I hated it!!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Quarterstick wrote:From other posts, the blade issue is going to be a pain. I will probably end up checking bags from now on and hope they do not get "misplaced" in transit.
That or plan to buy some DEs (or whatever you use) at your destination.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

When I'm traveling I tend to take the whole kit with me, unless I know I'm going to be pressed for time, like this week. I did bring a DE, a gold Gillette NEW, but left the brush at home. While my face won't tolerate canned gel, there are a couple of brands of canned foam that work well enough for occasional use. This week I packed a can of Mary K MKMen's shave foam, which is one of the better quality canned foams I've used, and it helps my paycheck, since we make it for them at work.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

If the goal is "being presentable" I can get away for a day or two with a Bic Sensitive and a can of foaming goo.

I'm not saying it is a pleasant shave. I'm just saying I can achieve the appearance of being clean shaven.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Strange, but I can tolerate most disposables and even at home I try to start with my vibrating Fusion unless I'm feeling really stable. Much safer to skim off the tops and then switch to a DE for polishing. Unless your prep and technique are really good the first passes are the most dangerous because of snagging. Of course my experience is now colored by my waterless technique. I still like it best and only resort to a brush and lather once in a great while when I have a lot of free time to prep.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

The Feather Portable razor does a great job and takes up no space at all in your washbag.

Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

I keep a fresh one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Schick-Disposable ... B001JB8X6C

In my dopp kit at all times. The nearest Wal-Mart sells them in bags of 10 with a bonus of two ST2's. With coupon, cost is less than 10 cents per razor.

For surface travel, I take a Slim in a soap container along, but this Schick razor is surprisingly effective. I used the Schick this morning, face lathering with Arko stick.

After 36+ hours of weekend growth, this combo makes for a surprisingly good shave, two passes plus touch-up. I wouldn't use a twin blade with soap on a regular basis (drying, irritation), but for a Monday morning quickie, it's surprisingly good, perhaps due to the Arko lather...
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Depends how you're traveling.

If by car, you can just bring your standard set up without much hassle, and that seems smart to me.

If by air, with the TSA rules, I find a Schick Hydro 3 really fits the bill. I think it shaves just as well as a DE (HERESY!!), and it's TSA compliant, and extremely portable.

Of course, it doesn't have the cool factor of a DE, but it certainly is a simple, practical answer(for me) to the air travel conundrum!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

If flight and using disposables are in the offing I just get some when I arrive.
Regards,
Squire
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

aircraft_electrician wrote:While my face won't tolerate canned gel, there are a couple of brands of canned foam that work well enough for occasional use. This week I packed a can of Mary K MKMen's shave foam, which is one of the better quality canned foams I've used, and it helps my paycheck, since we make it for them at work.

Tom
Building on this, I currently use Kiss My Face as my shaving cream (it was easy to access starting out for relatively low cost) which is designed to work brushless. It does a right proper job too, although I prefer it with a brush. I recall a post where one member experimented with about 20 brushless creams and reported all worked rather well. So there are proably a lot of good options beyond the mass market stuff when traveling if you do not tolerate them well or prefer not to use them.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
95%

Post by 95% »

Quarterstick wrote:
...I recall a post where one member experimented with about 20 brushless creams and reported all worked rather well. So there are proably a lot of good options beyond the mass market stuff when traveling if you do not tolerate them well or prefer not to use them.
That survey was posted by Gary (brothers) and was quite impressive. As I recall, there was a single cream, an outlier, that performed badly,
Porter
brothers

Post by brothers »

Porter, thanks for remembering. :lol:

Andy, it turns out that pretty much any shaving cream can be used as as brushless cream. A few weeks ago we were on vacation and I used a tub of Fraser's Oriental Spilce without a brush, and it did a great job for me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I don't consider any cream that lathers when rubbed in to be a real "brushless". Those that work for me are cold cream like---greasy and vanishing. Nothing visible on the skin if rubbed in a while. Still the razor is prevented from getting too close and the skin is lubricated. And they are generally not alkaline like soap.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, that's right, of course. I've chosen to use the literal description, and when I use the term brushless, I'm only tallking about "without a brush", as opposed to the industry term which means the product is specifically made with certain ingredients that are either used or omittted from the recipe with the specific intent that it will refuse to make a lather. A good example of your use of the term would be the Ingram's in the green and white tube. It's vanishing and greasy, and there's nothing visible when it's rubbed in. Yet it provides a good coat of lubrication for the razor to glide through whiile removing the whiskers.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I took one trip and my baggage was slightly overweight. So, I ditched the DE and substituted a Trac II razor. Well, after two or three shaves the part of the razor that holds the blade broke. I spent the rest of the trip shaving with just the blade. I was in Switzerland, so I had no idea where to buy blades. I finally asked the hotel for a razor, and they supplied me at no charge a little package with disposable razor and a small tube of shaving cream.

From then on, I bring a travel tech or portable feather, and 1 or 2 Bics as a backup in my carryon. Lesson learned.
Ed