Tossing out the President (not political)

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Captain Pre-Capsize

Tossing out the President (not political)

Post by Captain Pre-Capsize »

I’ve decided to no longer fool with pennies, just isn’t worth it. Round it to the nearest nickel I say!

Captain’s Choice bay rum aftershave

http://www.captainschoicestore.com/

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Another generation using plastic will do away with coins.
Regards,
Squire
Rob

Post by Rob »

Overseas US military bases don't work with pennies either. Or, at least, the ones I was stationed at or visited never did. I'm all for rounding to the nickel as well.
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

trade in all yer pennies for shinier higher value change or dollars..hehe..too bad they wont buy any soaps or creames or blades anymore :(
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I lived in Finland between 1979 and 1981 -- while they still had the penni coin, it was never used -- merchants simply rounded up or down. Not sure how that has worked since they went with the euro however.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

Shucks, I thought this thread was going to be about Berlusconi's resignation earlier this evening... :D
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

Here's a pertinent reply instead. In my experience, many places in Italy will round up or down unless you have exact change handy. They won't be bothered with counting pennies and seem to want to spare you that annoyance, too. Such allowances, however, are usually made when the proprietor is behind the counter, so in large stores this practice is unheard of.

On another note, a pet peeve of mine is when I'm not quick enough releasing the handle and pump $20.01 worth of gas. The clerks used to let it slide, but lately they've been insisting on payment of the one cent, even when it requires breaking a $20 note. That only has ever happened to me while I'm visiting my parents in Montreal, however.

Regards,
Daniel
Last edited by daniel051 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
function

Post by function »

Some local restaurants round to the nearest dollar. It is not for lack of wanting to use change, it is more often a function of poorly educated employees who cannot figure it out.
I'd get upset over this if the breakfast tacos weren't so darn good.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

And while you're at it get one and two dollar coins into circulation. I somehow got a yankee loonie when I was getting change.
Richard
brothers

Post by brothers »

Reading all of the above tends to make me start to agree with the likelihood it'll all go to plastic or even bypass the plastic and have some kind of built-in wireless digital real time accounting system that just tracks us for everything including spending and earning, buying and selling, you name it. I'm not looking forward to that.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

An rfid "credit chit" like in a cyberpunk novel, huh? I can see that happening someday. There are already a few such cards for toll booths and gas stations.
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Sargon wrote:An rfid "credit chit" like in a cyberpunk novel, huh? I can see that happening someday. There are already a few such cards for toll booths and gas stations.
A few years ago, I heard of a grocery store experimenting with RFID chipped shopping carts and packaging: scan your card to the cart, put items in cart, walk out the door, and everything is automatically charged to your card. No baggers or cashiers. Security concerns out the wazoo, to be sure, but an interesting idea.
Regards,
Mike
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

jww wrote:I lived in Finland between 1979 and 1981 -- while they still had the penni coin, it was never used -- merchants simply rounded up or down. Not sure how that has worked since they went with the euro however.
Just the same. If you don't use plastic, of course.
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

This is a great little video!

http://youtu.be/y5UT04p5f7U
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .