Visiting London. Where should I shop for brushes?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
McNutt

Visiting London. Where should I shop for brushes?

Post by McNutt »

My wife and I are going to London for a few days next week. While I'm there I'd like to look at a few brushes. Does anybody have a shop they recommend?

I'm interested mainly in Simpson, Rooney and Kent. I have owned several Simpsons and Rooneys and I've loved some and hated others (shedders). I'd really like to see them in person before pulling the trigger. I think it would be a nice item to help remember our trip to the UK.

Thanks
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Tony, take a trip to the Gentlemen's department in Fortnum & Mason.
Regards,
Jani
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Take a long stroll down Jermyn Street with detours down Princes' Arcade and the Burlington Arcade (which actually is off Piccadilly). You will not be disappointed by what you discover and you may find mementos in excess of mere shave brushes. In any case, all of the great shaving emporia are represented in Jermyn street and in St. James's Street perpendicular at the top of Jermyn. Look also for cheese, scotch, shoes, shirts, hats, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Buzz
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

Definitely call into D.R. Harris on St James and ask to see the 'special' Simpson they keep high up in on the display cabinets behind their main counter. I am sure you will appreciate the brush!
Have a good trip.

Gary
Gary
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really looking forward to it.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Tony, definately do what you have been recommended here. But the only place you'll find Simpson brushes on sale is at Fortnum & Mason. Trumper's have... something else these days. The other's no longer offer Simpson brushes.
Regards,
Jani
Fido

Post by Fido »

All within a short distance of each other:

Taylors of Bond Street
Trumpers
Truefitt and Hill
DR Harris

Jermyn Street/St James area.

And Fortnum and Mason also close by.

All worth a visit even if you don't buy anything.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Fido wrote:All within a short distance of each other:

Taylors of Bond Street
Trumpers
Truefitt and Hill
DR Harris

+1 -- gotta make the pilgrimage to them all!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Taylors of Bond Street
Trumpers
Truefitt and Hill
DR Harris

& Floris, & Czeck and Speake, & Dunhill, & Turnbull's, & Beretta, & Berry Brothers, & Lobbs, & Crockets, & New and Lingwood for God's sake, & cetera...& cetera...& cetera. The Jermyn and St James's axis is perhaps my favorite place on earth. Get your morning pastries at the Patisserie Vallerie and have dinner at The Wolseley in Piccadilly. Be certain to have a martini or a vesper in the bar at Dukes Hotel, even if you don't stay at Dukes.

Buzz
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

While you are at it -- grab a train to Leeds and check out Mitchell's --- actually there is nothing much there in Bradford to see --- I don't even believe they will give tours -- although I have asked a couple of times, but they have turned me down -- they clearly didn't know who they were speaking with. :wink:
Wendell

M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

jww wrote:While you are at it -- grab a train to Leeds and check out Mitchell's --- actually there is nothing much there in Bradford to see --- I don't even believe they will give tours -- although I have asked a couple of times, but they have turned me down -- they clearly didn't know who they were speaking with. :wink:
I beg your pardon! The original Harry Ramsden's is in Leeds and certainly worthy of a visit!!! Okay, it is actually in Guiseley, which is even closer to Bradford, but that is very near Leeds.

Buzz
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

M6Classic wrote:
jww wrote:While you are at it -- grab a train to Leeds and check out Mitchell's --- actually there is nothing much there in Bradford to see --- I don't even believe they will give tours -- although I have asked a couple of times, but they have turned me down -- they clearly didn't know who they were speaking with. :wink:
I beg your pardon! The original Harry Ramsden's is in Leeds and certainly worthy of a visit!!! Okay, it is actually in Guiseley, which is even closer to Bradford, but that is very near Leeds.

Buzz
Sorry, I stand corrected --- I had forgotten about ole 'arry.

http://www.harryramsdens.co.uk/

I always thought that it was Whitby's Magpie Cafe wot had the world's best fish n chips. ?????

http://www.magpiecafe.co.uk/

We've eaten at the Magpie, and to be honest, the dining-in experience wasn't all that great. The take-away was quite a different thing though. You can't eat MWF or Trumpers ...... :wink:
Wendell

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Taylors of Bond Street
Trumpers
Truefitt and Hill
DR Harris

I just got back from England. I visited all of the shops recommended above. Fortnum and Mason was the only shop that had Kent brushes, which I really wanted to see, but they were all Best Badger and I wanted a higher grade of hair. The other shops all had rebadged brushes that I assume were mostly Vulfix. They were all two-band super and best grades, but were looser (floppy) than I prefer. There were a few rebranded Simpson brushes, so it was nice to get to finally hold samples of Persian Jars, Chubbys and Polos. I really didn’t find anything I liked until we went to Truefitt and Hill. They had a very large selection of brushes and many were excellent. I managed to find a rebadged Rooney Finest that stood out as though it had a spotlight on it. It was the only two-band brush I saw while in London and it was a thing of beauty. Black roots and extremely white tips. It found a good home here in the U.S.

When I get a chance I’ll give a full writeup of it. It seems to be pretty similar in build to my two-band Simpson Tulip 2. It’s a small bit bigger in diameter and seems just as stiff. It does feel a bit easier on the face, so it has that unique soft scrub feel of a Rooney’s Finest. Overall it’s an expensive, but great brush.

Thanks again for the recommendations.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I just read that Rooney stopped making their Finest line, so I'm now really happy I spotted this one.
druphus

Post by druphus »

McNutt wrote:I just read that Rooney stopped making their Finest line, so I'm now really happy I spotted this one.
You did very well indeed. The latest 2-band Rooneys are not nearly as nice as the old "finest"!
Regards,
Andy
jhclare

Post by jhclare »

I live in London and rarely, if ever, do shaving shopping here.

Why?

Because last time I went all the re-branded brushes were too pointy-bulby, lofty, and too floppy for my tastes.

Plus, all the English creams/soaps are highly overrated in my opinion.

Give me Arko, IK, and Cella any day of the week!

John
Vulfix Old Original

Post by Vulfix Old Original »

jhclare wrote:
Plus, all the English creams/soaps are highly overrated in my opinion.

John
You can re-visit this quote John after trying our new Simpson Cream ... !? :wink:

Best,

Mark
Follow us on Twitter @AESimpson1919