What to do this winter?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
mikeny278

Post by mikeny278 »

For those who use an alcohol-based aftershave during cold winters, do you also use a moisturizer? Seems that would dampen the scent of any fragrance left over from the aftershave.

Mike
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

I received my Mitchell's Wool Fat about a week ago in the mail. I put off trying it until now because of a variety of factors, including business meetings where I did not want to risk trying a new product that could potentially irritate my face (I look rough enough as it is). So I finally put it to use and I can see why it is so well thought of. Somehow I had gotten the impression that it would be hard to lather, not so for me. The first pass was lacking in water which I chalk up to a rookie mistake as this is my first time using MWF and actually my first time using any shaving soap. Even so it performed very well, but dried out too quickly on my face. Second pass I got the mix a little better and the third pass was golden. It is definitely a keeper.

As for the original intent of this post, I have also realized that the practicality of MWF solving my winter time dryness will probably not work because:

a) I use witch hazel as an aftershave which may remove the residual MWF and thus any protective lanolin.
b) The more products I use, the more I like switching things up (surprise, surprise).

So I have an excuse to experiment further as the winter sets in and will use this post as a source of reference. Thank you all again for your input.

mikeny278 wrote:For those who use an alcohol-based aftershave during cold winters, do you also use a moisturizer? Seems that would dampen the scent of any fragrance left over from the aftershave.

Mike
As for this question, I cannot give a good response as I do not use moisturizers, they just do not seem to get along with may face. However, I think what you say makes sense with the moisturizer potentially covering up your aftershave scent. Or if there is fragrance in the moisturizer, as is often the case, the two may clash.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Andy, I'm coming late to this party, but I recommend Castle Forbes Pre-shave as an aftershave. best stuff I've tried for the winter months.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

Thanks for the info.

Never too late. Heck, Gary/brothers has been digging out 5+ year old threads lately. By comparison, you are prompt. :wink:
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

The idea that the beard keeps the face warmer is not true I think?

Those images where you see some guys with beards and snow are mostly to places where they have no warm water readily available, the old movies. Bearded guys you see also in warmer places like India for the same reason, or maybe it is a religion thing lol.

Central heating and dry air is though a big problem for us northerners in winter time. For my face it is not really hard, but other places get itchy and maybe even skip a shower some days, not yet, but in the becoming winter.

And maybe also have to apply some body lotion like the women do more all the time.

Musgo Real splash is all I need in winter though as an aftershave. I am a using it all year around. And some redness under my jaw i get from too sharp blades since the skin is thinner in cold dry climate. Dissapointed also from Gillette dark blue blade in that department from the past weeks shave.
Jarmo