Trouble for Mr. Clean

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
maskaggs

Trouble for Mr. Clean

Post by maskaggs »

I've run into a bit of a wall regarding shaving my head. I've tried multiple methods, with the following results:

1) "Head Blade" system, AKA blades on a Hot Wheels car: Awkward angle to hold, finger loop only really works in one direction, plenty of nicks.

2) DE razor, same as I use on my face: Since a great deal of the shave happens on the back of the head where you can't see anything, and going ATG is extremely awkward, I get plenty of nicks here and even a few substantial cuts. Not a pleasant experience.

3) Gillette Mach 3: I hate to say it, but this is the best experience. No nicks, no irritation, close shave.

The problem is that my wallet doesn't like the Mach 3. What I'm wondering is if there's anything between a DE and a Mach 3 that I could use; I suspect the Mach 3 has been valuable so far because it both pivots (to follow the contours of my head) and maintains a consistent blade angle, which thus far has improved impossible when shaving blind and, effectively, upside down on the back of my head. Are there any pivoting cartridge razors out there that won't cost as much as a decent bottle of bourbon to replace?
Regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Mike it's a sad reflection on things when we can get a good bottle of Bourbon but not a suitable razor.

At the risk of being redundant have you tried the disposables?
Regards,
Squire
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I should have included it on the list - I've only tried a few times, but the Bic Sensitive (I think - it's bright orange) was about the same as the Head Blade. Technically I shaved, but the results were less than so-so and plenty of nicks along the way.
Regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Any chance the bride can be persuaded to assist?
Regards,
Squire
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Squire wrote:Any chance the bride can be persuaded to assist?
Not a good one - neither of us knows why, but seeing the process of a man shaving is like nails on a chalkboard to her. I suppose the proliferation of practical jokes centered around barbershop shaving in TV and movies is to blame :D
Regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

c'est la vie
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mike, the Gillette Guard is a pivoting head, single blade disposable razor, the blades are available from West Coast Shaving for around half a dollar, last time I checked.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

For me, the Schick Xtreme 3 was about the best cartridge razor I found. When I contemplated shaving my head smooth* I thought it would be a good option since it has a flexible head. I figured it would hug the countours pretty well. I also think they tend to be a bit less expensive then the Mach 3 and if memory serves they make a disposable version as well. You may want to check out some dollar stores as they sometimes carry these (not for a dollar, but cheaper than normal).

* The missues does not like the smooth look. She does not mind the natural loss because it was departing fast when we met. Now it is all but a memory on top, but she still likes a little on the side. I figure she is the one that has too look at me so I won't argue.:)
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Mike

My all time fav is the fusion and the blade lasts a really long time. Shaving 3 or 4 times a week a blade lasts well over a month, maybe a lot longer. Worth every cent in my book.

clive

ps for some reason, soap is better for blade longevity, but when blade gets dull cream softens the blow :lol:
de gustibus non est disputandum
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I went out in search of the disposables with a pivot head; I couldn't find the exact ones mentioned, but got a store brand disposable. So far, it does a decent job up top, but I had a hard time rinsing it out. I'll need a few more runs to tweak technique and, hopefully, have a solution. I'll keep an eye out for the Gillette Guard, though.
Regards,
Mike
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

Another great option would be the Gillette Guard razor..ONLY made in India..almost the same as a Mach3..no lube strips and yes head flexes..they are pretty cheap on Ebay..VERY good for the money if you need to use disposables
franz

Post by franz »

I say give the DE another shot. There's a learning curve, but if you are capable of getting the job done on your face, you should be able to get good results on the head with a bit of practice. I don't do ATG on the back of my head. If ATG everywhere on the dome is a must and the DE is really chopping you up, maybe the carts are preferable. I remember getting decent headshaves with the Mach 3 and Sensor carts. By the way, some of the older cartridge systems (e.g., generic Atra or Trac II) do not pivot.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I had the Mr Clean look for about 5 years. Tried all that you mentioned and got the best shaves with a BIC Sensitive Disposable. Did use my old Fusion but the blades are very expensive. Even tried an electric and found it worked just fine.

But when I found I enjoyed traditional shaving and need more room on my sink and in my cabinets the electric went the route of the cartridge razors, out the door.

Still, even with the disposable I got quite a few nicks and cuts. So I went the other way. Let the hair grow back and since last December have been growing a ponytail. Still with a bald head on top I need to "shave" it every few days. I have some disposables that I use for that.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

At my barbershop I see quite a few gents that like to keep the Mr Clean look come in for a head shave. It seems the barbers do a very thourough job and I have yet to see any blood. Any thoughts on going to your local barber?
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I tried the barber route. It didn't end well -- he whipped out a bic disposable :(

I've been using the 3 bladed disposables they sell at walmart. They are actually Wilkinsons called the Xtreme 3, & I use the sensitive. Can't recall the exact price as I bought an 8 pack in May, and still have half a package to go, and that's with shaving the noggin every other day. I believe it was $7.99 for the package, but the details fade.

Very good head shave, and adequate on the face in a pinch when I'm late for work, and don't have time for the DE. No matter what though -- I use a good soap, and that can cover a multitude of sins :)
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Jefe wrote:I tried the barber route. It didn't end well -- he whipped out a bic disposable :(

I've been using the 3 bladed disposables they sell at walmart. They are actually Wilkinsons called the Xtreme 3, & I use the sensitive. Can't recall the exact price as I bought an 8 pack in May, and still have half a package to go, and that's with shaving the noggin every other day. I believe it was $7.99 for the package, but the details fade.

Very good head shave, and adequate on the face in a pinch when I'm late for work, and don't have time for the DE. No matter what though -- I use a good soap, and that can cover a multitude of sins :)
I may have to try those out. I think the only way I would go to a barber at this point would be if I could get a real experience there - brushed up lather, shooting the breeze, taking my time. Around here I'm thinking Fantastic Sam's is about it. In any case, I started shaving my head for the exact reason that I got tired of paying someone to cut my swiftly thinning hair. Thanks for all the suggestions - this has been helpful, and a vast improvement over bleeding from the head :o
Regards,
Mike
themba

Post by themba »

Before shaving my head I used to cut my own hair. I got into the habit of using a hand mirror along with the mirror in front of the sink. Once I started head shaving I had no problems using the same razor I use to shave my face. Now, I am quite capable of shaving my entire head without the use of the hand mirror but I still continue to use it. I am sure many of use could shave their face without the use of a mirror to look at, but we still use mirrors. I see no reason to shave the back of my head without a mirror.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

For the short time I was shaving my head I found the best razor for the job was my OCMM. No other razor even came close.

BTW, I didn't quit because of the razor. I quit shaving the head because (this may sound odd) I forgot that my skin has a reaction to my eyeglass frame. I need the little hair there is between the frame and my skin to prevent it. The sores I got reminded me of that.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square