How does shaving with a combed razor feel?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Kazaam

How does shaving with a combed razor feel?

Post by Kazaam »

I don't have one but have always been curious. It seems like you wouldnt be able to get as close, and i can see no good reason why some razors have them, but I am sure im missing something as a great many razors have them.

thanks!
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

2 kinds..open and closed..open has "teeth"..closed is just a straight bar..IMO..open comb is a bit easier..closed comb tends to cover more of the DE blade..plus open comb is easier to wash lather off..im sure thats why they were made..just my thoughts :D

ST
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

I have a merkur HD with a bar and an Ikon classic with a comb. In practical use I feel no difference on my face from the comb. The open comb just rinses faster and sometimes if my angle gets off leaves funny comb marks in the lather.

I guess some of the old open combs especially the brass ones if dropped would get a tooth or two bent out of shape pretty much ruining them. The closed bar is stronger I would guess as it's bar is fully supported by it's length.
Tom
brothers

Post by brothers »

I like open comb razors by a narrow margin, and I can't tell anybody why, because I don't know why. Maybe the ones I have just happen to be slightly less mild than the Tech. I like the way they shave. Anyway, there are two kinds of open comb heads, if not more than two. Some have the blade sitting flat on the head with no gap, while others have a gap between the blade and the top of the base plate. This has given me the understanding that if there is a gap, 100% of the edge surface is actively cutting whiskers. If there's no gap, and the blades sitting down on the surface of the base plate, only 50% of the edge is cutting any whiskers, and the other 50% is wasted.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Re: How does shaving with a combed razor feel?

Post by L. Martino »

Kazaam wrote:I don't have one but have always been curious. It seems like you wouldnt be able to get as close, and i can see no good reason why some razors have them, but I am sure im missing something as a great many razors have them.

thanks!
Hi there,

Having used lots of razors over the years, I can tell you that generally an OC type will shave me closer than one with a safety bar. The comfort level is also different between the two.

Far as how an OC feels on my face goes, it's like using a tiny little rake............heh. You should at least try one and see what's up. My advice would be to stay away from any razor with an Old Type head, since those can bite like a rabid bulldog unless you're very careful.

Martin
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

L. Martino wrote:...My advice would be to stay away from any razor with an Old Type head, since those can bite like a rabid bulldog unless you're very careful...
No lie, Martin. My guess is it's related to DE blades back in the day being significantly thicker than they are now. The razors weren't designed to be rabid bulldogs (nice analogy, dude).

--Glenn
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

I have a Merkur 15c open comb which I will try to describe. This is the one where the blade lays on the bottom plate until the very edge without a gap, although in reality there is a tiny one so that the entire edge of the blade does cut. To me, it feels the same on my face. The teeth do allow more of the lather to reach the blade edge and the facial skin while making a stroke. And because there is no big gap between the blade and bottom plate, it does keep the surface of the blade cleaner where the surfaces do meet. It seems one has to get the angle right on the open comb because of the small gap, but that isn't hard to do. If you define aggressiveness as having a wide range of angles available where a razor will cut or having a large blade exposure, then I would not say my Merkur 15c is aggressive at all. The teeth make it easier to thin sideburns or goattee and such because it funnels the hair. It doesn't flatten like a straight bar would. I think this may be the reason that open combs were the first safety razor design-- because of men's fashion for some facial hair. I hope this all makes sense.

[edit] It may be that pressure could cause the skin to bunch up differently, due to the amount of space between the comb and blade, than the Merkur straight bar version and cause some razor burn.
Last edited by Zot! on Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
L. Martino

Post by L. Martino »

2clfrwrds wrote:
L. Martino wrote:...My advice would be to stay away from any razor with an Old Type head, since those can bite like a rabid bulldog unless you're very careful...
No lie, Martin. My guess is it's related to DE blades back in the day being significantly thicker than they are now. The razors weren't designed to be rabid bulldogs (nice analogy, dude).

--Glenn
Hi Glenn

Here's a pic of my very own bad doggie. This one's a 1919 Bulldog that I never use and can't bring myself to sell. The sellers remorse would be brutal.....heh.

franz

Post by franz »

That's a beaut. :)
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

I like my 1918 Old Type. With care it delivers a very close comfortable shave. It is very good if you've skipped a day or two on the weekend for instance.

Not sure why everyone thinks they are so treacherous. I've heard some of the NEWs are far more aggressive. There is a fair amount of blade exposure so some SR experience doesn't hurt.

Scott
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

Uh, didn't mean to kill the thread. OC razors are very cool. I might even try the -41.

That Bulldog is *gorgeous*.

Scott
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

The best way to describe how an Open Comb (OC) razor performs is to actually try one. The preparation, technique, and after shave techniques are the same. Just like a non OC razor, experimentation is necessary to find the correct comination in order to receive the shave you desire. So this won't be an immediate decision on your part. You need to try different razor blade/razor combos to find the correct one. You also need to relax, take your time, and concentrate on your technique. Follow the basics and you will find a comination that works for you.

"TAKE YOUR TIME"..
Enjoy your shave...

v/r
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
L. Martino

Post by L. Martino »

ScottB wrote:I like my 1918 Old Type. With care it delivers a very close comfortable shave. It is very good if you've skipped a day or two on the weekend for instance.

Not sure why everyone thinks they are so treacherous. I've heard some of the NEWs are far more aggressive. There is a fair amount of blade exposure so some SR experience doesn't hurt.

Scott
Hi there,

You're one of the lucky ones who can tolerate the Old Type shaves. Never been able to get past how uncomfortable that thing is on my face, but it does provide a very close shave.....much more so than usual.

Years ago I tried the New heads (long and short tooth versions), the New Improved types, and the New Deluxe razors like a Norfolk. That New Deluxe head was almost, but not quite as aggressive as the Old Type, Heh, ended up selling that nice looking piece and the member loves the way it shaves.

The only open comb in my rotation's a 1934 type Aristocrat. One of the milder ones, with a head somewhat similar to the Sheraton/Senator types.

Funny how we all have our druthers,

Martin

Oh,,,,thanks to you and Franz for the nice words about the Bulldog. I believe that one was sold in Germany originally, since it's a German case and has some German blades in the holders.
Last edited by L. Martino on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Araner

Post by Araner »

I've been using this Gillette New (short teeth) open comb for a few years and I love the way it shaves. Very smooth when paired with a Derby blade.

Mike
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

the old type is considered agressive? really? I've foudn mine *VERY* tame so far. heck I delibrately loosened the head and pushed on the blade to make it into a semi slant to up the agression!

Seriously the only razor I use that feels milder than my old is a 40s sueprspeed, and even that's arguable. I'd say it's mildert than any of my superspeeds, much less my slant or any of my adjustables on medium or higher settings...

I'm using one of my midler blades (a red IP) in it. Guess I should try an astra or feather in both regular and ghetto slant mode. If that does the trick, then I may be selling quite a few razors and picking up another old type (for travel) . Tomorrow, however is my birthday, so I am sparing no expense and using my very best (proven) tools and consumables, taking my time, and seeing just how good a shave I can get when I go all out.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well happy birthday Sargon, hope it proves to be a good one. If you wish to post the details of your shave we have a Forum for that, SOTD.
Regards,
Squire