Simpsons Gary Young Limited Edition M7

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Simpsons Gary Young Limited Edition M7

Post by drP »

I thought that this limited edition Simpson deserved more attention hence this thread.
I acquired both versions and had no intention to use them but today i couldn't withstand its sirene call. So today was its maidentrip.
The brush itself is well constructed as might be expected from the Vulfix company. The loft is fairly dense but this kind of silvertip badger reminds me more of the best badger in the bigger Somersets from the Carter era in my collection. It has a yellow/light brown shade over it compared to other three band Simpsons supers.
The handle has a very attractive shape and turned out to be superbly ergonomical during use. It's in fact the most ergonomical handle of all brushes in my collection together with the handles of the PL8 and Colonel. Kudo's for Vulfix to revive this handle shape. The signature of Gary on the back of the brush adds to the LE status of the brush.
The material used could have been more marbled but that's a pure personal matter and has nothing to do with quality.
Being a Simpsons purist/traditionalist i applied the water soluble Carter decals. Looks much nicer than the imprinting imho. The current decals aren't suitable since the edge of the decal doesn't look nice and clean on the material of the handle.
It was clear that the brush definitely has to be broken in yet. It lost a few bristles though nothing to worry about.
There's enough backbone and the tips are pleasantly soft. The loft doesn't bloom much after use.

I'd rather had this M7 to be made with two band super like the LE Astor brush is. And preferrably with an ivory coloured handle too...sigh...
But alas, you can't allways get what you want... :wink:

There are lots of pics in the shopping section. Here two more pics: one with the lather just made and one after rinsing the loft.

Peter
IsaacRN

Post by IsaacRN »

Sadly, I am still waiting for my brush. I have to ask you, do you notice any difference in what was described as extremely super badger hair?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

That looks good, Peter. Thanks for all the photos.

I, personally, have always appreciated a brush with controlled bloom.

- Murray
drumana

Post by drumana »

It's a beautiful brush, for sure. Love the handle design.
-Andrew-
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Yes, the handle is very nice indeed. The bristle looks like the old best badger that Simpson used in their brushes before Vulfix took over.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

The bristles feel just like my Somerset PL8 Best, a bit of scritch to it.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Use in good health, Peter

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Whistler wrote:The bristles feel just like my Somerset PL8 Best, a bit of scritch to it.
A beautiful brush, but now I am relieved that I did not buy one.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
SRD

Post by SRD »

Enjoy it Peter. Thanks for your review.
Dave
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

A very nice looking brush, Peter. Maybe some years in the future, when it has become not just a LE but also a classic, you'll be willing to sell it to me.
_______
John
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Peter, I'm glad you were overwhelmed enough to give this guy a go! Well done, Sir!

Like you, I'd rather it had been a super stiff two band.... Regardless...

Cheers,

Ken
iKon OSS, Med Preps, MdC AOS ASB..... Perfection!
river1

Post by river1 »

Peter, thanks for a very objective review of the brush. The comparison to the Sommersets and following comments were also interesting. After seeing one of your Simpson displays, a brush review by you takes on new importance to me. Doug
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

It is a nice brush, but for the same price one can have two real horn handled blond badger Morris and Forndran brushes. The M7 handle is very ergonomic, an ideal size and weight. The badger bristle reminds me of the Rooney emillion, but not as densely packed. But the M7 pales in comparison to the M+F in function (lathering), face feel, and value for price.

Regards,
Stan
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

stanmog wrote:It is a nice brush, but for the same price one can have two real horn handled blond badger Morris and Forndran brushes. The M7 handle is very ergonomic, an ideal size and weight. The badger bristle reminds me of the Rooney emillion, but not as densely packed. But the M7 pales in comparison to the M+F in function (lathering), face feel, and value for price.

Regards,
Stan
Stan

This brush was never pitched against M & F brushes when myself and Mark looked at this collaboration. Two different sides of the playing field.

Gary
Gary
ltjaw

Post by ltjaw »

stanmog wrote:It is a nice brush, but for the same price one can have two real horn handled blond badger Morris and Forndran brushes. The M7 handle is very ergonomic, an ideal size and weight. The badger bristle reminds me of the Rooney emillion, but not as densely packed. But the M7 pales in comparison to the M+F in function (lathering), face feel, and value for price.

Regards,
Stan
Can't the same be said of any brush costing more than $200-$250? I think one is paying for more than quality and performance here. Exclusivity. Uniqueness. Whatever it is, there are those willing to pay extra, and I am occasionally such a person.

That being said, I have not purchased one. I would love to see this become a standard offering in the regular white handle, offered in 2 and 3 band Super.
Andrew
Fido

Post by Fido »

Regards,
Stan
Stan, is this opinion based on having used one of these M7 brushes?
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

yes
Fido

Post by Fido »

That was quick, thanks!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I do like the look of this handle. I think it would be neat to have Simpson/Vulfix do limited editions. Say to celebrate something, do a handle like this, use Best hair, and make the handle in say the colors of the British Flag. I think bringing in a brush around $150 would go over great, take preorders of say up to 300, or 500, or whatever number justifies the run.

A mottled look Peter, yes, I quite agree. The brush appears black on my monitor, and maybe it is not a wood handle. The first SMF brush was unique in that cocobola was so different from the handles in the past before we had all sorts of artisinal vendors cropping up. Some of the other matierials, like the stone ones, well, not as tactile to me, but this handle looks like one of those older bakelite models we see on ebay from time to time
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Sam,

Here's a better picture to get an impression of the handle material.

Peter