Muhle R41 Toothcomb

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Trout Whisperer

Post by Trout Whisperer »

:shock:
"Let a man set his heart only on doing the will of God and he is instantly free." — A. W. Tozer
numcks

Post by numcks »

Today was my first go with the notorious new head Muhle r41. It is undeniably an aggressive razor, with lots of blade exposure, but it's not the beast to be feared that I was expecting. I found it less aggressive than my Joris and Vision and about on par with my Barbasol. Paired with a fresh Perma Sharp blade, I got a very close shave quasi BBS in only 2 passes with no irritation or cuts, just one tiny weeper on a flat mole that is a perennial problem area. I like the balance and feel and think this one is a definite keeper.
Cheers,
Mike
Dale

Post by Dale »

I wonder if the R41 is anything like a Futur on 6? Has anyone tried both?
Regards,
Dale
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

I can't say about the Futur, but the new R41 is more aggressive than my Fatboy on 9.

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

Dale wrote:I wonder if the R41 is anything like a Futur on 6? Has anyone tried both?
it's like a futur on 15!!

the r41 open tooth shaved very well wtg. however, i got greedy and went for an atg pass..i'm afraid i will have a scar that will last a lifetime. i actiually had a hunk of flesh hanging. now,, a futur or any other razor would have given me a warning.... a prick,,,,so to speak. the r41 gave no warning and it was too late by the time i noticed what had happened. i also got a d.r. harris muhle head recently and i guess i like it better. not as close but soooo much less stress. know what i mean?? :roll:
Last edited by gil3591 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Dale

Post by Dale »

Oh my.....Guess I am gonna have to get one and 100 Feather blades.
Regards,
Dale
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's living large Dale.
Regards,
Squire
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

Dale,
The new R41 likes Astra SP blades just fine. I can't imagine that even a Feather would shave any better in this thing.

Wayne, who just got 200 Astra SP blades to feed it
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
Dale

Post by Dale »

Thanks, Wayne. I already ordered the R41 and 100 Feather blades. Should be here in a week or so. I like Feathers in any razor so I should be set for a while.
Regards,
Dale
brothers

Post by brothers »

Dale, I'm very interested in how your Muhle/Feather combo works out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Dale

Post by Dale »

brothers wrote:Dale, I'm very interested in how your Muhle/Feather combo works out.
Gary, me too! lol Should be interesting. Lately I have shaved a few times with a Futur on 6 but not a Feather blade -- just kind of getting warmed up and seeing if I really do have a light enough touch. I am quite intrigued by the idea of straight razors but have no desire to put effort into keeping them sharp.
Regards,
Dale
brothers

Post by brothers »

Dale, it took a while and a lot of patience and experimentation for me to gain sufficient ability and tools to find and maintain my straight razors, but now, nearly 3 years on, I can say it has been a very rewarding experience.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nteeman

First try

Post by nteeman »

Got my R41 yesterday and tried it today with Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (yellow). Yes, it is not a razor for a beginner DE user. You definitely sense more of a blade feel than razor. I did a one pass WTG and got a very close, smooth shave. Very pleased with this razor so far.

The razor itself is top quality - made very well and is a fine looking razor. Even the way it feels as you screw the handle into the head is a smoother, more exact feel than other 3 piece razors I own.

Well, that is my first impression. We will see how it goes over time.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I see this try of you guys with this razor. All seem say it is so aggressive and almost none that it gives good day to day shaves? It has been interesting to hear though ;)

It is definately for me not to try. For me a Feather with a Tech is too agressive. And I think I would not try them Merkur open combs either. I rule definately out trying slant type razors, for me. My guess is just razor burn and yes a close shave lol.
Jarmo
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Three shaves later and I must admit I like this razor a lot. Shaved with a Derby blade today and got an excellent shave. If I could find a gripe against this razor it would only be that I prefer a longer handle. But as it is, it is a beautiful razor!

Might experiment and see if my Merkur 38C handle or my iKon long handle have the same machine thread and will take this razor head. If it does I may have a hybrid. :D
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Dale

Post by Dale »

Dale wrote:Oh my.....Guess I am gonna have to get one and 100 Feather blades.
My R41 and Feather blades arrived yesterday and I used it this morning. It was a much different shave than I have ever had with a DE. The blade sounded dull and there was pulling. I used a very light hand WTG and ATG resulting in a very close and smooth shave. Twelve hours later and my skin still feels velvety and smooth. In my Barley Chatsworth (Muhle), a Feather blade lasts me about a month. The R41 shall see daily use for a while and I will let you know how it's going. All in all, I really like this razor and blade combination. As long as I keep a light touch all should be well.
Regards,
Dale