The worst blade you have used

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Squire wrote:Gene, Treet makes more than one carbon steel blade, do you remember the color of the box.
These:

I second the Gillette 365 as a bad blade, too.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
SRD

Post by SRD »

Gene wrote:
Squire wrote:Gene, Treet makes more than one carbon steel blade, do you remember the color of the box.
These:

I second the Gillette 365 as a bad blade, too.
Man, talk about YMMV. That Treet blade is hands down my favorite blade. It is cheap and gives me two outstanding shaves. Then I toss them.

On the other hand I tried a NOS Damaskeene SE blade this morning in a Damaskeene 1912. While a gorgeous looking blade it did not do the job so I replaced it with a Treet SE blade to finish the job.
Dave
paddy

Post by paddy »

Man, talk about YMMV. That Treet blade is hands down my favorite blade. It is cheap and gives me two outstanding shaves. Then I toss them.
yes, this is my experience with this blade as well. 2 decent shaves or so, then it turns to poo.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

I do not have depth of experience, only trying a handfull of blades thus far. However, Family Dollar Korean made blades performed horribly for me. I cannot say I was particularly disappointed as I did not expect much to begin with, but I would not use them again.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
franz

Post by franz »

Odio Barbillas wrote: There's no arguing over tastes.
Sage advice.

De laminis non est disputandum!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That would rather limit our discussions here Odio.
Regards,
Squire
ateace

Post by ateace »

My vote goes to the Treet Dura Sharp in the nicely designed blue retro packaging (NOT the popular version in the yellow and red packs).

There was no carnage. There was no tugging.
In fact, there wasn't anything. It was like I hadn't shaved. This was in a Merkur HD.

There are other blades that I don't use because they are too sharp for everyday use, but I can't call those bad - just not for me.
mikey

Post by mikey »

The WORST blade I have ever used was some variety of Topaz. I couldn't even get through two stokes before tossing it. As a matter of fact, I haven't liked ANY blades made in third world countries. Go figure.

Conversely, my FAVORITE blades are English Wilkinsons. As these are NOS and I only have a precious few, I have been searching for a blade that is as sharp as a Feather but as smooth as a Crystal. The Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum 'Blues' look promising.

Thanks,
Mike
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

Merkur.

Thats all.
OtherMoe

Post by OtherMoe »

Dave_D wrote:Merkur.

Thats all.
+1, a rusty tuna can lid would work better.
--------------------------
-Moe
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Well, I'm not sure if it was the worst but the most disappointing blade was the Bic. As an occasional user (when I travel sometimes) of the disposable Bic Sensitive single blade razor I thought I'd give their DE blades a go.

I found the Bic blades to be NFG.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

The BIC disposable single blades are a bloodsucking beast, fully the evil equal of the German Schick injector blades.

And not the worst, but a disappointment so far: the Schick FX Diamond cartridge two-blader. After three shaves, I'm still waiting for the magic to kick in. It's rough and pull-y, not smooth at all. Maybe a bad sample . . . or just me. I really wanted to like this.
Ron
changabang

Post by changabang »

Merkur. They're consistently bad for me.
James Nicks
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Dorco. Doesn't make any difference if it's the 300s or 301s, they're both blades from hell.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Bic Disposable ...althoug it has been over a decade since I have tried one-
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Surprised to see so little love for the Bolzanos — I love that blade.

The worst I've ever used are two Chinese brands — Flagfish and Bluebird. Atrocious.
cryhavoc

Post by cryhavoc »

changabang wrote:Merkur. They're consistently bad for me.
+1 on Merkur followed closely by the Wallmart Wilkinson
Jay
"Hello Floyd, this is Barney Fife. Who's in the chair...well
get rid of 'em. I'm coming over and I'm ready for action!
That's right, I want the works...shave, haircut, witch hazel,
O.D. cologne, toilet water...If it smells I want it!"
fishgutmartyr

Post by fishgutmartyr »

Seamaster wrote:Surprised to see so little love for the Bolzanos — I love that blade.

The worst I've ever used are two Chinese brands — Flagfish and Bluebird. Atrocious.
+1 on Bluebirds. Even if I somehow manage to not cause lacerations, I get razor burns worse than some sunburns I've experienced.

Miserable things for me.
John.

I'll think of something clever eventually.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I haven't come across the Chinese Bluebirds but those made in Turkey are good blades.
Regards,
Squire
Alebrewer

Post by Alebrewer »

My Turkish Bluebirds are good to me - I'd say better than average.