My first earthquake

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

My first earthquake

Post by Kyle76 »

I'm 57, but I live on the east coast, so I've never experienced an earthquake. It wasn't much. In fact, I didn't even give it much thought until my wife called about some weirdness at home. It really just felt like the floor slightly shaking from someone walking nearby.
Jim
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Jim,

We caught a bit of a rumble in the Charlotte area.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
malocchio

lucky guys

Post by malocchio »

I have lived in the san francisco bay area 62 years,I cannot remember how many quakes I have been lucky enough to live through...in 1989 I saw our freeways,once the best in the world,crumble like paper cards,no warnings for earthquakes,you take them as they come...my house has cracks inside and out,repaired a dozen times over the years,the cement steps outside have seperated 3 inches since 1978...I hate being in quakes,but if you live in northern calif. you will go through many..
Gene

Re: lucky guys

Post by Gene »

malocchio wrote:I have lived in the san francisco bay area 62 years,I cannot remember how many quakes I have been lucky enough to live through...in 1989 I saw our freeways,once the best in the world,crumble like paper cards,no warnings for earthquakes,you take them as they come...my house has cracks inside and out,repaired a dozen times over the years,the cement steps outside have seperated 3 inches since 1978...I hate being in quakes,but if you live in northern calif. you will go through many..
I was in Fremont, CA for business meetings in the 1989 quake. I have a huge amount of respect for the folks who take earthquakes as part and parcel of their daily lives. I certainly never want to experience one again!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Trumperman wrote:We caught a bit of a rumble in the Charlotte area.
Bill, I heard on Fox News that they felt it in Wilmington, but I didn't feel anything here in Raleigh. Funny.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

My daughter, sister and niece in Raleigh felt it clearly. My niece was on the 20th floor downtown.
Jim
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

This quake happened about 27 miles from my house....and 25 miles from the house we are building.......

However, I am at the beach and did not feel a damn thing...now I have to worry about what I might find when we get home.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

10 mg of Ambien and I slept though it (working 3rd shift). :shock:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's stuff like this that continue to remind us we're not actually in control of anything!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

AACJ wrote:This quake happened about 27 miles from my house....and 25 miles from the house we are building.......

However, I am at the beach and did not feel a damn thing...now I have to worry about what I might find when we get home.
I pray that all will be well Art. We were on a vacation, en route from NYC to Miami via Atlanta. This was 2003, 2004, and there was a wind storm in Memphis that was short of a tornado, no rain, but blew down power lines, uprooted trees, etc. Well, I could not call into Memphis to get my voice mail on the office line and could not reach a buddy of mine to see if he could cover a court date for a lady that called in. When we landed in Atlanta, I had two voicemails on my cell to call him and lo and behold, no power in over 50% of the city. We had people caring for our dogs by coming over at morning and evening, and so we had them picked up to stay with someone who had power. We lost power for 10 days and had 5 days of no air conditioning, no fridge, when we got home. All our food was ruined. You would be surprised how much it costs to stock all of the food that you used to have frozen in a fridge. We borrowed a generator to run fans and lights. Could have used a second one to run the A/C.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Three days after Katrina hit the power company cut a one lane hole that allowed my Son and I to leave the subdivision and go camp out at the office where there was power. There we had tvs, cable, dvds, internet, refrigerator, stoves and no phones ringing so we made out like bandits. Returning to the house a week later we found ruined food and water damage due to the torn up roof.

Interesting thing is the house was over 200 miles due North of landfall. That was one powerful storm.
Regards,
Squire
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I felt the floor moving under my feet for about 20 seconds. It made my stomach feel queezy. I am in NY.
Ed
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

It was also felt up here, although I did not personally.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

A lot of my friends felt it, as did both my kids. I didn't feel it. I guess I'm too used to feeling the earth move on a daily basis. 8)
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

My first earthquake experience as well. I'm grateful that it was not any stronger. Really renews your respect for nature's forces. Now I'm staring down a hurricane.
Rich