Gem Micromatic Open Comb

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Gem Micromatic Open Comb

Post by brothers »

This morning I tried out the first of my 3 old Gem/Schick/Pal SE & adjustable injector razors. I had read comments on the forums about the MM OC being aggressive, and certainly can confirm that! It's going to take a bit of time to get the angle figured out. There is definitly a feel of the edge of the blade resting on the surface of the face. The shave turned out very well. I've had this box of Pellas sitting unopened, so I decided to use one for the first time shaving with the Gem today. I got the feeling that if I lost my concentration for a fraction of a second, I'd get nicked. Luckily, that didn't happen. I'll keep it around and use it pretty often for a few weeks, maybe, just so I can decide whether I like it or not.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to the OCMM user group. I think there might not be very many of us on the forum. I hope you come to like the razor as much as I do.

I absolutely love the OCMM. I'm on record as claiming it among my 2 absolute favorite razors. Where I found it really shown was in shaving the head for the first time after a short buzz cut. It resists clogging big time.

It does require perfect technique as in no pressure though. I find the angle to be forgiving with the huge blade exposure. The sound as it cuts is pretty neat too.

One thing I don't care for is the smooth handle; I prefer sharp knurling as found on an AutoStrop. Someone suggested O-rings in the grooves at the base, and that makes it quite a bit better. I took it to Home Depot to find the right size. I don't remember what that size is at the moment. You can simulate O-rings by wrapping a rubber band 'round and 'round near the grooves to see if you'll like it.

(anyone needing the O-ring size, can ask and I'll trot out to the shop and find the packages)
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brothers

Post by brothers »

So far, I'm of the opinion that the Gem OCMM is an 80 year old cousin of the current production Muhle R41 Toothcomb, in terms of the way it feels when I'm using it. I'm probably not the first to say it is at the far end of the aggressive scale. :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Never used a R41, but from the sound of it I'd probably like it.

(Thumbs up from me)
brothers

Post by brothers »

ShadowsDad wrote:Never used a R41, but from the sound of it I'd probably like it.

(Thumbs up from me)
I agree with you. I'm sending you a PM with a link to the best price I've found for the Muhle R41 with the 2011 OC head.
Gary

itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

I love to shave with my MM occasionally and would love to try an Open Comb Version of it. I'll have to check the bay for one.
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

I think I found one on the bay. Here's hoping I win it
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, I hope you do too Dave.

I just got done reading about the R41 on B&B and what they say about the R41 is exactly why I like the OCMM. Yes, I know one is DE and the other SE. It's an effortless BBS that lasts a very long time and I never get a nick or weeper or any discomfort. I can't say that about less aggressive razors. It's counterintuitive, but that's the way it is. Just be sure to treat it with respect.

Do you know about SE blades? If not, just post a new thread so that we don't hijack this one. There might be something already stickied, I haven't looked for it.
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

ShadowsDad wrote:Well, I hope you do too Dave.

I just got done reading about the R41 on B&B and what they say about the R41 is exactly why I like the OCMM. Yes, I know one is DE and the other SE. It's an effortless BBS that lasts a very long time and I never get a nick or weeper or any discomfort. I can't say that about less aggressive razors. It's counterintuitive, but that's the way it is. Just be sure to treat it with respect.

Do you know about SE blades? If not, just post a new thread so that we don't hijack this one. There might be something already stickied, I haven't looked for it.
I was just talking to a co-worker of mine about the Open Comb MM today and he said he had one he'd let me take for a test drive, but if I get this one off the bay, that will be good enough for me. I've always just used GEM SE Blades (obtained from Walgreens). Are they the best or are there better blades? Admittedly, I've only used a 1912 a few times as well as my MM a couple of times and would like to throw a great aggressive SE Razor into the mix and this one sounds like it's right up my alley.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I hope you win it at a reasonable price, and that you enjoy it!
Gary

itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

brothers wrote:I hope you win it at a reasonable price, and that you enjoy it!
Thanks me too. Now I just need some recommendations on blades. I've always use the GEM SE Razors from Walgreens and frankly have never looked at any other brands. How are the Feather SE's?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

PM sent re: blades.
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

I've missed out on two of them on the bay at the last second. I'll keep looking
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

I personally find that either one of my 1912s is more aggressive than my MM, and a match for my Muhle R41. The Gems are a bit more forgiving than the Muhle, though.

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

The MMOC is by far my favorite razor and I have 3 of them (all found at local antique stores for a steal!). I've yet to find another SE that is as efficient and DEs rarely serve me well. Best result I get from a DE is from a Slim opened up full throttle with a feather.

Unlike ShadowsDad, I actually prefer the handle of the MMs and have no problem handling them. Some of the knurling on some handles feels too much like sandpaper to me. I can use the MMOC daily, but as has been said it requires attention and respect. I've had a few shaves get closer than desired and required taking a few days off from shaving or switching to a milder shave such as I get from a 1912 or a featherweight. I'm excited to be getting a Heavy Flat Top soon so I can see how it compares. Regardless of how that shaves, I love how it looks!

My blade of choice in all my SEs is the Ted Pellas PTFE coated. I ordered 200 so the price per blade is ridiculous, especially considering that I can easily get a full week's worth of shaves from a single blade and have even pushed them to 2 weeks. However, I prefer changing them out weekly.
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

itsmedave wrote:I've missed out on two of them on the bay at the last second. I'll keep looking
I'm sending you a PM to see about one of my extra MMOCs.

itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

Had my first shave with my OC MM. Great shave and pretty darn close as well. I had bad experiences with every single edge razor I'd tried up till this point. Finally, i had a shave with a SE that I didn't have to clean up with a DE afterwards.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Excellent! I'm glad you liked it.

Did you use the Walgreens blade? I'm pretty sure it's a GEM SS blade, don't know if it's coated though. If I'm wrong I hope someone corrects me so that I don't lead you astray with what follows.

If you like the shave and decide to use it often, there are 2 outfits that have that blade ridiculously inexpensive per blade when bought in bulk. Ted Pella (Stock #121-3 - GEM SS ptfe coated with a triple facet edge) and the other outfit I can't remember. Or look for a group buy on B&B.

Coincidentally, today was my day for the OCMM also, and I was instantly reminded of exactly why I love the razor so much. Same reasons that you wrote. Plus the sound. I love the sound of all SE razors as they mow the whiskers.
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

I'm pretty sure that the Walgreen's blades are Gem SS. I don't believe that they are PTFE coated though. The other location for blades is http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/pro ... lades.aspx . I purchased through Pella & I'm very pleased with the coated blades!

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I'm pretty sure all stainless blades have a teflon coating, because otherwise they would be very harsh.