into a luxury. I could see it quickly progressing to a hobby. Now shaving is something nice that I do for myself that sets the tone for the entire day.
Think of it as breakfast for your face. :D

I want to add that in an odd roll reversal, I'm trying to bring my own Dad back into the fold of DE razors. He learned on one at a young age, but has yet to be enlightened.

Looking forward to future conversations with you all.

-Eric
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Welcome aboard Eric, enjoyed your post, look forward to reading more.
Regards,
Squire
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

Thanks for the welcome Squire!

Thank you also for your blade research, it was very helpful. I am currently working through a variety pack that includes Sharks, Derby, 7 O'clock's, and Feathers.

I'll be working on my technique before I try out (your favorite) Feathers.

I've got the bug I'm afraid, after one week of reading I've already purchased the Razor Rock XXX based on the SMF buzz. Had my first shave with it today coupled with a Derby. Quite enjoyable. It will be a nice alternate for the Proraso. I can see my tendencies leaning towards the menthol as my journey continues.

I just want to say that I appreciate how you commonly give creedence to products even though they are more common and inexpensive (Shark, Proraso). It makes it less daunting for us rookies. Trumper's skin food sounds awesome, but it would be foolish for me to purchase that in month number one (well at least my wife would think so) .
:lol:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Regarding wives and shaving stuff I follow the one/one rule; I buy something and she gets something, usually works out.
Regards,
Squire
werdna

Post by werdna »

Dapper Dad wrote: I'll be working on my technique before I try out (your favorite) Feathers.
Certainly work on technique but my only regret thus far is avoiding the Feather blades due to all the talk of how sharp they are. I was thinking I had to wait for some zen like state of masterful shaving before trying them. They are just very good blades. If you aren't nicking yourself with the blades you are using no reason not to try one out.

I wish I'd have tried them sooner than I did.

-Andrew
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Welcome to SMF, Eric. With two Young Ones I appreciate exactly where you are coming from. And it's not the worst hobby in the world.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

I'll take that to heart Andrew. It's still just a blade right? Since I'm still playing the field with blades I plan to shave twice with each blade and then move on to the next.

The plan is Shark - Derby -7 O'Clock - Feather. Had my first Derby shave today so that means I'll be on Feathers within a week. So far both the Derby and Shark have done well. I give a slight nod to the Derby which seemed to cut down the beard a little better. No complaints either way though.

Never thought I'd be looking forward to future shaves. It's great!
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

Agreed Chris. DE shaving is "not the worst hobby," and being a Dad is easily the BEST hobby!
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

welcome here dapper dad

many of us here have been shaving with DE and/or straights for decades

i have been a de shaver since the mid 70's

a lot of experiece here to be had

enjoy yourself
marc
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Welcome to SMF Eric!
Cheers,

Craig
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

Thank you Marc! I certainly respect that experience. I am outgoing in nature, but plan to use my ears quite a bit. I'm reminded of the old saying, "there are those who know, and know they know....listen!"

If I'm lucky a member will have a question about an off topic that I have some experience with and I can return the favor.

Thank you for the kind welcome.
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

Hello Craig!

I've been reading the forum for a few weeks to educate myself. I've enjoyed it so much that (despite having no experience) I realized that I wanted to participate and start posting.

With that in mind I liked how you handled the "guest" that was selling some kind of rose soap from Belgium. I'm a big IU basketball fan and it reminded me of fake fans that come to a forum and essentially try to undermine the integrity of the site.

I'm no expert in DE shaving, but I am an expert in Hoosier basketball. I take a similar stern stance with schills. Tip of the cap to you on that.

On the other side of the coin, my wife wants to have a word with you because you've got me thinking that it makes sense to buy a $65 bottle of Trumper's Skin Food after 2 weeks using a DE razor. :wink:
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

First off, welcome to SMF! Secondly, glad to have you on board and able to share the positive experience that DE shaving provides.
I've been DE & SE shaving since 1965 and since you're new to it, I can tell you it only gets better.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

desertbadger wrote:First off, welcome to SMF! Secondly, glad to have you on board and able to share the positive experience that DE shaving provides.
I've been DE & SE shaving since 1965 and since you're new to it, I can tell you it only gets better.

Regards,
David
Thank you David! What did you start on in 1965?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Welcome to smf, Eric. Looking forward to seeing more of you here on the forum and hearing what the wifee thinks of the next visa bill :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Eric I suggest you try some samples of skin food or aftershave balm before springing for a whole bottle. If you make a post in the Selling & Trading Forum the members may be able to help you out with that.
Regards,
Squire
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Dapper Dad wrote:
desertbadger wrote:First off, welcome to SMF! Secondly, glad to have you on board and able to share the positive experience that DE shaving provides.

Regards,
David
Thank you David! What did you start on in 1965?
Hi, Eric! Started with a Schick Injector, L model. A short time later, I added a model J1 Injector. A couple of months after that, an uncle gifted me a brand new 49' Gillette Super Speed DE. Since then, I've never looked back.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

Squire wrote:Eric I suggest you try some samples of skin food or aftershave balm before springing for a whole bottle. If you make a post in the Selling & Trading Forum the members may be able to help you out with that.
Thanks Squire that's one part of the forum I haven't really checked out yet.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's where we swap stuff among each other, Shopping is for vendors.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Dapper Dad, and welcome among us. :lol: I've found this to be an excellent place to go to get "away" for a few peaceful and informative moments. I've always felt welcome here, and it is my hope that you and others will feel that way too.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444