Razor for the Missus

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Quarterstick

Razor for the Missus

Post by Quarterstick »

My lovely wife is sold on DE razors. I thought of giving her my current one, the Merkur Long Handle (23C), and getting a new one for myself. However, this is my first DE so I am a bit attached to it and she does not like the 3 piece design (she is uncomfortable changing blades). So I am looking for recommendations. Ideal parameters:

- TTO
- Long handle
- Fixed head
- Reasonable quality
- New, not vintage (she is funny about that sort of thing)

As a side note, I will not let this stop me from getting another razor eventually. I just want to focus on trying different blades and creams/soaps right now. :wink:
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

There are the various "Lady Gillette's" and "Lady Schick's" but for a more modern razor I think it's a tough call. One that does come to mind for a DE is the Schick Krona.
FWIW, if she wanted a "Lady Schick" (Injector), they can still be had, sometimes even brand new. They have a nice long handle and work very well with the Chinese Schick blades. My wife has one and loves it.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
brothers

Post by brothers »

For her stated preferences, current production, etc., take a look at the Parker lineup. I know nothing about them, but I have seen several of the online vendors who carry them. Yesterday, browsing around, I spotted a new Parker with a long black handle that appeared to be very similar to the old '70s Gillette Super Adjustable.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

You might even be able to find a Lady Gillette that is New Old Stock, an unopened package from way back when. For what it's worth, my wife uses a Lady Gillette. It was gently used, but I steralized it well and she couldn't be happier. I'm now trying to get my daughter to use either a Lady Gillette (I have a few) and a Lady Schick, which I have only one of.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Andy, I would choose a Krona but those are hard to come by still in the plastic.

Given her understandable preference I believe the answer would be a new Feather tto razor. I'm speaking of the long handle light weight model they came out with several years ago.

Here is one next to a Schick Krona for comparison. This one is still sealed in the box and if you think she might like it pm your address and I will send it on.
Regards,
Squire
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

Thank you Squire!
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
jbc

Post by jbc »

Didn't gillette market a self loading razor many years ago that made use of a notch in the super speeds that hooked to the razor blade and pulled the blade in without ever touching the blade in any way? Might be what Quater Stick needs.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

If true, that would be cool. However, the trick would be finding one NOS and not having it cost so much I need to sell an organ to afford it. :)
Andy

brothers

Post by brothers »

jbc wrote:Didn't gillette market a self loading razor many years ago that made use of a notch in the super speeds that hooked to the razor blade and pulled the blade in without ever touching the blade in any way? Might be what Quater Stick needs.
[/img]
Yes, Gillette, Schick, Personna, probably others. They are the little holders or multi-blade packs we see now with the Spoilers, etc. You just place your thumb on the blades peeping out of the center of the pack, shove it gently in the direction of the little black arrow until the slot comes into view, hook the slot over the notch in the center of the TTO razor and pull. The only contact is with the thumb when pushing the blade out at the beginning of the very simple process.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That was the sales pitch anyway but you still have to remove the blade from the razor and push it back into the cartridge disposal slot. Of course that would be Andy's job so the story does have some basis.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote: . . . . but you still have to remove the blade from the razor and push it back into the cartridge disposal slot.
So very true! Unless the user would just spin the butterflies open and dump the used blade directly into the trash. Otherwise, you've gotta touch it, whether you want to or not.
Gary

Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

Squire wrote:That was the sales pitch anyway but you still have to remove the blade from the razor and push it back into the cartridge disposal slot. Of course that would be Andy's job so the story does have some basis.
True. I need to ensure I do not make myself completely obsolete. :wink:
Andy

Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

I recently gave my wife a Weishi and she was very happy with it. She was used to using cartridges and when she first tried the Weishi she said that she thought it wasn't working----truth was that it was sharp and not pulling like her old disposable.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

Just an update. Squire was kind enough to provide the Feather razor and it suits my wife very well. Mild shaver and easy to use. She really like the TTO for changing the blades compared to my 3 piece. The plastic construction is something she likes as well. It is lighter and feels more like what she was used to.

Now I just have to steal it to give it go. :wink:

Thank you all for your input with special thanks to Squire for his generosity.
Andy

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Now Andy, over the years we on this Board have often counseled on concealing, ahem, yet to be used shaving products, but stealing from her we cannot countenance. A line must be drawn.
Regards,
Squire
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

Your valuables are not safe! Mind your gold, jools, razors, and other riches for Andy, Master Thief, is on the prowl.

He deftly enters the bathroom of his latest victim with a skill born of years of experience; bumbling and making an inordinate amount of noise.

He – “Honey, can I borrow your razor?”

She – “Why?”

He – “Because I want to see how it shaves?”

She – “Okay… but make sure you clean it.”

He – “Seriously? You made fun when I bought a toothbrush for my razor.”

She – “I don’t want any gunk on it.”

He – “I’ll even put in a new blade after I am done.”

He then makes good his escape into the night. The only trace of his passing… well the razor is still in the same spot as he intends to use it tomorrow.
Andy

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Squire wrote:Now Andy, over the years we on this Board have often counseled on concealing, ahem, yet to be used shaving products, but stealing from her we cannot countenance. A line must be drawn.
The 11th Commandment: Stealeth ye not SWMBO's razor, nor of the blade within, nor of the unguents applied before its wielding.
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

Besides the handle length, is there any difference between the Injector and the Lady Schick? Could a woman use the former just as effectively? I was thinking of giving my fiancée an Injector I no longer use.

Regards,
Daniel
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Reverend Jim wrote:I recently gave my wife a Weishi and she was very happy with it. She was used to using cartridges and when she first tried the Weishi she said that she thought it wasn't working----truth was that it was sharp and not pulling like her old disposable.
I gave my wife a gently used Lady Gillette months ago which she uses like clockwork. Not everyday, but frequently.

The other day I asked if she needed more blades yet and she told me she still hasn't changed the blade (Derby). At this rate I think a 5 pack will be close to a lifetime supply. I wish my face could take that treatment! Heck, all she uses is shower soap too!

1/4stick, I'm glad it worked out for you both.