The ten essential elements of dignity

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
GA Russell

The ten essential elements of dignity

Post by GA Russell »

Here's an article I found interesting about what is required to treat someone with dignity.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/10/ ... test=faces
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

Thanks for sharing. These are important reminders for us all.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

That's excellent, G A. It's something even forgotten occasionally on these forums.

I often think in terms of mutual respect, understanding, seeing through the eyes of the person I'm communicating with, and empathy. Dignity sums it up nicely.

So often overlooked:

If you tell me, "What you said hurt me."
If I respond simply, "That's not what I meant" (i.e. "You are wrong"), I have missed the whole point.
Regardless of what I meant, I didn't communicate effectively if I caused hurt. That can be because I was careless or insensitive with my wording, or it can mean that I trod on an individual's personal sensitivity. If it's the latter, I can take note, apologize, make an adjustment, and know how to treat that sensitivity with dignity the next time.

Thanks, G A -

- Murray
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Beginning to put these ideas into practice only takes a bit of effort and the outcomes are enormous.
Rich
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Outstanding article -- thx for posting.

Interesting how so much good still can come from the golden rule, while many think it not necessary in our day and age. Going hand in hand with treating others with dignity is acting with decorum.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

I also think it is important to be aware of the postive that surrounds us. Certainly some people act poorly and selfishly. Negative experiences can carry so much weight; e.g. a person cuts you off in traffic and it can put you in a foul mood. We are not always good at seeing the dignity that is afforded us on a daily basis.

The gentleman that helped a woman get her baby's stroller down a short flight of stairs. He was going the opposite direction when he stopped to assist.

The lady at a Starbucks I visit asks me if everything is well as I haven't been by in a while.

The young man at the McDonald's drive through that is so genuinely courteous I can't help but smile.

Sometimes it is as important to receive it as give it. :D
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Thank You so very much.
Regards,
Jani
Captain Pre-Capsize

Post by Captain Pre-Capsize »

Good stuff, the personality trait of Character comes to mind as well when reading it. Thanks for sharing (oops, had to correct a typo - accidentally typed the word “shaving” instead of sharing. Freudian slip?

Well yes, thanks for shaving too. :)

Captain’s Choice bay rum aftershave

http://www.captainschoicestore.com/