Switched from cartridge to DE, and never going back!

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

David, your 49' Gillette looks a lot like the Parker 99R I'm using. Granted that is to an untrained eye.
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

brothers wrote:Hi Dapper Dad, and welcome among us. :lol: I've found this to be an excellent place to go to get "away" for a few peaceful and informative moments. I've always felt welcome here, and it is my hope that you and others will feel that way too.
Thank you for the welcome. Just from reading I felt that vibe too. Most of the frequent posters all appear to be guys who I could tip a few with.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Eric, Welcome, and there you go ("...now looking forward to shaving..." )....that's why we're here you see. Glad you stumbled upon us.
Regards,
Gordon
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Welcome aboard Eric. I too would have never discovered the world of
traditional shaving were it not for this forum. Variety of equipment coupled with consistency of purpose is, for me, the main draw. Indeed,
an activity to be looked forward to. 8)
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

Many of you have known for years what I'm just discovering! I told my wife this afternoon that I was "going to enjoy my shave when (my daughter) took her nap." A month ago that would have been like saying, "I'm going to enjoy cutting my toenails dear!"

The train is moving fast...already plotting a "shave cave" for the humble basement bathroom. I even took my new setup to the gym. Back when I used cartridge style razors (oh so long ago :wink: ) I got a much better shave after lathering up in the steam room. Didn't notice that much of a difference with the DE, probably because it isn't shaving below the surface of my skin.

At 5 o'clock I'll try my first 7 o' clock! I'm starting to babble, but that's excitement for you. Also I must say that aftershave IS a big part of the experience. I had never worn aftershave before, but enjoy it now. I wouldn't have given the AS component any thought if not for this forum. Thanks again!
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Welcome aboard.

There are many paths that lead to the perfect shave.

Enjoy.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome, Eric! It's always gratifying to see younger men embracing traditional wetshaving, though I think what is practiced here would more accurately be described as enhanced traditional wetshaving.

I, too, started shaving in the 1960s when the choices were a Schick Injector or a Gillette double-edge. I started with the former and later used the latter, even using a brush and soap or cream. I eventually strayed into other tools and methods, but twin-bladed cartridge systems (Gillette Atra and Schick Tracer) were my limit.

My idea of a shave before finding my way here was that it be as simple and quick a task as possible. I only did one pass, with perhaps a bit of touch-up, and I gave it no more thought. This forum is where I was introduced to the concept of a skilled, well-executed shave. I finally learned how to make good lather and I learned how to get the most out of a double-edge razor.

In terms of bringing your father back into the fold, he may not be interested if he just wants a simple shave. I find, however, that a razor with a single blade, wielded with skill and attention, enables me to get the best shave.

Note that we do have members who have found that cartridge razors still work best for them, as one remains free to blend both modern and traditional elements in his shave if he so desires.

- Murray
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

Hello Murray!

"Enhanced" is the perfect way to describe the experience. I will use that as I try to convince family members and coworkers. In our fast past world the "slow play" is surprisingly one of the best pitches.
I tell them to just buy a badger brush and some shaving soap if a DE razor sounds too intimidating right now. For about $20 they can "enhance" something they do everyday with no major changes.

You would be surprised how many crazy looks I get from men that are on average 20 years my senior. I often get, "that's what my Dad used." Somewhere along the line the experience was lost.
Perhaps a good analogy would be the coffee industry in the United States. We had coffee that woke you up in the morning, but nothing one would describe as an experience until higher end espresso drinks hit American pallets. Anyway a brush and some Proraso soap is similar to ordering a latte at a coffee shop. Better than Folgers instant, but doesn't require you to roast, grind, and brew your short pull espresso just yet.

Rambling again...but I very much appreciate the warm welcomes and perspectives. It would be easy to tease the new pup, but everyone has been engaging and respectful. For the record though, teasing is okay.
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Welcome aboard, Eric. Enjoy the reading and do not hesitate to add your own experiences and thoughts.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

A belated welcome, I didn't visit the forum all this past weekend (the horror). There's much experience and advice here offered in a gentlemanly way. Visit often.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

Hello Tony and Jason! I find myself checking out the forum whenever there's a break in my work (and sometimes even when there isn't).

In other rookie news, had my best shave so far this morning using the XXX Razor Rock and a 7 O' Clock blade. Spent more time making the lather and used the XTG method for under my nose on the 2nd pass. That's the way to go for me. The 7's were noticeabley better than the Sharks and Derby's (for me). Can the Feathers be that much better? We wil soon see. I'm starting to understand why more experienced members are passionate about brushes.

If any Newbies are still reading my drivel...take about twice as long as you think you need to lather. It feels luxurious and you will get a much better shave. Anticipating the shave I was going too fast. Happens to a lot of guys their first time. :wink:
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

Welcome aboard! You enthusiasm is shared here.
Dapper Dad wrote:If any Newbies are still reading my drivel...take about twice as long as you think you need to lather. It feels luxurious and you will get a much better shave. Anticipating the shave I was going too fast. Happens to a lot of guys their first time. :wink:
I think you may have hit on a theme that I have found to be one of the interesting ironies of wet shaving with a DE. By it's nature it is meant to slow you down and focus on the process. However, there are so many options and things to try that it is easy to get carried away and rush to try something else. I would recommend taking a deep breath and slowing down a bit. I find it hard to get a feel for a blade brand with just a few shaves. I go through about 5 blades, number of shaves varies depending on how quickly they give up their edge, before I move on (unless it is clearly a bad shaver for me). I am in month 5 and have only tried 5 types of blade so far. If you are also changing creams, brushes, and razors, it is difficult to get a handle on what is affecting the quality of your shave.

Of course this is only my opinion and what works for me. The bigger recommendation would be do what works for you and makes you happy.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

Quarterstick - No need for the disclaimer, it's good advice and I appreciate it. I plan to use up every 5 pack of blades before I decide on a 100 count of my favorite/favorites. Can't help but one "quick pass" though.

That said, I'm not seeking one shave to discover for the rest of my life. A little variety is appealing to me.
merkri

Post by merkri »

Another belated welcome!

I think your earlier coffee analogy is exactly right...one of life's everyday accessible luxuries that many people forgot about.