Leather travel pouches

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
DavidB

Leather travel pouches

Post by DavidB »

I got a leather travel pouch from ClassicShaving and am wondering if you guys have to remove the blade when you put the razor in it. I assumed it was possible to leave the blade in, at least it looked as though it would be. But I stuck my Super Speed in there with the blade in it and felt it snag as I pulled the flap over. So if I travel with the SS razor, I guess I'm going to have to use the blade there and chuck it when I return.

Maybe it depends on the razor profile and how much blade sticks out.

Of course, I could just use the Bic Metal, but I am getting attached to the DE's!

Dave
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Dave I have been contemplating getting one for my Gillette Adjustable but wonder how it'll fit. How is the fit for your SS?

Erik
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Dave,

Since it is a leather pouch, it may need a bit of "stretching", or breaking in to safely accomodate the razor with the blade installed.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Erik, the pouch fits my Super Speed perfectly. It also fits a Merkur HD just fine. The flap snags on the blade in both however. Probably doesn't damage the blade, but the inside of the pouch would be is sad shape after a while.

On closer inspection, it looks and feels more like a leather-ette type of material. Leather shouldn't snag the way this stuff does.

Dave
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i use the QED pouch for the vision i got from QED. it fits perfectly and no, i do not remove the blade.

sam
dubes

Post by dubes »

My experience has been that the safety bars/comb/guard (choose your term of choice) of the razor head are making contact with the leather and not the razor blade itself, which, because of the angle of the head, is set back a tad from the safety bar.

Mike
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Mike, visually, it looks like the flap shouldn't contact the razor. But each time I unsnap the flap and open the thing up, I feel it snag on the blade and see where it scrapes a spot on the "leather" (maybe 1mm dia.).

Sam, my pouch looks exactly like the QED pouch, though mine is not for a Futur, but smaller sized for the standard Merkur. Hard to imagine how I can use an idiot-proof product and still have problems with it... though I guess I've answered my own question.

I'm less worried about the pouch than I am about what it does to the edge of the blade. If I feel anything -- be it a leather flap, a washcloth or whatever -- snagging on the edge of my razor blade, darned if I'm going to want to shave with that blade again.

Dave
Last edited by DavidB on Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dubes

Post by dubes »

DavidB wrote:I'm less worried about the pouch than I am about what it does to the edge of the blade. If I feel anything -- be it a leather flap, a washcloth or whatever -- snagging on the edge of my razor blade, darned if I'm going to want to shave with that blade again.

Dave
Dave, I definitely agree with you on that point. I have a slightly different pouch than the sheaths--mine has a pocket on the front to hold a pack of blades--but the principle is the same: a leather flap covers the razor head and snaps onto the front. (I got it from Em's Place; it's about midway down the page on the left side.) I had convinced myself that the leather wasn't abrading the razor's edge, but I think I'll check it again when I get home. No worries about dulling the blade; I change 'em on Saturday.

Mike