Trying to minimize the cost of shaving

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
jbc

Trying to minimize the cost of shaving

Post by jbc »

So far I have settled on a single double edge razor and a pack of Dorcos (I am working on a pack of 100 that I got four years ago for $8). So far the most expensive thing for me is the cost of the after shave that I get locally for approximatly $5 a month. While I completely understand that $5 is not much to spend that represents 99% of the monthly cost and I am not ready to give up aftershave entirely. Does anyone use a home made after shave or can you recommend a low cost alternative. I understand that $5 is perhaps hard to beat.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Superior 70 Bay Rum. $2.50/11.5oz. at Walgreen's if your local store carries it (search http://www.walgreens.com to see if they do). Great, soothing splash despite the high alcohol, and it's a very straightforward, natural formulation of alcohol and bay oil.

Dollar General Skin Bracer knockoff if you need more scent.

For balm-type stuff, $5 is about what Nivea Sensitive costs, and a bottle should last more than a month.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Captain Pre-Capsize

Post by Captain Pre-Capsize »

Ah, he beat me to it - Dollar General Store or any other of the Dollar stores has stuff.

I do want to point out though that the title of your thread (I say this based on my own experience) is a daydream. Ha, ha! Based on my past year to put the words “minimize” and “cost of shaving” in the same sentence is a contradiction. Can’t be done for me!

Hello, my name is Scott and I have an acquisition disorder... :D

Captain’s Choice bay rum aftershave

http://www.captainschoicestore.com/

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Quiet Scott, quiet for a moment please, that's the wrong perspective. You see, what we are actually doing is our Patriotic Duty, that's it, our Duty to do what we can to stimulate the economy in these troubled times.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

When I read the topic for this thread I have to admit to thinking ..... "why?".
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
function

Post by function »

I made an AS awhile ago that I still use occasionally. It took some experimentation but the ingredients are as follows:

Gin (the cheap stuff I keep around for breakfast consumption)
Witch Hazel
Glycerin

If you want some scent to it other than the quickly fading Juniper scent of the Gin, you can add herbs or essential/fragrance oils as you wish. One of my reasons was to make it in the first place was to have it be unscented, as to not clash with my colognes.
Personally I used Rosemary in a batch, the wife thought I smelled delicious.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
fishgutmartyr

Post by fishgutmartyr »

This summer I was using straight, generic witch hazel to kill any razor burn I might have had.

But usually I mix witch hazel and aloe gel. I'll vary the proportions to the season; using more aloe in the winter than summer. In the winter, I also add clove essential oil, since I love the smell, and it doesn't clash with the colognes I use during that time. It makes a nice balm, which lasts a good long time; and I still have plenty of hazel/aloe left over to make more if necessary.
John.

I'll think of something clever eventually.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

jww wrote:When I read the topic for this thread I have to admit to thinking ..... "why?".
Mine was "Flee, while you still can".
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

JBC, I expect you can buy something suitable cheaper than you can make it.
Regards,
Squire
levente

Post by levente »

JBC,

You don't say whether you are looking for something soothing, or if your focus is more on scent. I don't need much in the way of the former, so my emphasis tends to be on scents I appreciate. For the budget-minded, it is hard to go wrong with any of the classic American barbershop staples such as Stephan's, Masters and Pinaud, listed here in order of strength, from weakest to strongest. These brands offer a wide variety of flavors. While it is unlikely any are available locally, Appleton Barber Supply and Williamsport Barber Supply both sell most of the lines from these companies. The monthly cost, even with shipping included, will be much less than $5/month, particularly if you go with the larger sizes offered.

Regards,
Basil
fishgutmartyr

Post by fishgutmartyr »

Ok, just mixed some up, 3 oz. Using the prices from a local Wegman's, I calculated that those three ozs cost me about $.19/oz.

2 oz WH @ .13/oz (16 oz=$1.99)
1 oz Aloe @ .21/oz (16 oz=$3.49)
5 drops clove @ .02/drop (.5 oz=$5.49)

.57 total or ~ .19/oz

It should last me around 3 months, and if not, there are plenty of ingredients to make more. In other words; if I wanted to go crazy and and use all of the major ingredients at once, I'd spend around $15 to make 1 1/2 QUARTS of the stuff initially, and still have enough EO left over to make another 3/4 of a gallon for another $15. What one would want to do with over a gallon of balm at once is a different issue entirely, and one I would prefer not to contemplate. :shock:

Summer is even cheaper if I wanted to do this, since I would be using more witch hazel, and less aloe for a thinner consistency. I probably wouldn't use clove, either, since that's a little too strong in the summer.

All in all, for me it compares favorably to the dollar store wonders: I know what's in it, I avoid the alcohol burn, and it's price is comparable.
John.

I'll think of something clever eventually.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

All right now -- we gotta stop all this talk of shaving on a budget. I mean really --- :shock:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

levente wrote:JBC,

You don't say whether you are looking for something soothing, or if your focus is more on scent. I don't need much in the way of the former, so my emphasis tends to be on scents I appreciate. For the budget-minded, it is hard to go wrong with any of the classic American barbershop staples such as Stephan's, Masters and Pinaud, listed here in order of strength, from weakest to strongest. These brands offer a wide variety of flavors. While it is unlikely any are available locally, Appleton Barber Supply and Williamsport Barber Supply both sell most of the lines from these companies. The monthly cost, even with shipping included, will be much less than $5/month, particularly if you go with the larger sizes offered.

Regards,
Basil
I agree completely with Basil! These products are cheap and good when used sparingly. I've learned the hard way, though, when I get overgenerous with one of these, the fragrance goes quickly from subtle and pleasant to too strong, and old man. I know this because my wife told me!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

On aftershave, switching to dollar store knock offs will probably serve you well. For home made, generic brand witch hazel is very hard to beat, especially for the price. if you want to upgrade it, add moisturizing additives like glycerin or aloe gel.

Also, The thought of some one only shaving with Dorcos makes wince. They are probably the worst blade out there. Pm me your address and I will mail you a few blades to try that aren't Dorcos.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

JBC has tried a lot of different blades and he has a very light beard. I think the Dorcos (presumably the ST300s) are very well suited to his requirements.

I used the Dorco ST300s for a year and a half with a Gillette Tech, and I was very happy with them during that time, even though I have a coarse beard. Since then, I have moved on to sharper blades, including the ST301s, which got a decent rating from Squire. Dorco blades aren't for everyone, but they do serve some shavers well.

- Murray
huracan

Post by huracan »

jww wrote:When I read the topic for this thread I have to admit to thinking ..... "why?".

and mine was "you're asking the wrong crowd".

But then the gin recipe came up......I love this place
Lou