a Cedar Scented Shave Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
timthepenman

a Cedar Scented Shave Cream

Post by timthepenman »

Anyone know, where one could get a Cedar Scented Shave Cream. I have tried one's that are close, but still not to my liking.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Last edited by timthepenman on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
fall down 7, get up 8 !
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

I would be interested also. Cedar is a nice aroma.

Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

My obvious choice is one of the most intoxicating shaving cream fragrances I've ever experienced. I'm talking about Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood. An excellent product, in my opinion.

Open the tub and sniff the cream, and imagine you're holding a plank of fresh cut aromatic cedar. That's how it smells to me.

Other guys haven't been quite so positive. Kind of reminds me of the disparity of opinions we see about the fragrance of Cella. It's funny how much our individual senses of smell can be so different.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

brothers wrote:My obvious choice is one of the most intoxicating shaving cream fragrances I've ever experienced. I'm talking about Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood. An excellent product, in my opinion.

Open the tub and sniff the cream, and imagine you're holding a plank of fresh cut aromatic cedar. That's how it smells to me.

Other guys haven't been quite so positive. Kind of reminds me of the disparity of opinions we see about the fragrance of Cella. It's funny how much our individual senses of smell can be so different.
Holy Cucamonga Gary,

As you may know, you're sorta in the minority about that stuff smelling like fresh cut cedar. For example, to my nose the CF sandalwood scent has both mushroom and fresh dirt notes...not much if any cedar though. No offense meant of course, but just showing the OP how opinions can vary.

Best cedar/woodsy cream would be DR Harris Marlborough. Another alternative would be to use a good quality unscented cream like AOS and add some cedar EO to a small batch and see what hqppens.

Martin
brothers

Post by brothers »

L. Martino wrote:
brothers wrote:My obvious choice is one of the most intoxicating shaving cream fragrances I've ever experienced. I'm talking about Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood. An excellent product, in my opinion.

Holy Cucamonga Gary,

As you may know, you're sorta in the minority about that stuff smelling like fresh cut cedar. For example, to my nose the CF sandalwood scent has both mushroom and fresh dirt notes...not much if any cedar though. No offense meant of course, but just showing the OP how opinions can vary.

Best cedar/woodsy cream would be DR Harris Marlborough. Another alternative would be to use a good quality unscented cream like AOS and add some cedar EO to a small batch and see what hqppens.

Martin
Martin, it's wierd isn't it! I know I'm in the minority, but I think the person who developed the fragrance on behalf of Castle Forbes is a genius and a wizard. I owe her (or him) a debt of gratitude.

I like DRH Marlborough, but have never thought it had any cedar component. It's kind of an interpretation of Sandalwood, to my quirky nose.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

brothers wrote: Martin, it's wierd isn't it! I know I'm in the minority, but I think the person who developed the fragrance on behalf of Castle Forbes is a genius and a wizard. I owe her (or him) a debt of gratitude.

I like DRH Marlborough, but have never thought it had any cedar component. It's kind of an interpretation of Sandalwood, to my quirky nose.
Well it was such a big deal when the CF was finally brought to market. A looong delay and lots of anticipation as the final product was being tweaked, and then this stuff shows up. Craziest interpretation of sandalwood that I can remember huffing. I'm glad it works well for you though.
brothers

Post by brothers »

HAHA. I hear you. :lol:
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Al's Shaving will customize a scent for you. He has some very good cedarwood oil on hand and has a couple of his house scents that feature cedar prominently. I am working with him right now on a custom scent for me using EOs of cedar, clary sage, and vetiver, plus some oakmoss absolute, in fact.

I am not affiliated with Al's Shaving, just a satisfied customer. You won't find a better lathering cream.

That said, among ready-made products, I favor Marlborough over Cade or CF, but I like all three. Also, consider Fitjar Miklagard, which has lots of rosewood and sandalwood, too, but is basically a lumberyard in shave cream form.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
shaveking

Post by shaveking »

tim---do a search for st. james cedarwood & clarysage shave cream
excellent product and great scent.

pete
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Good call, Pete. Creighton's made cream. Incredible scent.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tim is Harris Marlborough among the ones you have tried?
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

shaveking wrote:tim---do a search for st. james cedarwood & clarysage shave cream
excellent product and great scent.

pete
Sounds like a strong contender.
Gary

Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Taylor's Shaving Shop.
Regards,
Jani
diggity

Post by diggity »

Ah, one of my favorite's that was discontinued was the Charles Tyrwhitt Cedar and Lemon. But unfortunately they no longer make it.
Nathan
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I'll add QCS Provence, if don't mind some other stuff mixed in.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
timthepenman

Post by timthepenman »

wow, this recipe sounds great. I will have to wander over there, and see what I can have made for me. thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions!

Tim

TRBeck wrote:Al's Shaving will customize a scent for you. He has some very good cedarwood oil on hand and has a couple of his house scents that feature cedar prominently. I am working with him right now on a custom scent for me using EOs of cedar, clary sage, and vetiver, plus some oakmoss absolute, in fact.

I am not affiliated with Al's Shaving, just a satisfied customer. You won't find a better lathering cream.

That said, among ready-made products, I favor Marlborough over Cade or CF, but I like all three. Also, consider Fitjar Miklagard, which has lots of rosewood and sandalwood, too, but is basically a lumberyard in shave cream form.

Regards,
Tim
fall down 7, get up 8 !
drumana

Post by drumana »

Penhaligon's Opus 1870 shave cream is another option.
-Andrew-